Artificial Sugars...Yay or Nay

Options
Just looking for opinions on "fake" sugars. I drink a lot of coffee (mainly where I use sugar) and I have been using Splenda. Personally I love it and love not using all that "real" sugar and calories. But I have been reading a lot on how they are bad for you. Should I stick with Splenda or just go for the real stuff?

Replies

• tschaff04
    tschaff04 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    You will probably get a lot of mixed answers but from my own research I would say nay. Splenda has some baaad stuff in it. Try stevia.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I used to put splenda in my coffee, then one day I stopped and now I honestly don't miss it at all. Once you get used to not eating and drinking sweet stuff all the time, your taste buds adjust and you appreciate other flavors.

EDIT: either way, you're looking at the lesser of two evils deciding b/w artificial sweetener and real sugar. Just avoid them both! Of course either is fine in moderation, but if you have 3 cups of coffee per day then the additives add up.
  • prairiedawg2014
    Options
    lets face it....everything we eat these days has something in it or on it thats not healthy....right down to our fresh veggies that have been sprayed with insecticides etc. i always use splenda in my coffee and in all my baking. i have been using it for years. last week on the news they were saying that all the hype about artificial sweetners being bad for you....well they said the studies done on them were not properly done and showed no conclusive basis for their findings.
  • Lisa760
    Lisa760 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I use Truvia instead.
  • bilberryjam
    bilberryjam Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I used to put splenda in my coffee, then one day I stopped and now I honestly don't miss it at all. Once you get used to not eating and drinking sweet stuff all the time, your taste buds adjust and you appreciate other flavors.

This is true.

I used to drink my coffee with a shot of syrup and a sachet of sugar and now just drink it with milk and the sweetness in the milk comes through.

But if you can't give up, stevia.
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    If you must have sweet with no calories...try Stevia...(its also natural).
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I have the liquid Stevia, it's ok but I am not thrilled about it. Price wise, is Stevia about the same as Splenda?
  • sarah3333
    sarah3333 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    My advice is don't over due it. You know dieting is hard enough without thinking I can't have sugar free anything because it has aspartame or whatever. I feel better the less I have, but I don't cut it out entirely. If I add it to anything I use stevia, but I still buy low sugar products some times.
  • MrDelts
    MrDelts Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    If you're concerned with your health then everything "artificial" should be avoided if it is possible. Unless you have diabetes, you do not have to be overly concerned with moderate sugar consumption. Our bodies were made to process and use sugar rather efficiently. Our bodies were not made to process anything artificial. Natural cane sugar tastes better, is natural and really won't impact you negativy if all you're doing is using some for your coffee.. And if sugar is an issue, then pure Stevia is a good option.
  • snowfox1
    snowfox1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    after reading 'master your metabolism' i have decided to give up the artificial sweeteners ( i was using alot!), aside from the very odd diet soda maybe once a week. I now use stevia in my coffee, its not as sweet but will get used it. :)
  • beansprouts
    Options
    I have the liquid Stevia, it's ok but I am not thrilled about it. Price wise, is Stevia about the same as Splenda?

I was the same way until I tried truvia (brand name for stevia).
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    people like to believe that Splenda is bad for you. However, as of yet there are no studies indicating such.

IMO everything in life is about moderation: sweeteners included :)
  • dawndw
    dawndw Posts: 203
    Options
    Stevia in the raw only for me
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    You will probably get a lot of mixed answers but from my own research I would say nay. Splenda has some baaad stuff in it. Try stevia.

I use Stevia too. I love the vanilla and english toffee flavored for my coffee. I use some of the "chemical" stuff only on occasion and try to stick with stevia.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    NAYYYYYYY. I use only agaver nectar or pure sugar. RARELY pure sugar too!
  • xoMeaghan
    Options
    In my opinion: Nay.

Research has shown that you can actually gain wait from artificial sweeteners because you try to 'trick' your body into thinking it's getting something sweet but it knows you're not, so you crave MORE sweet things to satisfy the craving.
    Plus, some of the things contain aspartame which leads to Alzheimer.
  • risenonlytofall
    Options
    Nay. I think all of them taste pretty gross. I'd rather just go without.
  • MrDelts
    MrDelts Posts: 209 Member
    Options

Many people don't realize this but Truvia is not pure Stevia. It also contains Erythritol which is a sugar alcohol. Sugar alcohols also are not the greatest thing for you. The body cannot digest them and they can cause a lot of intestinal discomfort.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    If you're concerned, try weaning yourself off sweeteners altogether ......

I used to add real sugar to my coffee & tea ....... began using less & less until now there's no sweetener at all ...... some of my food items contain Splenda, but may gradually stop using those as well :drinker:

Best of luck to you !
  • beansprouts
    Options

Many people don't realize this but Truvia is not pure Stevia. It also contains Erythritol which is a sugar alcohol. Sugar alcohols also are not the greatest thing for you. The body cannot digest them and they can cause a lot of intestinal discomfort.

WHAT!!!:sad: