Does anyone have good venison recipes?

Options
kandilynn03
kandilynn03 Posts: 110 Member
My dad killed two 8pt bucks in the last week. I need ways to cook it, preferably ways that aren't breaded and deep-fried.

Replies

• DaphneAtx
    Options
    Did you try a search on Google?
  • bodyrollin
    bodyrollin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    What cuts do you want to know...game cooking is some of my favorite...
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    LOVE that thread. Respect to your dad.

Wild meat tastes very nice, just need to cook longer.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Do you get it processed into sausage or hamburger? I use those for all kinds of recipes: enchiladas, spaghetti, even baked egg rolls!
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    deer spaggetti is good! make it like regular spaggetti but with deer meat.
    deer chili is good too! .. and do the same like spaggetti but with deer meat!

and congradulations to your dad on the deer! hmm,maybe it's time for me to go get out in the deer stand.
  • justajiffy
    Options
    Slinging it in a slow cooker for the day is good and easy. Roll the diced venison lightly in some seasoned flour and just stick some mushrooms, chopped onions and couple cloves of garlic with the diced venison into a slow cooker. Put a little red wine, a couple of teaspoons of redcurrant jelly. (I think you call jelly what we call jam though so not sure what redcurrant jelly would be - its like a clear jelly!?) - An alaternative to the red wine is some guiness or dark ale.
  • kandilynn03
    kandilynn03 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help, guys. I've been searching for recipes, but I haven't found a lot that didn't have a million ingredients.

I love deer spaghetti and chili, which I make a lot. I know we are getting a lot of it ground. We are getting the backstrap in 1/2 to 3/4 inch slices. The hams are going to be cut into tenderized pieces. We haven't told the butcher what we wanted to do with the second one, so I'm trying to figure out what we need to do with it.

I really love the crock pot idea, though.
  • schuckj88
    schuckj88 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My husband is a hunter and taxidermist so we eat quite a bit of venison. Here are two recipies that always turn out good. I'm sorry I haven't done the calorie count because I just started MFP last week.

Roast Beef in Mushroom Gravy

2-21/2 lb beef roast (or venison)
    1 envelope dry onion soup mix
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    ½ cup water
    Optional: can of mushrooms
    Cook in crock pot 7-8 hours

Beef Stroganoff I from All Recipies.com

Submitted by: Jessica
    Rated: 4 out of 5 by 938 members Prep Time: 10 Minutes
    Cook Time: 8 Hours Ready In: 8 Hours 10 Minutes
    Yields: 4 servings
    INGREDIENTS:
    1 pound cubed beef stew meat (canned venison/or venison roast.
    2 10.75 oz can condensed golden mushroom soup
    1/2 cup chopped onion 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 cup water
    4 ounces cream cheese & a little sour cream
    DIRECTIONS:
    1. In a slow cooker, combine the meat, soup, onion, Worcestershire sauce and water.
    2. Cook on Low setting for 8 hours, or on High setting for about 5 hours. Stir in cream cheese just before serving. Add a dollop of sour cream to each serving.

Lastly, we use the backstrap or steaks for fajitas too.
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    love venison, lucky you. Try making a venison stew with red wine yummmmmy xxx Enjoy
  • thibideau
    thibideau Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I use my pressure cooker for Venison/Moose steak - debone the meat Put a little oil in the pressure cooker. When hot, I sear both sides of the meat than I add chili sauce or ketchup, slices of onion and a little water. When cooked this make a very taste meal.

For a roast I put in slow cooker add can of cr of mushroom soup and 8 oz of zero coke. Meat is very tender and delicious. Have also used canned tomatoes instead of soup and coke.