First Month

Options
I have just completed my first month of this new chapter of my life and have found myself to be filled with conflicting emotions. On one hand this really was easier than I thought possible. I feel smarter about my food choices, actually enjoying my time at the gym, and have lost 6 inches and 7.5 pounds. Considering the obstacles of plantar fasciitis and killer bronchitis in addition to my usual excuses for not exercising I feel like I should be proud of my accomplishments.

...on the other hand....

There is the negativity that is nagging in the back of my mind. Anyone can loose 7 pounds. That was probably water weight. What is 7 pounds when you need to loose 100? No need to get excited about such a small accomplishment.

The really weird thing is that I am normally such a positive person. I am hoping that my return to my bootcamp work out group tomorrow will pull me out of this funk. Did anyone else feel like this? As if you shouldn't celebrate the small things? At what point do you feel like it is "Real"? Should I get used to 2 pounds per week or with more exercise (and less illness) can I expect better results my second month?

Replies

• GO_NadZ_xO
    GO_NadZ_xO Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I'll start by saying that it takes a long time to put weight on and its going to take a long time to take it off.

7.5 pounds in one month! -- sure, anyone can do it, but to say that you shouldn't get excited over that isnt right.

Imagine if you could do that every month.
    100 pounds / 7.5 pounds = 13.33

That means, by Christmas next year, you'll have a whole new you! Doesn't that sound great!?

It normal to feel the negative emotions during your journey. Those emotions are always going to be there. What I think you should do is get out a pen and paper and write down all the positive things vs all the negatives.

Let me start this for you :

Negative:
    You've reached a point where you have to change yourself (like most of us)
    Youre having negative feelings

Positive:
    You've started your journey.
    Youve lost inches
    Youve lost pounds
    Youre finding it easier than you thought (remember the more weight you have to lose the easier it is to lose it)
    Youre making beter food choices
    Youre exercising and like it!
    You've posted here because youre concerned about your negative feelings.
    You feel like you should be proud? BE PROUD!! I am!
  • tammyjeananbari
    Options
    No matter what the loss is it is a loss.....baby steps..stay strong. This is my first week. I hate dieting. I had the band almost 7 years ago. I was pretty successful,lost 70 percent of my weight but starting getting comfortable and since than have regained 18lbs. I want to try and lose it on my own without having to get another fill to tighten the band.Unfortunately I am one of those people who want to see results like yesterday. But I am going to give this a try and hope it works. so far I like it. Good luck with your goals.
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I was cutting for 2 month, and my weight loss , eventhough was not linear, averaged at 2lbs/week.

had a week long plateau at 203lbs( didnt give up )

so from 217lbs, to 191lbs now (after mcdonalds)

i use http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/
    +
    accurate food scale
    +
    only food items that i can accurately measure
    +
    i do not eat calories back ever, and i do not log excercise.
  • jenncampbell01
    Options
    Thanks guys. I surely didn't brag about gaining all of this weight so I don't know why I feel like I should want to celebrate the loss. Guess I have spent too much time in the success story section and SOooo looking forward to my turn to say look at what I was able to accomplish! I am in this for the long haul and excited to be healthy enough to go back to the gym in the morning. I think setting small goals will be helpful instead of looking at the overwhelming big picture.