newby!

Options
hey everyone!
so i just started tracking my calories last week. i managed to lose 4 lbs in 7 days so i'm feeling pretty optimistic. i drank a lot of water too so i kinda feel like it was mostly water weight. is it likely that i can keep up a 4 lb per week average? that would be great :)

Replies

• SpectreCGR
    Options
    Hello Ambersfrog,

Welcome. To answer your question, it is possible to loose that much per week but it really isn't healthy. To keep you healthy and to look toned with your weight loss, you should plan a calorie deficit of no more than 1000 calories below your BMR added to your exercise caloric usage. If you plan a total of 1000 calorie deficit, you will loose on the average of 2 pounds of fat weight per week.

Remember that the scale is a very poor measurement of success, especially in the beginning if you are also exercising as you will initially gain muscle weight along with the fat loss which can show up as a wash on the scale. You will notice it in the mirror though. Make sure you use the tools on this site to also track your measurements which when used together with a scale, provide much better metrics.
  • ambersfrog
    Options

i would be thrilled with 2 lbs a week but i have given myself the expectation that if i continue to work out i may not see the difference on the scale but i will eventually see it in my body, which after all is the ultimate goal. i just tend to get a little over zealous when i first start to see that number drop! i will take your advice and get my measurements, it will help to see those go down even if the number on my scale doesn't. i suffer from " instant gratification syndrome " ...workin on it though!