Gluten free

Options

Replies

• lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    My understanding with oats is that most oats are processed in facilities that also process foods with gluten. Therefore, there can be cross contamination.

As far as foods that are always gluten free - just read the label. Things that are gluten free will include it on the label. Brown rice pasta is gluten free, Mary's Gone Crackers are also gluten free (they're basically seeds and are delicious) as are anything by Mary's, and I think that spelt, kamut, quinoa, etc. are also gluten free as long as they are produced in a factory that does not make anything with gluten or does not cross contaminate. Bob's Red Mill is a pretty good brand in this regard - they make a lot of different flours that do not contain gluten. Also, depending on where you live, there may be local bakeries that are gluten free. (source: my sister has celiac disease, so all of our houses are pretty much gluten free to accommodate her.)

Also, I think soy sauce was mentioned as something that has gluten - that is true, but Tamari sauce (which is a less processed form of soy sauce) does not.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    Celiac disease is not an allergy and not an intolerance, but an autoimmune disease closely related to type 1 diabetes, and can run alongside diabetes or Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. I am a diagnosed celiac and recently also with hypothyroid.

GF diet does not help you lose weight, rather more people gain weight after starting one. I am gluten free since 2002 and gained a lot of weight. There are no enzymes, no treatments that will stop the reaction of the body of someone with celiac disease attacking the intestinal lining after eating gluten. I have heard that there is research going on for a vaccine but that is a long way off.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    This is not a diet Ques, rather a gluten free ques. Does anyone practice this for gluten allergy?Celiac disease and if so please give me heads up of where they hide. Clearly I know the obviously culprits, (Wheat, flour, barley and sometimes oats), but I've been told it hides in seasoning, soy sauce, restaurant foods etc. HELP. After careful consideration and research I"m willing to give this a shot for painful painful digestive issues.
    Anything else you have to offer, ... advice, great reads, etc... feel free to throw that in too.
    Please & thank you in advance.
    .... miserable :sick:
    Ps- even better can you name 10 boxed/pre packaged foods it's NEVER in? I feel like I can't eat anything anymore.

Rice Chex is my morning standby boxed cereal.

Celiac as I stated previous is not an allergy, if you think you have it, you really should see a doctor and go through the testing - going gluten free before doing the testing will interfere with the test accuracy, as antibody levels will go down on a gluten free diet and intestinal damage will begin to heal.

There is such a thing as gluten intolerance but it is not the same thing as celiac disease. In celiac disease, the body mistakes the intestinal lining as foreign and attacks it after eating gluten
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Look on the back of the pkg, most will have the allergy info & say wheat. If not, read the ingredients & look for wheat in them. I'm still sort of new to this as well, so idk all the hidden places it's in either. Unfortunately it is in a ton of things or it feels like it to me. For pasta, try brown rice pasta. It is delish! Better than reg pasta to me. They make Gluten Free bread, crackers & the like. I cant find any bread where I live, but I like the crackers.
    I noticed people saying oats. If you like them, you can buy Gluten free oats :) Some ranch dressings have it & even some ice cream. Just read the back of the pkg & ur label.
    I stopped because of an apparent intolerance. It makes my tummy hurt & have so much pressure it feels like it's going to pop open.
  • shorty35565
    Options
    choccy doesnt usually contain gluten
    neither do crisps (or 'chips' if your American, but then i never know how you tell the difference between a 'chip' and a chip) anyway

you just have to be organised, make your own food

Frusli bars are great
    9 bars if you have them...

ummm, i'm probably not the best person to ask, because i dont live in america (and i am assuming you do)

but i found a lot of my digestive problems vanished after giving up gluten (and dairy too)

goodluck!

Doritos have gluten!
  • shorty35565
    Options
    Silly ques and I don't have any in the house to just go read a label but are whole grains gluten free?

Whole grain rice is gluten free. Quinoa is as well. Like others says, just read the label
  • jodigirl03
    Options
    Thank you!!! All of you! I'm going to use all resources offered here and probably purchase a good book on it so I can have something that's with me and on hand always. Any suggestions?
  • drivermi
    Options
    I'm 19 and have been diagnosed with Celiac Disease for 7 months. The hardest transition you will have is reading labels and eating out. Anything that is Teriakyi contains gluten because it generally is made with a soy sauce that contains wheat. Sushi places you cannot have fake crab as it contains fillers, so make sure you ask at any place if it is real seafood or not. You must also avoid ( which you probably know) anything deep fried, as well as cooked in a communal fryer. For example, McDonalds french fries are safe as they have their own dedicated deep fryer, but Wendy's cook their fries in the same as chicken fingers, etc, therefore not safe. If you're just starting out gluten free I found eating basic foods was the easiest way to transition myself into these habits. Basically fruit, veggies and meat. The best gluten free bread that's grocery store bought is Glutino Genius, in my town it is found at a local SuperStore. Costco sells Mary's Gluten Free organic crackers that are made from seeds, and are really good. A lot of Red Mill and Glutino products you can't tell that they are gluten free and are very good, such as already made cookies and mixes. A cheaper way to making pasta is going to a bulk store and buying rice pasta, rather than boxes found in the gluten free isle. Anything like Quaker Granola Bars are NOT safe. It is easily cross contaminated. Sorry that this is a lot thrown at you but hope this helps :)
  • nmtGurl
    nmtGurl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Doritos have gluten!

Actually, as of 2011, the majority of Doritos flavors do not have gluten (in the US.) But like many other products, may be produced on manufacturing lines with gluten.

http://www.fritolay.com/our-snacks/doritos.html
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking of going gluten free... but, I think I'd go crazy. There's just so much you can't eat anymore.

Actually you still can have a lot of things, it just about finding the alternatives to items you use to have. such as pasta I have found a pasta that anyone who has ever ate it never knew it was gluten free. It is called bionaturae, I buy it on amazon in bulk. Much cheaper that way.

Also making things from scratch can be a wonderful way to find those things you miss. I make my holiday cookies (and other things) using gluten free floor. I have even found one that I can sub. cup for cup called better batter flour. So far everything that I have made has tasted great and my family thought it was all made with regular flour
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/129-gluten-free You might like to join this group. They can probably answer your questions.

Thank you for posting this. For some reason I didn't see this listed as a board so even after almost a month didn't know about it.
  • FitnessPalWorks
    Options
    Silly ques and I don't have any in the house to just go read a label but are whole grains gluten free?

Whole grain rice is gluten free. Quinoa is as well. Like others says, just read the label

Gluten is NOT listed as an ingredient on anything... reading the label does no good....
    If it says "GLUTEN FREE" then reading THAT label steers you in the right direction...
  • FitnessPalWorks
    Options
    I'm 19 and have been diagnosed with Celiac Disease for 7 months. The hardest transition you will have is reading labels and eating out. Anything that is Teriakyi contains gluten because it generally is made with a soy sauce that contains wheat. Sushi places you cannot have fake crab as it contains fillers, so make sure you ask at any place if it is real seafood or not. You must also avoid ( which you probably know) anything deep fried, as well as cooked in a communal fryer. For example, McDonalds french fries are safe as they have their own dedicated deep fryer, but Wendy's cook their fries in the same as chicken fingers, etc, therefore not safe. If you're just starting out gluten free I found eating basic foods was the easiest way to transition myself into these habits. Basically fruit, veggies and meat. The best gluten free bread that's grocery store bought is Glutino Genius, in my town it is found at a local SuperStore. Costco sells Mary's Gluten Free organic crackers that are made from seeds, and are really good. A lot of Red Mill and Glutino products you can't tell that they are gluten free and are very good, such as already made cookies and mixes. A cheaper way to making pasta is going to a bulk store and buying rice pasta, rather than boxes found in the gluten free isle. Anything like Quaker Granola Bars are NOT safe. It is easily cross contaminated. Sorry that this is a lot thrown at you but hope this helps :)

Wow... more good info... thank you. I am gluten SENSITIVE but not completely intolerant apparently. I can tolerate it in minor doses, just not all the time. It's been a journey the past month to see what my triggers are but I'm starting to narrow it down. Your post has helped. Thank you! :)
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    10 gluten-free pre-packaged foods I use:

Udi's granola, breads, pizza crusts, cookies
    Low-sodium V8 juice
    Tinkyada brown rice pasta
    Van's gluten-free waffles
    Annie's gluten-free macaroni and cheese (they make both types, so make sure it says "gluten free" on it)
    Against the Grain frozen pizzas
    Fresh produce/salad mixes
    Eggs (I buy raw and sometimes the ones that are already hard-cooked)
    Greek yogurt
    Bob's Red Mill gluten-free oatmeal
  • thr33martins
    thr33martins Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Trader Joe's where you live? They have an immense selection of GF products at great prices, and the staff will walk you through it. Best grocery chain there is...
  • thr33martins
    thr33martins Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    And regarding soy sauce (which I use a ton of) there are many GF brands, but they are more expensive, so hard to come by in restaurants. But most major grocery stores carry Tamari, which is GF.
  • littlemoon1989
    littlemoon1989 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I found out I have Celiac disease in November of last year, and I can relate to the feeling of not being able to eat anything. It has taken me a long time to figure out all of the hidden sources of gluten, with a lot of getting sick along the way. Knowing/learning how to cook has been my biggest advantage. Most raw ingredients (aside from the obvious - wheat flour, barley, rye, and in my case also oats) are naturally gluten free. As far as packaged foods go, I don't take a lot of chances. I try not to eat anything that doesn't expressly say "gluten free" right on the package - there are just too many hidden sources of gluten and cross contamination issues. GF products are hit or miss, and I'm sure everyone has their favorites. I like the Udi's brand GF multigrain bread (their bagels and desserts are also amazing) and I like the Glutino brand for crackers. Quinoa pasta is the best texture wise that I have found and there is also a brand sold at Walmart (called Heartland I think?) that is a close second.

Going out to eat is a whole 'nother animal. Chipotle is my ultimate go-to. Everything except the flour tortillas is GF. And they make it right in front of you, all you have to do is ask them to change their gloves to prevent cross contamination. A lot of places have GF options or GF menus. There is a really cool app if you have a smartphone called 'Find Me Gluten Free' that will search for GF restaurants near you.
  • marinegirl92
    marinegirl92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    HI there Jodie et al. I totally know where you are coming from! I'm a foodie and had to mourn "real food" for the last 9 mos. It's hard no question. I am finally over it and moving on. I am trying so many new foods as an explorer and this has helped tremendously. After watching what I eat for allergies I and my body feel so much better :) Good luck and let's stay in touch.

Have you been allergy tested?

The only reason I ask is for the last 15 years or so I have had a increasing allergic reaction to you name it (peanuts, wheat, soy, shrimp, milk and egg whites).... it was so slight at first that I didn't notice it at all but it became annoying... I thought it was the spice msg and after eliminating it .. it didn't go away. I always thought it was environmental but it was FOOD all along! Doh! It was only after I had a severe allergic reaction and saw my doctor and told him how frustrated I was. He then did a scratch test for 8 of the most common food allergies. Voila - allergic to 7 of the 8. Over the past 6 mos I have eliminated dairy/eggs/soy & wheat from my diet and feel SOOO much better!

Hope this helps!
  • jodigirl03
    Options
    Thank you,
    I DO need to have my allergies tested.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Thank you,
    I DO need to have my allergies tested.

If you are going to have testing done, besides the scratch tests which will show immediate histamine type reactions, I'd also suggest the IGG/IGE antibody blood tests. These show the more intollerant type reactions.

Also, you need to have them done before eliminating the foods.