Fuelband doesn't track total day's calories - does Fitbit?

So I got the Nike Fuelband, and while it is super cool looking, it doesn't track calories "all day" like it says it does. If I am not moving, ie. watching TV, sleeping, it calculates very few calories.

For example, I woke up and it said I had only burned 24 calories since midnight.

It does seem to calculate calories for activity pretty accurately, though. (compared to my Polar and my Bodybugg)

But I wanted something that gave me an all day burn. The Bodybugg did that, but I hate wearing it.

Does the Fitbit calculate calories when you're not moving? (based on body weight and height?)

Replies

• bsharrah
    bsharrah Posts: 129 Member
    Nothing out there track's your total day's calories - not accurately anyway. Technology isn't there yet.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    I don't know how accurate it is, but fitbit does track calories and steps all day. My husband loves it.
  • had my fitbit a few months and sent it back.

the thing is garbage in my opinion, who wants to know their daily calories burned by midnight? it guesses your calories and then subtracts as the hours go by if youre less active at night then during the day. wanna know the best way to do it, stick the number given to you by MFP and if you put in extra and have no way to track it, just forget about it and add it to your mental deficit.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Have a look at the new Striiv decide- The Play
  • bsharrah
    bsharrah Posts: 129 Member

Another waste of money. When are people going to realize that you will NEVER know what you are burning during your daily activity? Accept it. We laugh at people buying hyped up weight loss pills or infomercial gadgets that don't work, then come here and promote garbage like this, which is no different.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,089 Member
    yes
    fitbit gives you calories even if you don't move at all and they are = to your bmr (calculation based on your weight, age ect)
    I find it pretty accurate
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Sorry, but BodyMedia stuff is the only thing that comes close. Why didn't you like your bodybugg? I love my Fit link.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member

Another waste of money. When are people going to realize that you will NEVER know what you are burning during your daily activity? Accept it. We laugh at people buying hyped up weight loss pills or infomercial gadgets that don't work, then come here and promote garbage like this, which is no different.

Some people find these motivating to move more generally. I personally use a cheapo Tanita pedometer/ accelerometer to do the same thing. I try and do 10k steps as daily living and then do exercise on top of that. You might not like these toys but some people think they're great and they work for them.
  • Becky388
    Becky388 Posts: 157 Member
    BodyMedia is very close, less than 10% off and last time I asked they said that typically it underestimates about 3% - that's pretty dang close IMO. I'm planning to have my RMR checked to see how it compares with my BMF.