BodyMedia/BodyBugg users: Does it help?

Options
2»

Replies

• MinisterTom
    MinisterTom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind my TDEE is going to be pretty high. Someone who ways 100 pounds less than me may have a TDEE about 900 calories less than me, so in my case being as big as I am means I burn more calories. I don't think I could hit 4000 calories per day if I weighed 220 pounds.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    @shorty very true! I under eat protein, but I'm a vegetarian and I won't be 100% worried about protein until I hit 150 or 145 (closer to my goal)

@gks1970 Thank you! It means a lot to hear good things because I am really looking forward to this. I always am so unsure of what I burn because my metabolism seems quick, yet I am not very active really.

@Tompringle Well you really do better than I would. lol. I already eat a lot. I could easily throw back 2500 calories if I eat as much as my tummy wants. I was thinking about your TDEE, which made me sound like even more of an eater. lmso!
  • MinisterTom
    MinisterTom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing I have learned has been in food choices. I used to go to Wendy's grab a double, large fries, a ceasar wrap and a coke. 1500 calories down the drain, snack on vending machine snacks, there goes another 400 calories. Now I go for the better option. I can eat a lot of vegetables and protein for under 500 cal and get more full. I explained it like this to my wife. A king sized snickers has 440 calories. For that caloric intake I can eat 10 plums and an apple. (I don't do that, just sayin.)
  • echamin
    echamin Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    How does it know how many calories you burn since it's not a HRM?
  • VeganZombie13
    Options
    I love mine too..I don't use the food chart they give you, I follow my own plan though...
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    I gained weight with mine. I think it was over estimating my calorie burn!
  • Verity1111
    Options
    It is still charging, or was, but it just started to blink green? Is it supposed to be solid or blink it?

@ Tompringle Yum 10 plums and an apple. lol (if its green) I can make good choices and I still want food

@echamin It uses sensors to check the heat your body emits and transition the amount into an estimate of energy/kcalories burned for the day. I read that it checked thousands of times per minute.

@VeganZombie13 Thank you! Vegan?! I wish, but I love cheese. I'm a pseudo vegetarian. I don't drink milk, but I eat cheese and eggs.

@Goosiesnougs Oh dear lol That sounds not nice. I pray that doesn't happen to me and that you stay around your goal as well. Sorry to hear it didn't work for you, especially for the price! :]
  • mibrewer413
    mibrewer413 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've had my BMF core (I like that one because it's the smallest one) since around June. I try to have a 500 calorie deficit . My usual burn is anywhere from 2000-2400 calories/day and from there I know how much I can eat. I'm 5'7" and I'm about 10 lbs away from my goal of 140 lbs. I'm losing slow now but that's ok. I have the display and I love it because it beeps at me when I meet my goals for the day. Now it's even better being linked with MFP. One of my biggest problems is sleep which still amazes me that it can monitor that. I'm working on the sleep thing, trying to go to bed earlier and practicing relaxation techniques.
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    BM core...Love it! Have had weeks where I stuck to my eating plan and lost exactly what I should have according to the BM numbers.
  • echamin
    echamin Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It's interesting how most everyone on MFP love it but when you go to Amazon reviews, it's very mixed.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    @mibrewer413 Well thank you. Im a little irritated at the moment as I went to pee and it said I took 23 steps -_- lol

@bikinibelieve Well works for me! I pray it is working aas well for me soon. It is saying I take steps while Im still :/
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    *gained* 5 lbs using a BMF. sold it on Ebay....
    i was burning (according to device) 2700-3000 a day, yet eating at around 1500-1700...and GAINING.

good luck if you keep it!
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I dont know what model i have but i have had mine a few years so maybe the original? Lol anyway, i love mine and think it was a great investment. I have my cals set from my bmr and tdee so my exercise cals are already included, so i mostly use it to see how much i burn in a workout, my steps and some of the other features. I like it for the fact that if i see my cals are low, it will encourage me to get up and get moving to burn more calories. On my workout days my burns around 2700 give or take for the whole day, strength days dont show burns the same as cardio ones so those days the cals burned is a bit lower, and on rest days im usually between 2300 to 2400.

I hope you like it, i know a few people w them and havent heard anything negative, maybe some people just a few bad ones in the bunch!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    It is really just an expensive tool to figure your TDEE; in fact, I suspect they just calculate your TDEE in the beginning when you register and fake everything else. You could just use a formula and get the same number. It counts FORWARD MOVING steps, so it's fine for walking, I guess. HOWEVER, it does not work for "non-standard" activities (and there is no list, anywhere, of non-standard activities that you will be able to find, however if you call customer service they will tell you that everything except walking is non-standard).

Here are examples of my activities that registered pretty much nada on the BB (all non-standard, of course): dancing, spinning, cycling, paddleboarding, power lifting. You might think that since it counts steps that it would work for dancing. Nope. Only forward-moving steps. Not sideways or backwards.

Do not recommend.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    It is really just an expensive tool to figure your TDEE; in fact, I suspect they just calculate your TDEE in the beginning when you register and fake everything else. You could just use a formula and get the same number. It counts FORWARD MOVING steps, so it's fine for walking, I guess. HOWEVER, it does not work for "non-standard" activities (and there is no list, anywhere, of non-standard activities that you will be able to find, however if you call customer service they will tell you that everything except walking is non-standard).

Here are examples of my activities that registered pretty much nada on the BB (all non-standard, of course): dancing, spinning, cycling, paddleboarding, power lifting. You might think that since it counts steps that it would work for dancing. Nope. Only forward-moving steps. Not sideways or backwards.

Do not recommend.
    It seems to know about my moderate/vigorous activity. Does yours not work for that? I just tested it. I danced moderately for a few minutes and it counted, then I danced "vigorously" and it counted some more. It also seems to have the correct time on it (except a minute or two after where I was burning up it counted maybe one extra minute lol Im sweating/warm/heart going quic so maybe thats why)