Kettlebells anyone??

Options
Who does kettlebells. How heav are your bells? I am older and out of shape. Any suggestions for how much weight I should be using. I have a good book describing the kettlebell swing, but I don't recall how much weight she says to start with...for a real beginner.
Thanks for any and all suggestions.:flowerforyou:

Replies

• sabrakay1
    sabrakay1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've only done kettlebells a few times. I am in my mid-40s with about 50 extra pounds and i'm not in the best of shape. My strength is really lacking. Anyway, I started with the lightest kettlebell I could find @ 5 lbs. It may sound like it is too light, but I found that for me, it's pretty decent and challenging. I mean I have no upper body strength so even the repeated exercises with such a small weight was a workout :) I have a Bob Harper kettlebell workout which is challenging. I just purchased a Gin Miller kettlebell dvd for beginners. Haven't tried that one yet but she has a tutorial to start so we can learn the correct form. I plan on increasing the weight before Christmas.
  • Leesespieces412
    Leesespieces412 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    i've been doing kettlebell workouts for about a month now and i LOVE them. what to start with depends on how your fitness level is now. are you just starting to work out? or have you been working out in other ways?

all the kettlebell workouts i've seen advise that you should make sure you master the proper form with a lighter weight, and once you feel comfortable with the forms, move onto something bigger. there's a lot of swinging involved and you don't want to get injured. i started with a 10lb, may sound a bit high but for most exercises you're using your body to propel the kettlebell and not just your arms. it was enough to get me sore for a day or two and then after that i was good! after maybe 2 weeks i moved up to a 20lb. i'm still using the 20lb. i made such a big jump because they are kind of expensive and it's just not worth it to go gradually.

some awesome workouts are fitness blender's beginner's kettlebell workout on youtube. gofit also sells a kettlebell that comes with a dvd. jillian michaels has one as well, and there's a series of workouts called "kettleworx" but i haven't tried those.

i think the best way to decide which one you should start with is go to the store and pick up the different weights. you should be able to pick it up comfortably and think about whether you could lift the thing 50 or so times and be tired at the end. if that's not feasible at all, then it's too heavy. if it's too easy, then it's too light. i'd say 8-15 pounds to start. good luck!!!!
  • Sreed9901
    Sreed9901 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just started week 4 of the "Kettelworx" dvds. I started using the 5 lb kettlebell. I now use the 10 lb for the ab work outs and for cardio and resistance workouts I still use the 5lbs. I haven't exercised in a VERY long time and am severely out of shape. I have noticed though you need to watch the kettlebell handles. The 5lb one we have has a wide handle and is very easy to grip but the 10lb one has a narrower handle which makes certain holds a little bit harder.
    I do a workout every day but Saturday and I have lost 8.2 lbs since I started. I think the guy that does the video is a little bit creepy but after getting past that I think it is a pretty good workout especially for a beginner like me.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I started with a 10 lb kb.
    My sister gave me kettleworx a few years ago for my birthday.

Quickly went up to 15 lbs.
    Now I have a 20 lb.
    But I do KB mostly during the winter so I start off lighter.

My goal is to work up to a pood :)

The best video I have now is one by Lisa Balash.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I started with 10lbs and now I'm using a 15lb one. I'm struggling with the 15lb. one for the single arm exercises, but refuse to go back down to 10lbs. I feel wimpy enough as it is.
  • MissPeppers
    MissPeppers Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells are great! I started with 9 lb using FitnessBlender's beginner kettlebell exercise in the beginning of September I think, moved up to the full length exercise with 16 lb after three weeks or so, and I'm now up to a 26 lb bell on most swings and press with the "full length" routine. Hope to extend to a 35 lb bell within a couple of weeks, it just feels great to see how much stronger I've become! Still struggle with a couple of exercises though, the Turkish get-up is still killing me with the 16 lb bell. But I guess it gets better :smokin:
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Yep, the fitnessblender kettlebell workouts are great...I use 12lb weight normally but for the deadlifts and squats I use 20lbs as the kettlebell I have is adjustable.

It really kicks *kitten*!
  • Junglejoyce
    Junglejoyce Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Walmart has a set 10 - 15 - 20lb online that I ordered. I have been working out for a little while but I'm not consistent. I have Tracy Reifkinds book "The Swing" that teaches form and I have a very light bell - 4 or 5lbs. I am ready to graduate up. Just not sure how heavy to go. Tracy's workouts aren't very long, but are intense. So far I like them too!!:happy:
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Luuurve kettlebells. I have a shoulder injury at the moment so can't go to classes, which I'm gutted about!

I started doing kettlebells very early on in my weight loss, and I was a) very unfit and b) not very strong at all. I started off with a 4kg bell, then moved up in 2kg weights at a time.

Most recently, I used a 16kg - but bear in mind I'm now a lot lighter and a lot stronger! I sometimes keep a 14kg on hand if I'm just not feeling strong enough to do some of the isolation exercises (dips, cleans etc). I think it's sometimes quite a good idea to have a variety of weights for just such an occasion.

All the best, and enjoy!
  • DBBA21
    DBBA21 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • twinkychops
    twinkychops Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I saw this as hubby was going to get me one for christmas and i had wondered what weight to start with :)
  • scrappy25
    scrappy25 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    ditto on the walmart set of 10-15-20. 10 is the perfect starting weight and you will be up to 20 in a few months if you do it regularly. Sarah Lurie has a 4 dvd set on Amazon for $10 which included tutorials and 3 great workouts, this is my go-to set
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    make sure you have a RKC trained trainer or you could really hurt yourself.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Options
    Fitness Blender is not true kettlebell training... be careful
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I do kettlebells sometimes with my trainer. Even though she is always watching me, I still mess up on form sometimes. It's very easy to hurt your back using kettlebells, especially if you haven't been working out lately. Start very low and get proper training so you don't injure yourself.
  • madworld1
    Options
    I tried kettle bells. My wrists were black and blue after. I don't think my form was proper. But, I was following the videos EXACTLY. So, I have no clue what I was doing wrong.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Options
    if you are on your own, you should start with a 10lb (or 4K) only if you know how to swing. I will put up a free demonstration.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Options
    what move were you doing? the clean?
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Options
    i will put up an instructional video
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Options
    it is backed up with science... 1200 calories in one hour! without moving your feet! awesome