My FIRST 5K!

Options
mjterp
mjterp Posts: 655 Member
Yeah, I'm fat. (245 pounds give or take depending on fluid retention, TOM, etc.) I'm working on it. Progress not perfection. Many people here are losing way faster...But I keep plugging away.

I didn't think I would EVER share here...yet here I am. WHY? Because if *I* can do a 5K, ANYONE with working legs CAN!

I have been doing couch to 5k. I repeated some weeks. But I committed by signing up for my FIRST 5k which was this morning!
I made it through week 6...but always on my treadmill. Treadmill was nice for seeing my improvement week to week. I started out warming up at 1.6-1.8 mph (and it was tiring!) and "running" at 2.5mph. After a few weeks, I was pumping up the warm up speed to 2.0 and the "run" speed to 3.0. By the time I was at week 5 I was warming up at 2.5 and "running" at 3.6. I KNOW this is slow...but it was a huge accomplishment for me.

SO...I would do the C25K program twice through to get in my 3.1 miles...and the FASTEST that I ever did 3.1 miles (5k) from my treadmill was 63 minutes. So when I was calculating how long it would take me to do my first "real" 5K, because I was told their would be a difference in being outside, as well as a difference because of having HILLS (yeah...I thought I would die a few times) I calculated that it would take me about 75 minutes. (and to set my mind at ease, my only goal was to complete the darn thing!) BUT I DID IT! Woggled it. (walk/jogged...probably more walking than jogging.) BUT I DID IT. AND IN RECORD TIME for me! At the first mile marker, I was on track at 20 minutes per mile. I did have to take a detour into the woods for a quick pee. (the hazzards of staying hydrated! LOL) I was shocked and thought something was wrong with my watch when I hit the 2 mile marker at 36 minutes. So to cross the finish line with an official time of 52:12 had me smiling so hard I thought my face would break!

My kids met me for the last quarter mile-ish...and cheered me on. My middle son kept saying "you know you want those bananas at the finish line! C'mon mom!" and my youngest had me doing MATH problems! Anything to keep my mind off of my heavy breathing and KEEP ME RUNNING! I think that was my longest stretch of running except for the first 16 minutes I did (breathing too hard halfway up that first hill, so I caved and walked).

TRULY, If you are AT ALL in doubt about running...DO IT! I am thrilled with my awesome shoes (went to a real running store and paid more than I have ever paid for shoes before in my LIFE! WORTH IT!!!) And while the scale hasn't moved much, the measuring tape has showed significant changes in my hips and thighs!

I never would have been able to do it without the help and support from all of my wonderful friends here on MFP.
The information, support, encouragement and accountability here is FANTASTIC!

THANK YOU ALL!
Pictures on my profile. my profile is open. Friends welcome.

Replies

• WillaTKC
    WillaTKC Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I did my first about a month ago, and it feels great, doesn't it!? :)
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,939 Member
    Options
    that is some accomplishment.You must be so proud of yourself :flowerforyou:
  • jekissa729
    Options
    That's awesome!! You should be very proud of your accomplishment!!
  • wendytc
    wendytc Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Great job! Just did my first one on Saturday!!! Congratulations!!
  • polar135
    polar135 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Amazing! I went from never running in April of 2011, to now i ran 3 half Marathons last summer! Keep up the good work and you will do it! Be proud and use it to keep on track!
  • JenniferSpindel
    JenniferSpindel Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've been saying I'm going to do a 5k in February... myfirst. BUt I've been putting off signing up cause I've had a bad week and I'm afraid I've fallen off the wagon.

I'm going right now to sign up for it.

And I'm going to do it.

Thank you for being an inspiration. You have no idea how much it means....
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Inspiring, YAY. Thanks for sharing!

:drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :happy: :happy:
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    This was an awesome post. And you are awesome!! What a great improvement in your time and dedication to your goal. Keep running strong!!!
  • Findingmyathlete
    Findingmyathlete Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    What an awesome accomplishment. I'm so proud of you. I loved reading your story, especially the part at the end where your kids came to cheer you on and motivate you *tear*. So sweet :) Good job!!!
    I'm planning on running a 5k on Thanksgiving Day. Nervous and will be alone but I wanted to start off Thanksgiving good. Your post actually really encouraged me!
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to you! Your story is very inspirational. Keep up the good work!
  • dreamchaser12
    dreamchaser12 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! You did it!! What a feeling eh!!?! I ran my first 5k at the end of September. That last km is BRUTAL!! But what an amazing feeling of accomplishment when you cross that finish line!! :happy:
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    That is terrific! I did my first 5K a year ago next weekend. I, too did the C25K program. Isn't it the best thing ever!?! I fell in love with running and never stopped! Keep up the great work! It sounds like your kids are behind you 100%. Keep doing those math equations (during the hills to keep your mind off the difficulty of the hill) or anything you can think of to keep yourself motivated and remember that I will be your "virtual cheer leader"! YEAH!! Great job!!!
  • DMUND
    DMUND Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS!!!!! So proud and so happy that your kids were there to show their support. You just keep on doing what you are doing!!! Big Hugs!~
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    what a fantastic and uplifting post...congratulations on such a massive accomplishment and I hope this serves to inspire others and make people realise '' what is possible?''...
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    You are AWESOME!! thank you for sharing! I just started a beginner 5K training program at our local running store, and I'm loving it. It's slow progress, but progress nonetheless. You are an inspiration!
  • gungho66
    gungho66 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Freakin fantastic !!!! keep up the good work and just keep plugging along one day at a time. It will happen , I,m living proof
  • Mummsy
    Mummsy Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Spectacular!!!!!
  • wrae727
    Options
    Awesome job. We (a group of ladies at work who started walking with me in August) just did a 5K, but we walked. I try to jog off and on, just don't like it. I too have lost hardly no weight, but lost inches. I am about the same size as you, it can be discouraging not losing weight, but the loose clothes and 5K accomplishments will push you on. Great job to your kids for being an awesome inspiration. When I crossed the finish line, no one was there from my family to cheer me on. My friends and their family cheered me on. We take inspiration wherever we can get it :)
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    Thanks for sharing you wonderful story, very inspiring. Running for 52 minutes at max effort is very hard, good job pulling through the entire course.
  • cwettstain
    cwettstain Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! This makes me want to get off my butt and do something. Thank you for the inspiration!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!