Coconut Flour

Options
Hey there, has anyone ever baked with coconut flour, and do you have any good recipes?

Replies

• love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Yes, yes I have. It's awesome!

Blueberry Banana Muffins

Servings: 12
    Preparation Time: 15 minutes

1/2 cup coconut flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup banana puree
    3 eggs- large
    1/2 cup milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    zest and juice from one lemon (can be omitted if you don't have one on hand--or you can use lemon extract)
    1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
    1 cup blueberries

Combine and sift dry ingredients

Puree or mash 2 medium bananas (about 1 cup) and mix with eggs, one at a time. Mix in milk.

Add vanilla extract, lemon juice and zest then combine with dry ingredients.

Finally, fold in blueberries and walnuts (if using)

Back for 18 to 20 minutes at 400 degrees
  • deeoleary38
    deeoleary38 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I am gonna try those today :happy:
    Options
    Report back with your review :)
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    There are cookbooks on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. Just enter "coconut flour" into the search box!
  • SleeplessinBerlin
    SleeplessinBerlin Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I made these muffins and they are lovely. So moist. I added a tablespoon of coconut nectar to the mix, because my bananas weren't very ripe yet. Will definitely do them again! The way I did them they were 90 kcal per piece!
    Options
    so happy you liked them! :)
  • skinnytayy
    skinnytayy Posts: 459
    Options
    YES! I looooove using coconut flour.

Try searching for gluten free recipes, grain free, and/or paleo/primal recipes. Personally I use paleomg.com & civilizedcookingcreations.com for baking recipes .. many of them use coconut flour and/or almond flour and I've never had any issues with the recipes I've tried.
  • Sebidian
    Sebidian Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • _rozamu
    _rozamu Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • SleeplessinBerlin
    SleeplessinBerlin Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    so happy you liked them! :)

I did, and my 1,5yo did too! :)
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    BUMP: I can't use coconut flour, but hopefully the OP can get a lot of ideas.
  • LesaLu4
    LesaLu4 Posts: 83
    Options
    Maybe this is a strange question but has anyone tried adding it to a smoothie?
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I really like both coconut flour, almond flour(meal) and flax meal. I have celiac sprue and am diabetic, so gluten free, low-carb and high fiber are necessities.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I used coconut flour with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper instead of wheat flour to coat chicken pieces for oven-fried chicken. Used butter and coconut oil for the baking fat. It adds a subtle flavor that I really like.
  • Bejede
    Bejede Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • _rozamu
    _rozamu Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Just made these and ate one . . . They are delicious!!!!! Thanks for sharing!
    Options
    Just made these and ate one . . . They are delicious!!!!! Thanks for sharing!

You're very welcome! So glad that everyone likes them!
  • dz8397
    dz8397 Posts: 3
    Options
    Here's my husband's favorite recepie with coconut flour:

http://candiceslowcarbrecipes.typepad.com/blog-deleted-20120823-jzosl/2010/12/candices-low-carb-peanut-butter-cookiescoconut-flour-version.html

Candice’s Low Carb Peanut Butter Cookies(Coconut Flour Version)

For me Peanut Butter is one of those slippery things. Sometimes I do fine..and well other times it is a trigger for me to crave more and more sweets.
    I really do love peanut butter and especially cookies made with it but I found my old recipe was just to much at times, being too sweet that is.. and it was way to easy to over eat them. I know from talking to others, I was not the only one!
    I wanted to do something less sweet and more filling. Ultimately my goal was so you get filled up on 1 cookie and not feel the need to keep eating/craving. This is why I have a new recipe using coconut flour. Coconut flour is a totally awesome thing.. it's mostly all fiber so a little goes a long way! When testing out recipe & different bake times, I tasted 1/2 a cookie at each bake time and to be completely honest by the last batch(2 1/2 cookies later) I was stuffed.. I mean I could not eat another bite. It was pretty funny to, I gave one to my son to eat for dessert and he only finished 1/4 and did not eat anything the rest of the evening.. he was filled up as well!

Hope you enjoy!

Candice’s Low Carb Peanut Butter Cookies(Coconut Flour Version)

December7th2010#cropmed

Ingredients:

1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temp
    3/4 cup peanut butter(sugar & salt free, all natural)
    3/4 cup granulated splenda
    3 large eggs
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    1/2 cup coconut flour
    3/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350F

In small bowl add coconut flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
    Cream butter & peanut butter until combined in mixer with paddle attachment. Add splenda and cream until light and fluffy.
    Add eggs 1 at a time while mixer is running. Add Vanilla and beat on med until all combined.
    Lately add your coconut flour mixture.
    Mix till just combined on low, then turn mixer on MED/HIGH and beat till mixture is completely smooth.

(Dough can be refrigerate in an airtight container for at least an hour to make firmer. This will make it easier to scoop and work with but totally not necessary. Dough can be working with right away)

Line cookie sheet with parchment paper, or nonstick baking liner.
    Scoop with a 1 Tablespoon cookie scoop(#60), if you don’t have one, scoop 1 Tablespoon then roll in your hand to make ball.
    Press down cookie with with a fork making a crisscross pattern

Bake @ 350F for 8-10 minutes

Nutritional information for 1 cookie:

Energy 78 kcal
    Carbohydrate, TOTAL 2.52 g
    Sugars, total 0.55 g
    Fiber, total dietary 1.12 g
    Protein 2.87 g
    Total lipid (fat) 6.46 g

NET CARBS: 1.4 g
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member