Replies

• tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    This is not a long term solution
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Counting bites sounds like a prescription for developing neuroses. It's obsessive, unpleasant, tedious, and will take on more importance to the person counting than it's worth. If you are worried about portion sizes as you don't get to control what's served, go here:

http://www.choosemyplate.gov/
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Interesting premise, but there's a big difference between 80 bites of ice cream and 80 bites of salad without dressing and 80 bites of meat. Wouldn't work for me. I like the measuring cup/food scale method.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Maybe instead of restricting yourself to a number of bites you should try to practise more mindful eating. Chew each mouthful 10 times before swallowing. Eat slower so you fill up and don't over eat. Focus on the taste and texture of the food in your mouth. There are plenty of strategies that work for binge eating, this one just seems a little vauge, uncertain and unsustainable. When you can control it, eat lots of low calorie, nutrient dense foods so you can eat lots (salads and veggies etc). Drink plenty of water to help you feel full. Log everything so you know the calorie count of what you are eating. Check before eating something the serving size and calorie count and decide if it's worth it. So then you don't eat something and realise you've just had 1000 calories. I understand that binge eating is compulsive, I've been there (and still are, but getting better).

You can also use distraction techniques to stop the binging, go for a walk, call a friend, listen to music etc.

I don't think this 80 bite diet sounds good as an overall plan but maybe you can work out some sort of bite limit that you can apply to certain calorie-dense foods. Especially if you are forced because of family members to eat certain meals. For example, if you are eating a salad you can have as many bites as you want but if you are eating creamy pasta set yourself a reasonable bite limit as a means of portion control. Moderation is the key to successful weight loss so you just need to find what works for you
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I would never suggest this to anybody, honestly.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Oh my - this again? Why not just eat healthy and exercise? Ridiculous nonsense like this will never work long term...
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Warning..... somebody started a similar thread a week or two ago were mocked endlessly

And then the post got locked ;)
  • Squash16
    Squash16 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    ****ing Stupid. Who the hell counts how many bites they take in a day