Portion Sizes

Hey I am about to cook some rice and vegetables and was wondering how many grams of dried wholegrain rice is a healthy portion and will not hinder my weight loss thanks :)

Like how many actual grams, the packet says one portion is 75g of uncooked, is this too much? and lol im english so i dont really know what a 'cup' is xx

Replies

• cnelson1974
    cnelson1974 Posts: 235 Member
    I don't have it written anywhere, but I will usually eat 1 cup of rice for every 2 cups of veggies when I add rice to my dinner. I eat the veggies and protein first, so if i'm full I don't finish the rice.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    I cook 1/4 cup of dry rice for a portion at 150 calories
  • asarwe
    asarwe Posts: 73 Member
    Depends... I eat 100g boiled when I eat rice. That would be like something like 30g dry. But then I normally eat tons of veg as well, so the rice is there just because it tastes nice.
  • AmiC0717
    AmiC0717 Posts: 440 Member
    I wonder if it makes a difference in white, brown or wild rice??? Any ideas? I've never been a white rice eater but I will eat brown or wild. I've tried to cut it out though simply for calories and at times I miss it.
  • Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    I usually find that 1/2 cup of rice is a perfect size ...at least for me.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    I wonder if it makes a difference in white, brown or wild rice??? Any ideas? I've never been a white rice eater but I will eat brown or wild. I've tried to cut it out though simply for calories and at times I miss it.

Brown rice will have more nutrients left than white, not sure about if any calorific difference though

"wild " rice is not really rice, it is a type of grass seed but I do not know about it's nutritional content

I weigh my food prior to cooking it, and when I weighed out 100 grammes of rice I decided then that I would not trade the calories for the small amount of cooked rice I would finish up with, but that is just my thought and each to their own
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member

"wild " rice is not really rice, it is a type of grass seed but I do not know about it's nutritional content

Wild rice is "really" rice unlike the hybridized junk you usually get. It is the original rice that grew wild before man started messing with it. Just like maize is the original form of corn.