Metformin?

Options
Who here has experience with Metformin? Did you have side effects? How did you handle them? Did you get over them?

I need some support. I started it today and I have a splitting headache & terrible nausea.

This passes, right?

Replies

• chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    i have been on it since 2006. i didn't have any. i hear that ones who do it goes away within a few weeks. some it doesn't and they have to go on something else.
    sorry i couldn't be of better help.
  • stringsNlinks
    stringsNlinks Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Metformin... what is this?
  • thicansxy
    Options
    I was on metformin for about 3 yrs. In the beginning I do remember side effects. The only one I can remember was moody. I did not gain any weight, with some it helps you to lose weight. I think it might have helped with wanting more sex, unless its just me. I was taking it to help me get pregnant (it did not work) I have PCOS but the side effect (moody) did not last long if I remember correctly. Hope that helped.
  • lpeavy
    lpeavy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I can't take it. I have a major headache in the afternoons and dizziness with it. I've even tried to take half of a pill and can't because of the side effects.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I was on metformin for about three months one time. My doctor used as a way to curve my cravings for sweets and reduce my belly fat. She said studies showed this to help. I did not have any side effects that I noticed. I would suggest taking it at least for a couple of days when you can spend time at home(weekend) and can relax/sleep off any side effects it may cause. It may not actually be the metformin causing your problems. Good luck with it!
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    lori strickland...do you know metformin is a diabetes drug...I have never heard of it used for diet control....its for diabetes..i took it for about 3 years...it never caused any side effects...maybe its a man thing...
  • lazygirllosesweight
    Options
    Well, it's also prescribed to combat the insulin resistance that comes with PCOS. But yes, it's a blood sugar drug. I haven't heard of it for weight loss either.
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    oops
  • lunglady
    Options
    Metformin... what is this?

I'll start by saying I'm board certified in Internal Medicene, Pulmonary Medicine, and Critical Care Medicine.

It is a diabetes medication (a biguanide). One of it's useful "side effects" is weight loss. it is not FDA-approved for this use, but we do like to give to overweight type II diabetics for that reason.

PCOS can be thought of as a prediabetic state (decreased insulin sensitivity). In this group, metformin causes weight loss. It also restores normal menstruation.

Hope this answers your question.

JMC, MD
  • PeachyKeene
    Options
    "lori strickland...do you know metformin is a diabetes drug...I have never heard of it used for diet control....its for diabetes"

Yes, I did know that metformin is for diabetes, but my doctor thought it would help with lowering my blood sugar, which in turn would help stop my cravings for sweets. She said her logic behind this was the more sugar in your blood, the more you have spikes of insulin and you crave more sweets, which in turn causes excess belly fat. I would have to agree that she must know a little bit about it because I have lost a total of 37 pounds under her care. Some medicines can safely be used for other problems other than what they are commonly prescribed for because metformin is also used for; polycystic ovary syndrome(PCOS), non-alcoholic fatty liver disease(NAFLD), premature puberty, to reduce the blood levels of thyroid-stimulating hormone in patients with hypothyroidism, etc...
  • willnorton
    Options
    well lori...all i said was that i was on it for 3 years and i had never head of it being used as a weight loss drug.....do you feel better now...all i said was...i have never heard of it.........

dang.......go kick the dog and be a little nicer to your fellow humans...didnt mean to upset you women

sorry
  • willnorton
    Options
    oh by the way lunglady....

I'm an astronaut .................:bigsmile:

good luck on your journey ....
  • averys7
    averys7 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My husband takes it and he gets major diahrea from it...so don't take to much to soon
  • PeachyKeene
    Options
    well lori...all i said was that i was on it for 3 years and i had never head of it being used as a weight loss drug.....do you feel better now...all i said was...i have never heard of it.........

dang.......go kick the dog and be a little nicer to your fellow humans...didnt mean to upset you women

sorry

Sorry Will! Bad day, short fuse!
  • willnorton
    Options
    lol...yes its been kinda messed up...i apologize if i was rude.....

good luck
  • lunglady
    Options
    oh by the way lunglady....

I'm an astronaut .................:bigsmile:

good luck on your journey ....

Some people like to know their information comes from a reliable source. My information doesn't come from Google or Wikipedia, but from years of prescribing the drug.