were you addicted to junk food? help

Options
13»

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Since when was Chinese food considered junk food? That's a new one.

The only thing I have ever been addicted to was nicotine. I gained weight simply from not paying attention or caring about what I ate. Now I still eat things that I like, I am just more aware of nutrients (of which Chinese food has plenty) and keeping to my target calories.

There is no food that has a withdrawal syndrome. So it basically comes down to what you *choose* to eat. It's your body, your goals. If you want Chinese food, then eat it, or don't. It's your decision to make.

you could have a psychological addiction to anything..

chinese food isn't junk food, but a lot of it is oil laden and unhealthy in western countries because thats the way people like it.

chinese people in general don't eat like that. its fake chinese food.

but yah, its not actually "junk".

Yes, anyone can "believe" that they "need" to perform a specific activity. That's a psychological problem, not a physical one. i just get annoyed when people claim to have addiction to certain foods. For folks that have suffered with real addiction, it can even be considered offensive. There is a HUGE difference between not *wanting* to put down the Twinkie and having actual physical symptoms of the body withdrawing from a substance. I just like to point that out. I have a brother-in-law who is a crack addict, so it is UBER annoying to me when people equate sugar (and other things) with crack. I have also dealt with addicts in various aspects. Someone who can't bring themselves to moderate their eating/video-game-playing/sex/(insert vice here) has issues to be sure. But there is a huge difference between making a decision to change your life and going through a physical withdrawal. A true addict has real physical symptoms on TOP of going through the mental/emotional aspects.

But yeah, even "Americanized" Chinese food has some excellent options that are nutrient dense. Some options (crab rangoon comes to mind) have fewer nutrients for its caloric value, but people shouldn't make claims that simply aren't true. Any food can be part of an overall healthy diet, just as any food can potentially cause health problems when eaten in excess.
    I believe the type of chinese food that I get is JUNK food because I am eating greasy high calorie foods.. as I think pizza is also junk food because the type I like to eat.... everyone has there own opinions on junk food and i believe that junk food is anything I crave that is greasy and flavorful with high calories and that COSTS money..... so i believe it is junk food... yes there are healthy choices in chinese dishes but none that turn me on or nothing I crave .. haha... anyways... thank u all 4 ur feedback....

My suggestion is to make your own Chinese food. Then you get your fix, and you are in control of the ingredients. Depriving yourself will set you up for a long fall from the tall wagon.
  • JellyButter
    JellyButter Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    You have to start slow. You can't just cut it off cold turkey. Eat it still, but less and less everyday. Junkfood is all I used to eat. But its been so long that I don't even like it as much as I used to.
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    AM I addicted to junk food? Yes. How to cure this addiction? In all seriousness, stop buying it. If it isnt in your house or around you, you wont crave it. Out of sight, out of mind. And when you do randomly get a craving, and cant curb it, indulge in a small amount, and toss the rest to the hungry.
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options
    I have a little trick that keeps me from eating junk.... I just imagine someone licked the food and BOOYAH sudddenly I have no appetite. LOL
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    There are many ways to approach this, and you know yourself best, so go with what seems like it will work for you. If it doesn't, just try another way. :flowerforyou:

You could start by adding a serving of fruits or vegetables to every single meal. Make no other changes intentionally at first, just try that. See if you can start training your taste buds to enjoy more whole foods.

Or, you could try going cold turkey. Some people do not do well with "in moderation" while others can only do "in moderation." Both approaches are valid, depending on the person. While I do include grains in my diet, it's much harder for me to eat the way that makes me feel best when I include them. I have increased sugar and carb cravings when I eat them. It's not because I have "deprived" myself of them. It was like this for me when they were included daily for me too. Something about me just craves them excessively no matter how much of them I eat. So for me, I tend to avoid most grains (I'm fine with oatmeal) and foods with lots of added sugar (in any form). If I really want them, I'll have them, but I also know that I will feel a little off kilter while I do.

You could try the "If it fits your macros" approach. It's a good "in moderation" way of eating. You have to attend to your nutritional needs, but you can do that however you can make it work. If a piece of pizza will fit into your day (calories, carbs, protein, fat), go for it!

Good luck!
  • know_your_worth
    know_your_worth Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I was a junk food junkie. I still eat it every now and then, but not nearly as often as I would.

As far as fast food goes, I noticed once I stopped eating it, I stopped craving it. It's been a few months since I've had any kind of fast food and honestly I don't really miss it. I think once you get used to your new way of thinking and have that healthy food right there at home, you'll be more likely to reach for that verses ordering out or going to a drive thru.
  • fun_b
    fun_b Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have a few friends who do the whole pig out friday lunches or weekend junk days. I used to go all the time but now I say no most of the time as its too tempting to eat the wrong food. These friends are thin or only a few pounds overweight so I know they would order steak and fries with a large cheesecake without a care in the world. Not suggesting you avoid all your friends invites but I find I eat less junk as I only go with this group occasionally.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    Since when was Chinese food considered junk food? That's a new one.

The only thing I have ever been addicted to was nicotine. I gained weight simply from not paying attention or caring about what I ate. Now I still eat things that I like, I am just more aware of nutrients (of which Chinese food has plenty) and keeping to my target calories.

There is no food that has a withdrawal syndrome. So it basically comes down to what you *choose* to eat. It's your body, your goals. If you want Chinese food, then eat it, or don't. It's your decision to make.

you could have a psychological addiction to anything..

chinese food isn't junk food, but a lot of it is oil laden and unhealthy in western countries because thats the way people like it.

chinese people in general don't eat like that. its fake chinese food.

but yah, its not actually "junk".

Yes, anyone can "believe" that they "need" to perform a specific activity. That's a psychological problem, not a physical one. i just get annoyed when people claim to have addiction to certain foods. For folks that have suffered with real addiction, it can even be considered offensive. There is a HUGE difference between not *wanting* to put down the Twinkie and having actual physical symptoms of the body withdrawing from a substance. I just like to point that out. I have a brother-in-law who is a crack addict, so it is UBER annoying to me when people equate sugar (and other things) with crack. I have also dealt with addicts in various aspects. Someone who can't bring themselves to moderate their eating/video-game-playing/sex/(insert vice here) has issues to be sure. But there is a huge difference between making a decision to change your life and going through a physical withdrawal. A true addict has real physical symptoms on TOP of going through the mental/emotional aspects.

actually the consensus now is to call serious drug problems as drug and or alcohol dependency, substance abuse and moving away from the term addiction as the medical community is trying to make a separation between drug dependency and wider addiction see below:

Addiction is a persistent, compulsive dependence on a behavior or substance. The term has been partially replaced by the word dependence for substance abuse. Addiction has been extended, however, to include mood-altering behaviors or activities. Some researchers speak of two types of addictions: substance addictions (for example, alcoholism, drug abuse, and smoking); and process addictions (for example, gambling, spending, shopping, eating, and sexual activity). There is a growing recognition that many addicts, such as polydrug abusers, are addicted to more than one substance or process.

so, addiction to gambling, spending, shopping, eating, and sexual activity is a process addictions and:

substance addictions refer to alcoholism, drug abuse, and smoking and are increasingly termed "dependency" because they are far more serious and needed a reclassification.

so, can you be addicted to food, the consensus is yes, is it the in the same category as drug dependency no, definitely not.

if anyone feels like answering, please do a little research first.

bottom line, there are compulsions that can make you want to eat or bang your neighbour, gamble away your life savings or wear leather and get whipped by a transvestite. they are classed under addiction.

ps. the op is just talking about craving food and and struggling not to eat it.

its not really like this:

35qnbm.jpg

cookie-monster.jpg
  • Elphaba91
    Elphaba91 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've also had a problem with binge eating that I've just started tackling (and pretty successfully!) As others have suggested, try finding healthier alternatives to your junk food cravings - like making your own burgers. It does take awhile for your tastebuds to adapt so just give it a bit of time.

At the same time, though, I think you should still indulge just OCCASIONALLY and IN MODERATION. For instance, I have 1 scoop of homemade ice-cream a couple of days a week when I've been good (so I still come under my calorie goal). While it's a bit naughty, it's a vast improvement on the 2 scoops each night I was eating and it stops me from just pulling out the entire tub and a spoon and eating it all in one go!

I think the other problem you seem to have is that you're either ordering too much food or eating it where more is available. So if you want those fries, fine, order a small size and walk away and eat them elsewhere - not in the restaurant or food court. That might help you with eating in moderation.