Anyone from Wa or Or?

Options
Just looking to see how people around me do with their goals.

As most of you know, the Northwest is rainy and cold in the fall, winter, and some spring.

Just wanting to see how others accomplish their goals and success on their journey!

I tend to have a hard time working out in these times of the year. But love to be outdoors in the summer.

Any ideas?

Replies

• BelenA
    BelenA Posts: 1
    Options
    I got a nintendo Wii with the balance board. Lots of good exercise games available, in addition to the sports ones. I highly recommend it, though it's a little pricey to start with.
  • msaracione
    Options
    When it's too cold and rainy I plan out my week of workouts before hand - Mon, Wed, Fri on the treadmill at the gym. Thurs and/or Sat a PowerFlex circuit training class at the gym. Sometimes I do the OnDemand workouts from Comcast: Jillians Michaels' workouts are calorie-killers! Whenever we get a day of any sun (like today) I bundle up and head outside to run around my neighborhood. And I also have a Wii, but nothing really breaks a sweat for me like Jillian's Fitness Ultimatum 2010 game.
    Hope this helps!
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I run indoors on my treadmill, but go for walks on nice sunny days. I also like to swim when its rainy. Indoor pools are a great way to stay focused with the workouts.
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I suck it up and run in the rain. I figured, since Ilive in a wet area, I migh as well get used to it!
  • minnesota
    minnesota Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Well I am from Minnesota, but been living out here in Oregon for 8 months and since I come from the cold I enjoy the WARM weather. I workout at the gym six days a week. I get up at 4:30 am to get to the gym by 5am for cycle class on Tues, Thurs and Fri and run on Mon and Wed. I have notice about being in Oregon that there are also running races on the every single weekend so I join those every Saturday rain or shine. I find motivation in signing up for races and running for a cause. Motivatoin is within oneself. I don't count on beautfiul sunny days to workout. I get early so it's dark out and I work till 6ish so it's dark when I get off work so any way i look at it it's going to be dark out. Try some races even if you don't run you will get a natural high just with all the people you are with and donating to a good cause. Plus there is usually a good t-shirt involved that work great for gym t-shirts :)

Good luck!
  • bunny_98
    bunny_98 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm in North Idaho, so kinda in the same boat. I have some videos during these months and for Christmas the kids and I got dance dance revolution for the wii. I can set it for 30 minutes and it usually takes me 40 to complete the 30 minutes of dance time and usually burn between 400-500 calories per session. When it's not too cold or raining (cause I am a wuss) I also like to get out and jog, hike or bike. Good luck to you! Hopefully you will find something that you enjoy doing!
  • lemonllama
    lemonllama Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Im in Wa/Or and usually stuck inside, do the ellip or videos or wii or something. Then on the rare chance its a rainy day maybe go for a walk with the little monster!! Today would of been a greatttt day to go outside!
  • kcatt
    kcatt Posts: 6
    Options
    I live in Oregon and am really glad you asked this question...I'm always looking for bad weather workout ideas. Thanks everyone :)
  • astrosnider
    astrosnider Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Yes, I live here in Washington and have found ways to exercise despite the unpleasant winters. Mainly I go to the gym where I take a spinning class twice a week and work out in the weight room on my own. Many days I walk on the treadmill for a half-hour and go on the elliptical machine for a half-hour (it burns calories much faster than the treadmill). To make it less boring, I download podcasts of Rick Steves' radio travel show on my iPod and listen to it while on the machines.

I also joined a community swimming pool in Port Orchard for just $15 a month and try to swim for an hour or more once or twice a week. I like it because the temperature is quite warm (87 degrees) so I can stay in for a long time without feeling cold. It's also good because members get a key card so I can go at just about any time, including weekends and holidays if I'm in the mood.

When the weather does cooperate, as it did today, sort of, I try to get out for an hour's walk with my husband, usually around our neighborhood but sometimes farther afield.

My goal is to exercise for two hours a day. I don't always make it, but I believe I have managed at least one hour a day since Jan. 1.