Too Skinny!

Options

Replies

• UpsideMeagan
    UpsideMeagan Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hmm..I dunno man. 5'10, 150 is rather skinny. I think what whoever meant was..You simply don't have the 'real estate' to continue cutting. You should focus predominantly on gaining lean mass.

Agreed 100%
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    While in school years ago I 'got up to' 180, when I left I started dropping wt like mad...the only comment I ever got was "are you eating?" The only person to ever tell me I was "too skinny" was my step-dad seeing me in a bikini at 110#'s...I was 18 at the time. (this was after spending years of my childhood telling me how fat and ugly I was...and I wasn't fat at all)

From my own experience, I know just looking at someone can be deceiving, my last LTR was ~6' weighed ~170ish and I thought he was 'skinny' until thru circumstances too long to get into here, he was forced to wear one of my sweat shirts...which I wore extremely baggy...they were very snug across his chest and 2 inches too short on his arms...I stopped seeing him as "skinny" after that. He was a runner and a mild (if there is such a thing) weight lifter.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I feel really bad for you...ok, not really.

I agree with someone earlier. They're just trying to re-assure you that you are in a good place.
  • justmyalias
    justmyalias Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    5'10" and 150 lbs just sounds thin.

I have a friend that has been REALLY into P90X - and he is ripped and very lean (in posed shirtless pics) but assuming very healthy.
    But in regular (clothes) pics, he looks so very gaunt and tired - and I would say my first impression would be that he looks unhealthy and sick... : /
  • princessquitealot
    princessquitealot Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I recently visited a girlfriend who spent the entire week trying to make me eat more. She had me try on her string bean 10 year olds next size up school jeans and I felt so ashamed and confused and terrified that I had crossed over into chasing non existant pounds that I had a mini meltdown. I am on the lean side and not finished yet but I am NOT too skinny as my compadres here and my family have informed me. All the comments I have received have been unsolicited. One friend went so far as to suggest that I have worms. Again I turned to mfp for confirmation that I wasn't out of control. I wouldn't dream of telling anyone (true or not) that they're too fat so why do others feel the need to comment other than 'you look healthy'? I don't get it either. What I get is that with patience I will reach my goal, and NEVER go back.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Yeah people tell me I'm slim/skinny but I just think that the world is so fat, everyone's views are skewed.
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Hmm..I dunno man. 5'10, 150 is rather skinny. I think what whoever meant was..You simply don't have the 'real estate' to continue cutting. You should focus predominantly on gaining lean mass.

My hubby is 6' 7" and 185 - he look great slim hipped (32') wide shoulders but he is slim for his height.

People come in different 'types' so it may be OK
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i know where you are coming from. people will tell me "you are so small." no, you are just fat. (sorry if that is harsh or mean, just had to get that out there). but i think being overweight has become more of the norm these days, it's sad
  • shmoony
    shmoony Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is a very low LBM for that height. I am 5'6" with LBM of about 130lbs (and I'm not jacked). You would be classes as underweight at that height and weight (with a relatively high BF% would classify you "skinny fat"). I suggest eating slightly above maintenance and lift heavy to add some LBM, then cut the fat once you increase your LBM to a point that you are happy with.

I'm just going by what my digital scale tells me. I'm not sure how accurate the BF% and LBM is on it, but I bought a set of calipers, and I'm trying to figure out how to use them accurately. I have a six pack (ok maybe a 4 pack). I am not jacked, but I do have relatively big muscles compared to someone who doesn't lift weights. I think I just have a small frame. Either way, I am working on gaining lean muscle mass, but losing fat is a lot easier than gaining muscle. Losing fat is just a numbers game, eat less than you burn. Gaining lean mass requires more trial and error, more research, and more guess work as to how much to eat in order to gain muscle instead of fat based on how much you lift. Any suggestions would be great.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I totally agree: moderate obesity is the norm, and a healthy weight looks "too thin" in our backward society. It's sad... and, as a woman, inconvenient! I'm average/thin and have to shop in the children's or junior's section, depending on the store. The expensive stores (with 00's) have a plethora of big sizes (like 6-12), but finding a 0 that fits is hard, and 00 are very limited. If I'm a 00, what would a very thin person wear?!? It's very hard to buy work clothes that fit ! That's my #1 complaint of being at a healthy weight in America. But it was worse in Europe because everyone was just.. big! Not fat- but big. The women towered over me! children's section to the rescue!
    We're a dying breed, my friend! :yawn:

I soooo can relate to this post. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'm 5'9" and a size 2 in woman's dress sizes, and wear a small or xsmall in sweaters and shirts. I love shopping for clothes - however when I walk into the department store, the "small" section is stuck in this tiny little part of the store and has very little to choose from.

BTW, don't let anybody cut on you regarding your goal weight. I too am on the low end of the BMI scale, and anybody who questions my health other than myself can stick it where the sun don't shine.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    i know where you are coming from. people will tell me "you are so small." no, you are just fat. (sorry if that is harsh or mean, just had to get that out there). but i think being overweight has become more of the norm these days, it's sad

^ This is true. I have to bite my tongue so many times to stop myself from saying "You're so fat" when people won't stop telling me "You're so skinny!" I want to do it, just once, to see the look on someone's face. :bigsmile:
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I have had the exact thing happen to me. I was 130 LBS back in 97 I heard this more then once. I think because it mostly done by over weight people it makes them feel better if you stay over weight makes them feel more accepted. I'm 5'1".
  • jeffreyjording
    jeffreyjording Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am in the best shape of my life. Bmi of 22. Blood pressure 110/60. Cycled 2600miles so far this year. All friends and family seem to focus on is that I am too thin. Nobody said much of anything when I weighed 305lbs. I have totally changed my health for the better, but you would never know it from all the negative comments
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I get it all the time from some people, others say I'm fine. As a girl I'd say I'd have to lose another 15 pounds to be "too skinny"

But I will say there is a double standard and I'd say you're teetering on the edge of what society think of as too skinny for a guy. Generally guys are on the bigger side, muscular, etc

If you like the way you look and are healthy that's what matters.
  • LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    too skinny = damn you look hot and im jealous as hell please eat something LOL
  • offthedeependay
    offthedeependay Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I get this all the time,I was 240 ,now 155-160...my coment back to them is usually ,I'm not to skinny,,I am healthy
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Sorry--I'd agree with those people saying you are too skinny--and I (a 4'11 female) happen to find 2000 calories quite unsatisfying. I don't think they're labeling you as obsessive because they're jealous or unhealthy themselves. I think you are truly TOO THIN. That's just my opinion.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    too skinny = damn you look hot and im jealous as hell please eat something LOL

:heart:
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    You probably get the comments because of your very low lean body mass, mate - 5'10" and 125 LBM is not much to be honest. I hate to say it, and I don't mean to sound mean, but many women have that same LBM at that height. If you added about 10 to 20 lbs of muscle mass, they would likely think very different.
  • QueenofComeBacks
    QueenofComeBacks Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    if your happy with your self don't worry what others say. my hubby is 5'10" and weight 150 too. i dont think he look thin or unhealthy. everyone comes in different shapes and sizes.