When you eat dinner do you...

Options
Have a set routine I tend to eat at 7 pm watching my fav programme with my partner I always eat my veges first cause I save the best for last my meat of course pisses my partner off big time :laugh: :bigsmile: the problem I have is that I eat too fast and don't get full so I add bread then ah oh I'm bloated :ohwell: ..so do you have any rituals when eating dinner do you watch t.v or eat with family..do you also feel the way you eat needs to change what would you do??? :drinker:

Replies

• lisamariepickering
    Options
    We try to sit down as a family Fri, Sat and Sun. The rest of the week my DH works past our normal suppertime, so my DD and I eat without him. I also eat my veggies/salad first and save the "goodies" for last lol. I thought I was the only one who did that! We do have a few routine meals, like every Friday is pizza night and every Sunday is spaghetti night. Makes meal planning for the week just a little easier.
  • mystry11
    Options
    That's great you have special meals for family time makes sense to me good luck with your journey lisamarie :: :happy:
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Don't eat in front of the TV because you watch TV and mindlessly shovel food in. One trick is to sit your fork down between bites so it slows you down and have a large glass of water before you eat to help you feel full.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I like to have a bite of this, then a bite of that, then some other thing. I really like experiencing tastes and textures one at a time.
    My husband tends to stir his entire meal all together into one big plate of ... whatever. It makes me crazy!
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Being a single gal, it's pretty routine of me to come home from work, make dinner and eat it in front of my computer.
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    My hubby, my daughter, and I eat dinner together 95% of the time at the kitchen table between 5 and 630 pm.

Usually the only time we don't eat together is during my DD sports practice days, I like her to eat before practice so she isn't eating at eight or later.

And my hubby and I usually eat dinner at the table together even when our daughter isn't home. :)
  • mystry11
    Options
    Hi guys n girls thanks for replying just wanted to know if people take their time to eat or if they made any changes to how they eat cause I done some research and its not just about what you eat but how you eat the environment you are in that helps with weight loss some say drink water before you eat but not during and eat slowly I tend to not do that my partner takes ages I prefer to get it done out of the way I need to not just make changes there with my diet but the way I eat too ..
  • sillybeachgirl
    Options
    I try not to watch TV while eating, I use a smaller plate, and smaller utensils and try drinking a full glass of water before my meal. That way my bites are smaller and it takes me longer to eat. I also try to really just enjoy my meal/ the main reason for not eating in front of the TV, is to try and disassociate the TV with food. My big issue is I love to eat while I am watching TV, so separating the too is really working for me.
  • nklunk
    nklunk Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I tend to eat fast cause I only get 30 min lunch and feel rushed and then at home I have a two year old so for me to eat a warm meal never happens so I find myself eating really fast.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    3 nights a week I eat dinner in class>.< I try to make it not to noisy or yummy smelling.
    My boyfriend:love: has been on a risotto kick so i do that once a week and we eat and play video games together...weird I know.
    Sometimes we eat at his work, or I'll meet him on campus and we'll get food there.

In short? I HAVE NO RITUAL!!! :laugh: I'm too all over the place at dinner time.

You want ritual? Talk to me about Breakfast!
  • sapphireswi
    sapphireswi Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Yup I tend to do that too . .
    So now I pick my dinner bowl and try and savor every bite and not eat in a hurry.
    It is psychological cos when you eat in a hurry ur brain doesn't register that ur full!!!
    Also since I'm doing smaller portions I like to chew my food well instead of gobbling it up.
    If the tv is on that's fine I just like to stop eating for a while and watch tv then resume stop resume . . . .
  • brandee777
    Options
    I believe your main goal is portion. Train yourself to have a fist size portion of the 'goodies' (meat, pasta, main filler, etc) load it up from there with veggies and whole grain/wheat foods, more so on the veggie side... EX if i had a steak or fish, I will just load my plate with whatever veggies and place the sliced or cubed meat on top! Sometimes I add salad dressing.... Definately chewing more before swallowing will help! Lots of us swallow half chewed food. Water is excellent. Drink it as soon as you wake up, mid morning, before lunch, mid afternoon, before supper and at 8pm only 250ml of it and try to do so at the same time each day. Of course drink more if you like! :0) Just as you have trained yourself to eat at 7pm in front of T.V you can train yourself to eat healthy breakfast medium lunch and smaller supper (unless of course you are going to the gym or exersicing at night then you may want to fill up at supper!) Snack in between too if necessary, fruits whole grains and watch your portions!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    There are no routines on the weekends for us. But during the work week we typically eat dinner at home somewhere between 8:30 - 9:30 p.m. If the weather is nice we often eat out on the porch, otherwise we always eat in front of the TV.

I exceeded my original weight loss goal long ago and have maintained it for well over a year, so I don't see any reason to change anything. Clearly it's working just fine for me.