What to wear in super cold weather? (From Florida)

Options
BroiledNotFried
BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
I just found out that I am going to Wyoming this winter! Skiing!!

Despite being a figure skater , I own VERY little warm weather gear. I do have a down jacket, ski bibs, skating stockings, and lots of yoga pants. I have a pair of super nordic snow boots. Except for the yoga pants, this is all old. You see, I live in South Florida. I mainly own tropical stuff and a wide variety of flip flops.

Today, i went shopping for warm weather gear. Like, non-existant here in Florida's stores. I looked at long sleeve shirts in the store. I'm wanting "warm" ones. What did I find? Shirts were either see-through, too blingy, or so knitty & cheap they made every lump of fat show through.

I have, I think, 2 pairs of jeans (that are not heavy). I own NO warm pants. It looks like I am going to have to hunt on the Internet? What do you recommend I buy for 7 days in Jackson Hole in January, without breaking the bank? I am a classic dresser, but not to the point that I would wear the pill hats or pink suits that Queen Elizabeth wears. I don't like bling, except for a black tie event. I saw some cashmere pants & sweaters, but don't want to shell out $500 a piece! I did see some marino wool pants, but are they itchy? Need help.

Skating (yes, either my skating boots or flip flops is how I glide).

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    Layers are the key to keeping warm. I would do a tight cami, then a long sleeved tee-shirt/under-armor-esque shirt, then a jacket. I bet your down jacket will be fine, especially if you were to add a sweatshirt in between the long-sleeved shirt and jacket. I have never been skiing so I am not sure if the sweatshirt would be a good idea (because of the hood), but you could do a crew-neck sweatshirt.

I would look for shirts at Under-Armor or something similar. You could look at ****'s Sporting Goods online or REI or Gander Mountain. All should have winter clothes like that.

Jean will be fine for non-skiing moments, I wear them most of the time, plus I usually wear flats with no socks, unless the snow is five-feet deep or it's -30.

Are you going to dress up and do stuff? If so, a nice sweater dress and tights and tall leather boots would do the trick. I see sweater dresses at tons of stores, from JCP to more expensive stores.
  • jenjones28
    jenjones28 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I live about an hour away from Jackson Hole. Jeans are more than ok for going out to dinner, etc, while you're there. Thicker leggings and long sweaters over a cami would be good too, with boots. For skiing or snowboarding, check out some of the online ski shops. Like the above poster said, layers are going to be best. Most people don't wear heavy coats to ski in because you get so warm, but it would be good to take one to wear around outside and then take a thinner ski jacket to wear over a sweater or thermal long sleeve tshirt while you're skiing. You'll probably want to pick up some thin snow pants to wear over leggings on the hill too. Warm socks and gloves though!!

Edited to add: In Jackson, the snow WILL be close to five feet deep and it could be -30. ;)
  • thoseblueeyes
    thoseblueeyes Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I layer up since I hate to be cold. The more clothes the better for me.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    Edited to add: In Jackson, the snow WILL be close to five feet deep and it could be -30. ;)

Haha good for the OP to know! No flats without socks!

ETA The store is D I C K ' S sporting goods. hahahaha love that it got starred out.