Sugar!

Options
How does anyone actually follow their sugar intake during the day? I am already negative in points after breakfast and most of that sugar is from my milk! How frustrating! I do my best to eat natural sugars as often as possible, but almost everything else has some sugar in it (even breads, pastas, etc.). As long as the sugars are not refined & you eat little of them, what's the big deal?

Replies

• jcompton3821
    Options
    I need help with this too...I just recently added sugar to my "Food Diary" and when I looked back over the days I am in the red on all my days....and I didnt think I was eating that many "sweets"....what matters and what doesn't...if I'm staying close to my calorie count aren't I doing ok??
  • annastasia76
    annastasia76 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I only pay attention to added sugars, if it's naturally in it then I don't pay any attention to it. when it comes to bread and such, try to stay with the whole wheat, remember that your body will convert starch to sugar, you want your body to work hard on digesting it though so try as whole and natural as possible.
  • incircles_lp2
    incircles_lp2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice:) I do my best not to eat overly processed sugars. I can't help myself to chocolate from time to time though!
  • katznketo
    katznketo Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic so I am always looking at sugar since I do not take meds.

Milk, juice, fruit and potatoes all have natural sugar. If you eat food that is white flour, it is converted very quickly to sugar in your body.

So I do not drink milk, eat yogurt, cottage cheese, drink juice, but in very, very small quantities if at all. And only if I'm going to the gym.

I try to stick to foods that will not spike a persons blood sugar. Because when you eat sugar, or foods that convert to sugar rapidly say like potatoes, your sugar goes up and then falls. This makes a person hungry. And that's the last thing I need. Not only that, it gives me a headache.

So I stick to small amounts of whole grain like oatmeal for a carb. it is metabolized slowly. And I eat veggies and protein. It I am going to the gym, then I eat the oatmeal or if I am going to be very active. The goal is for anyone to eat food often in small amounts and foods that will not raise blood sugars quickly.
    Hope this helps. kc