frustration - help!

Options
I have been working out with Body Combat - a mix of kick boxing and high impact exercise(60 min / 4 times a week ). I recently started lifting weights again (two times a week for 60 min.). I work out 6 days a week and also do Yoga twice a week. I have cut out diet soda almost completely and am drinking only water. I have drastically increased lean protein in the form of whey powder. I am eating between 1000 - 1300 calories without subtracting the calories I burn from exercise. I am eating lots of fruits and veggies. It has been two weeks and I have seen no results. I recently went on the pill and experienced weight gain with that. I am bound and determined to lose that weight. Any ideas?

Replies

• samseed101
    samseed101 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I recently started lifting weights again (two times a week for 60 min.). I work out 6 days a week and also do Yoga twice a week.
    Problem number 1. You can't workout that aggressively without giving yourself enough rest.
    I am eating between 1000 - 1300 calories without subtracting the calories I burn from exercise.

Problem number 2. You're only eating 1,300 calories and you're not replacing the ones you burn off through all of your exercise? Not a good idea.
  • gennyvieve
    Options
    you aren't eating enough---your body is going into starvation mode.....you need to start eating more to accomodate for what you are burning....and maybe take a day off from working out---sounds like you may be overdoing it. remember, you didn't put the weight on overnight---so it will take a little time to lose it!
    :)
  • gotwater
    Options
    I agree with samseed. There is a such thing as eating too little...it prohibits you from losing weight. Try adding a couple of snacks (carb and protein combination of ~100-200 kcals each) and reducing your strength training to 2-3 days/week. Good luck!
  • Garrettsmom
    Garrettsmom Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    or, you are gaining muscle which is a good thing,
  • tnola090
    Options
    I was having the same problem until I upped my caloric intake. Now that I have begun eating some of the calories that I have been burning up during exercise, I have already noticed a change and it's only been a week!
  • samseed101
    samseed101 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    or, you are gaining muscle which is a good thing,

It's unlikely that that's the case. Especially since they are only eating 1,300 or so calories a day. Basically, you need to eat to build muscle. Even under ideal conditions with an ideal workout routine and an ideal caloric intake, the average person can only naturally gain about 2lbs of lean muscle mass per month. It may not seem like much but that can add up fast (24lbs of muscle in a year.)

But that's not going to happen when they are barely eating and giving their body no time to recover. Remember, you grow muscle while you rest. You break down muscle in the gym.
  • caristear
    Options
    I agree with the not eating enough! Also have you changed up your exercise routine? Vary it week to week.
  • jflannery
    Options
    I will up the caloric intake THANKS! Suggestions on what I should add? fruit, veggies, protein?
  • gotwater
    Options
    you should have a small snack cosisting of a carb and a protein. some examples would be an apple and a string cheese, cottage cheese and berries, or some almonds with a yogurt. good luck!