can't drink milk

Options
OMGosh, rice milk tastes nasty!!!!!

I can't drink milk, I just tried the rice milk and it was bad, it was vanilla flavored. I have tried the soy milk in the past have havn't liked it either. Is there any other alternatives that I can drink or should I just continue like I have for years and just not have any milk

I can cook with the milk, I just can't drink it straight.

Replies

• angela75022
    angela75022 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with milk too... I have to drink it ice cold, I have to put it in the freezer 30 min beore I can drink it. Have you tried chocolate milk, adding a lil choclate to take the edge off the flavor may help, just count in the calories. Milk and OJ, kill my stomach and make me sooo sick, but I crave them all the time. You may have to keep trying, if its for the nutritional value... take supplements. Hope this helped... Good luck. ~Angi:flowerforyou:
  • samseed101
    samseed101 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I hate soy milk and rice milk as well. However, I found myself LOVING almond milk. Have you tried that yet?
  • Wendibee
    Options
    Try the chocolate soy milk. My daughter is lactose intolerant and can't really have milk in any way. Try a different brand as well. They do vary. As far as just drinking milk, if you don't like the taste of the replacements, then don't bother. But if it is for replacing all milk things... there are tons of great alternatives. Try your local Earth Fare (or comparable). They have lots more selections than the regular grocery stores. Good luck.
  • annastasia76
    annastasia76 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of almond milk, I will have to find that
  • chloenalexsmommy
    Options
    Almond milk is yummy!
  • deedeehawaii
    deedeehawaii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I get an organic vanilla flavored soy milk from Costco (their brand). It is actually tasty. And, it does not need to be refridgerated until it is opened. And, because it is storable, it is part of my hurricane and earthquake supplies (better prepared than left without food during an emergency!).
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I cannot and will not drink milk alone. Only time I need milk is with my cereal. A few weeks ago I was looking for a lower calorie alternative to 2% milk and some people suggested almond milk.

I just picked it up this week (Almond Breeze, Original almond milk) and I LOVE IT!!!! One cup is only 60 calories and I think the taste is masked by the raisins in my cereal and I have not tried it alone without cereal but with my cereal, it is pretty yummy!
  • seelizrun
    seelizrun Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    another vote for Almond Milk!
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    OMGosh, rice milk tastes nasty!!!!!

I can't drink milk, I just tried the rice milk and it was bad, it was vanilla flavored. I have tried the soy milk in the past have havn't liked it either. Is there any other alternatives that I can drink or should I just continue like I have for years and just not have any milk

I can cook with the milk, I just can't drink it straight.

My stomach doesnt tolerate milk well but I found that I can drink Lactaid 2% milk and I am fine. Maybe you could try that.
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    can someone tell us where to buy almond milk. Is it sweet? is it thick or watery?
  • LisaCookies
    Options
    Do you like other dairy products like yogurt or cottage cheese? If you get enough calcium and nutrients from other foods I would think you'd be OK. I've heard the opinion from some that people shouln't drink cows milk anyhow because our body's were not made to digest it. My son is lactose intolerant, he can't have liquid milk but he can have yogurt, cottage cheese etc in moderation. He also drinks soy. The flavoured stuff is yummy but really high in sugar though. I'd watch the sugar with the Almond milk too. It's yummy but super sweet. Only 90 cals a glass though if I remember correctly. (I'd buy it occasionally as a treat).

Anyhow, good luck!
  • Nmama
    Nmama Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    chocolate soy milk is VERY chocolatey. Lots of sugar. I buy it plain and add like a TBSP of hershey syrup. Still tastes good but less sugar
  • blessedtobefit
    blessedtobefit Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I am cheering for almond milk too! I find mine (Almond Dream, original) at Wal-Mart, Kroger & Publix. I just love the taste and for 1 cup it is 50 calories. I have it with my cereal, smoothies and I also bake with it. If my "selective" teenage boys will grab it out of the refrig. I know it is a winner!

223713.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Ugh, never get flavored anything other than milk! That just sets yourself up for instant dismissal of the product. Flavored soy milk (except chocolate) and rice milk are BLECH. Plain are okay. The best thing I've tasted, and completely converted to, is Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Unflavored Almond Milk. I find the taste very mild and the consistency is similar to 2% milk.
    I get mine in the cold dairy section with the regular milk products, soy milk, rice milk, etc. Since I primarily use it for cereal, 1 half gallon lasts me the whole month.
  • Paulala
    Paulala Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't drink milk either though I don't worry about it because I can get my calcium from other sources. After reading these posts I do think I will try the almond milk...I like to have something for my breakfast cereal.
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    can someone tell us where to buy almond milk. Is it sweet? is it thick or watery?

Not sure where you are but I bought mine at Food 4 Less grocery store and I have also seen it at Super Wal-Mart. If you have a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's type of stores near you, they may carry it I'm sure.

Again - I'm not sure about the flavor because again I never drank it plain just with my cereal so it is masked. But it is thicker than I would like it to be. I wasn't expecting it to be that thick. Not watery at all.