I like to Bake

Options
ZeeShay
ZeeShay Posts: 1,132 Member
So during the holidays I love to bake. And I make tons of stuff... Cookies, Cakes, Pies and anything else I find yummy. Any other fellow bakers out there??? any healthy alternatives or recipes???

Replies

• fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    So during the holidays I love to bake. And I make tons of stuff... Cookies, Cakes, Pies and anything else I find yummy. Any other fellow bakers out there??? any healthy alternatives or recipes???

I wish I'd be good at baking cakes, pies and cookies. I can cook some but am still a bit domestically impaired when it comes to baking :ohwell: You should be able to find some good recipes though in the 'recipe section', folks seem to come up with all kinds of good ideas here
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I love making pie during the holidays, apple and pumpkin for sure. I don't have any healthy alternatives though, I go all out for decadent dessert with full fat ice cream or whipped cream.
  • ZeeShay
    Options
    Thanks! I bake well but i cant really cook much... just basic things like eggs spagetti and pancakes haha
  • ZeeShay
    Options
    I love making pie during the holidays, apple and pumpkin for sure. I don't have any healthy alternatives though, I go all out for decadent dessert with full fat ice cream or whipped cream.

Yeah my stuff is definitely high cal hahah but its soo good, but im trying not to sabotage myself or my family. hahaha
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I love to bake!!

You can healthify just about any recipe by replacing the white flour with wheat, sugar for stevia, oil and/or butter for applesauce/smashed banana/pumpkin puree, milk chocolate for dark chocolate... Makes a big difference!
  • jmariscal3
    jmariscal3 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    The way that I found new recipes is going to google and typing in my favorite foods. I put "clean eating" i front of them all and came up with great new receipes! Hope that helps.
  • katcunock
    katcunock Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    nutella banana bread! if you want the recipe PM me :)
  • ZeeShay
    Options
    I love to bake!!

You can healthify just about any recipe by replacing the white flour with wheat, sugar for stevia, oil and/or butter for applesauce/smashed banana/pumpkin puree, milk chocolate for dark chocolate... Makes a big difference!

Awesome thanks!! :]
  • caseyjade88
    caseyjade88 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Try substituting your sugar with Agave. It tastes just as amazing and you don't have that weird taste that most sugar substitutes have...plus it's natural!
  • jmariscal3
    jmariscal3 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    The Naked Kitchen web page also has great info!
  • ZeeShay
    Options
    The way that I found new recipes is going to google and typing in my favorite foods. I put "clean eating" i front of them all and came up with great new receipes! Hope that helps.

Awesome thanks for the tip!!
  • ZeeShay
    Options
    Try substituting your sugar with Agave. It tastes just as amazing and you don't have that weird taste that most sugar substitutes have...plus it's natural!

never heard of that, I will look in to it! thanks :]
  • ZeeShay
    Options
    nutella banana bread! if you want the recipe PM me :)

Thanks sounds great!!!!!
  • LeighAnna115
    Options
    This is such a hard part of the holidays. I LOVE baking, my great grandmother taught me and because of her wisdom I can actually bake well. :smile: During the holiday season people are always asking me to make their favorites for them, it's so hard not to sample! I intentionally make lots of peanut butter based cookies and desserts because its a common favorite ingredient and I despise peanut butter!! Yuck!!!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I have been making tons of yummy goodies.... I have a blog - marysforkandspoon.blogspot.com - would love for any other fellow bakers to friend me!! :)
  • ZeeShay
    Options
    This is such a hard part of the holidays. I LOVE baking, my great grandmother taught me and because of her wisdom I can actually bake well. :smile: During the holiday season people are always asking me to make their favorites for them, it's so hard not to sample! I intentionally make lots of peanut butter based cookies and desserts because its a common favorite ingredient and I despise peanut butter!! Yuck!!!

thats quite smart! lol so you wont be tempted... too bad my family and friends love chocolate almost as much as i do hahaha. Thats awesome that your great grandmother taught you!
  • ZeeShay
    Options
    I have been making tons of yummy goodies.... I have a blog - marysforkandspoon.blogspot.com - would love for any other fellow bakers to friend me!! :)

nice site, definitely saving it to my favorites!
  • hellonheels88
    hellonheels88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I bake a *kitten* ton.....and then I take it in to work and force it on my coworkers :devil: :bigsmile:
  • jgsparks89
    jgsparks89 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I also love my holiday baking, and it's just not the same if I don't use my family favorite recipes that include full-flavor EVERYTHING. But, to combat the desire to over indulge, I bake, enjoy and then give the rest to family, friends, neighbors, co-workers, the local firefighters, my son's Kindergarten class. etc. That way, I get to do my baking, have a treat, and feel good about spreading some joy around too.

Edit: I bake every Sunday fro Thanksgiving til New Years...so I plan ahead and make room for a treat each Sunday. One cookie won't kill your diet, but 20 might. So yeah, plan ahead, adjust, enjoy!
  • FrancesGallagher
    FrancesGallagher Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I do quite a bit of baking and I would miss not having something "home-baked". As already suggested there are ways to cut calories and make the baked things more healthy. The sugar in most recipes can be reduced without affecting the taste. I use 1/2 cup of sugar (or less) in nine inch Blueberry, pumpkin or apple pies. (recipes usually call for a cup of sugar). Quick breads do not need all the sugar stated in those recipes, neither do muffins. Also watch for too much shortening, most do fine with Canola oil. If you like soft cookies the canola oil works well and if the recipe has l cup of chocolate chips, 1/3 cup will still give an interesting cookie, adding oatmeal (uncooked) with the same amount of flour works, and the flour can be different blends of whole wheat and white. Mostly it is trying some different ways to get something good and not overly calorie laden so you can feel good about eating it yourself or giving it to your family. Hood lite vanilla ice cream goes well with blueberry or apple pie, 1/2 cup is about 110 calories. It isn't that you need treats everyday but if you watch the calories you can have "home cooked" good food.