Needing 8 glasses of water a day a "myth"

Options

Replies

• zeala
    zeala Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I think honestly that everyone has a different water requirement, especially if we are all different sizes, do different things etc. I don't drink 8 glasses of water. That would just require me to force it, and end up going to the bathroom more. I drink what my body needs, and as someone else mentioned, I think seeing your urine is a better indicator ( unless you eat beats, they can throw it off ).
  • dogmeat
    dogmeat Posts: 83
    Options
    Scientists still can't prove how the bumble bee can fly. But it flies.

While this is an often-quoted thing, there has never been any scientific doubts regarding bee flight. The calculations that lead to this myth were done to show that bee flight isn't fixed-wing kind, not that it violates any aerodynamic principles. Basically, a bee isn't a 747.

As for the water intake, drink what you're comfortable with. There's no magic in 8 glasses of water a day. One of the neat early pre-symptoms of dehydration is thirst. If you're not thirsty throughout the day, you're probably not dehydrated.
  • SnakePlissken
    SnakePlissken Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    When we were cave dwellers there weren't any choices of what to drink other than water.
    But modern man has replaced his water consumption with chemical Horses#$^ and sugar laden liquids.
    One of the reasons behind suggesting to people that they drink 8 glasses of water is that they'll replace the sugary and chemical baloney with something much healthier,........ water. I mean a lot of people coming to a site like this have a giant problem pounding soda. When they're thirsty, they pick up a coke or pepsi.

No carbs, No sugar, No salt. That's why water is good for you. It doesn't do the damage of the stuff we've replaced it with.
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    A friend told me that 8 8-oz glasses a day doesn't necessarily work for everyone and that a better way to figure out how much water your body needs to properly function/maintain healthy operation is to take your body weight, divide by 2 and that's how many oz you should drink per day. For example, I'm 165 lbs (at 5 ft 9 in), so I'd take 165 divide by 2 which would be 82.5 lbs or 82.5 oz of water (apprx 10 8-oz cups). LIkewise, if someone was 115 lbs they'd only need 7 8-oz cups of water. I find that as long as I drink at least 8 glasses I'm feeling really good; if I make it to 10 I feel great! And, I've found that the more I drink water, the less I crave soda, sweet tea, and all the other not-so-good-for-you drinks. :wink:

One of the reasons these formulas, or any generalizations should be taken with a grain of salt....given my weight, and this formula, I would be drinking 18!!! cups of water a day. Just drown me now....

On the other hand, thirst is not always a first line indicator of dehydration - again, because many folks aren't in tune with their bodies, or because we have different thresholds of discomfort.

I don't think that anyone is arguing that water is a good thing and probably a clearly preferred alternative to most other beverages (pardon the pun), but I think the point is that you don't need to draw a line in the sand that says choke down 8 glasses of water because you aren't going to lose weight if you don't.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Drinking ice water burns calories. That should be enough of a reason to do it.
    http://health.howstuffworks.com/question447.htm
  • cranberrycat
    cranberrycat Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I think that drinking 4 glasses of pure water is going to be better than trying to force 8 cups artificial-something down.

We get hydration from foods, too. Veggies contain a lot of water, and that contributes to our fluid intake.

And, don't forget about the benefits of drinking tea or coffee (yes, coffee). Besides providing hydration, both of these beverages provide wonderful antioxidants for our body. Just be careful of what is added to it. So, if you are a coffee or tea drinker, these beverages would count. Many people enjoy a cup of coffee or tea every day, and that should decrease the need for water consumption.

I don't know if this has been debated here before, but there is another myth out there that caffeine is a diuetic, and that if one drinks a caffeinated beverage that he/she should drink an additional glass of water. I googled this, and it turned out that there really is no definite diuretic action at all.
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I've never read anywhere that says "You need 8 glasses of water a day". But, 8 glasses of water is a BASIC GUIDELINE for people who can't seem to figure out how much water is good for them based on their specific factors: your health, how active you are and where you live. For me personally...as I have been active and healthy I have experimented with my water intake to find out what was best for me. 8 glasses of water is not enough for me, that is about half of what I need to be intaking everyday. And, regardless of what you say...I know that is best for me.

Every day you lose water through your breath, perspiration, urine and bowel movements. In order for your body to properly function, you need to replenish your body's water supply by consuming beverages and foods that contain water. THAT, my friend, is scientific evidence. Of course no scientist can calculate how much water exactly each person needs because each person is different based on their health, activity level and where they live, etc.

What exactly are you looking for? I mean, I understand you don't think people should be filling their water with other contaminations & artificial sweetners and things...but that has nothing to do with the amount of water you should be putting into your body. Whether they choose to sweeten their drinks is up to them and their health. At least they are getting the liquids they need to adequately replenish their body's water supply.

And...just FYI...I got the following from the Mayo Clinic on Water....

***The average urine output for adults is about 1.5 liters (6.3 cups) a day. You lose close to an additional liter of water a day through breathing, sweating and bowel movements. Food usually accounts for 20 percent of your total fluid intake, so if you consume 2 liters of water or other beverages a day (a little more than 8 cups) along with your normal diet, you will typically replace the lost fluids.
  • dogmeat
    Options
    Coffee is especially good for those of us who are obese, as it also lowers your chances of developing type 2 diabetes.

I generally drink 4-6 mugs of coffee a day, usually with milk. That takes care of my hydration and calcium needs (and no, coffee doesn't leech calcium from your body either, another urban legend).
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    Options
    I think that drinking 4 glasses of pure water is going to be better than trying to force 8 cups artificial-something down.

We get hydration from foods, too. Veggies contain a lot of water, and that contributes to our fluid intake.

And, don't forget about the benefits of drinking tea or coffee (yes, coffee). Besides providing hydration, both of these beverages provide wonderful antioxidants for our body. Just be careful of what is added to it. So, if you are a coffee or tea drinker, these beverages would count. Many people enjoy a cup of coffee or tea every day, and that should decrease the need for water consumption.

I don't know if this has been debated here before, but there is another myth out there that caffeine is a diuetic, and that if one drinks a caffeinated beverage that he/she should drink an additional glass of water. I googled this, and it turned out that there really is no definite diuretic action at all.

Isn't it a little hypocritical to say that we shouldn't consume 8 cups of "artificial-something", but yet you're saying that drinking coffee will decrease the need for water consumption? I have never seen any good side effects of coffee. Granted there are some bogus (in my opinion) studies that "show" coffee is good for you...but I have never seen the results. From what I've seen when one doesn't get their coffee fixation..they get headaches, get irritable and they can't function without it. (not to mention it increases blood pressure) Does that even sound healthy? Granted I know a lot of people drink coffee, but still, its not good for you. Water is the best way to replenish your body :)

Anyways, I don't mean to sound grumpy...but I am a big advocate on drinking water. Especially since I've seen so many horrible side effects of drinking coffee as a "water substitute" in my own family. Most people could use a little more water (and pure water, might I add) to their daily diets.
  • dogmeat
    Options
    I have NEVER seen any good side effects of coffee. Granted there are some bogus (in my opinion) studies that "show" coffee is good for you...but have you ever seen the results? From what I've seen when one doesn't get their coffee fixation..they get headaches, get irritable and they can't function without it. (not to mention it increases blood pressure, Does that even sound healthy? Granted I know a lot of people drink coffee, but still, its not good for you. Just like soda is not healthy nor good for you. Are you going to start telling us now that soda is better than water??
    You don't "see" the good side effects of coffee as they relate to lowered chances to contract diseases like type 2 diabetes and parkinson's disease.

Also; coffee doesn't raise your blood pressure.

It's hardly a "health drink", but it's not bad for you either. If you prefer to drink your coffee over plain water, there's nothing wrong with that.
  • cranberrycat
    Options

Isn't it a little hypocritical to say that we shouldn't consume 8 cups of "artificial-something", but yet you're saying that drinking coffee will decrease the need for water consumption? I have NEVER seen any good side effects of coffee. Granted there are some bogus (in my opinion) studies that "show" coffee is good for you...but have you ever seen the results? From what I've seen when one doesn't get their coffee fixation..they get headaches, get irritable and they can't function without it. (not to mention it increases blood pressure, Does that even sound healthy? Granted I know a lot of people drink coffee, but still, its not good for you. Just like soda is not healthy nor good for you. Are you going to start telling us now that soda is better than water??

I don't think it is a bit hypocritical to say what I said. Coffee isn't an artificial beverage. People have been drinking coffee for a very long time. Yes, caffeine can be addicting, and that can be an issue. But, I was under the impression that we were debating fluid intake, not caffeine addiction.

Moderate coffee consumption has not been shown to have any harmful effects at all... but I think this debate should be saved for another thread.

Diet soda, artifically flavored water, these are the things that probably call for additional fluids in order to flush away the toxins. Trying to squeeze in 8 glasses of water by way of artificially flavored beverages is not healthy/
  • cranberrycat
    Options

Anyways, I don't mean to sound grumpy...but I am a big advocate on drinking water. Especially since I've seen so many horrible side effects of drinking coffee as a "water substitute" in my own family. Most people could use a little more water (and pure water, might I add) to their daily diets.

Just caught the edit to your post. I don't disagree on your advocacy of drinking water. Anything that is overdone can be harmful. Water, included.
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    Options
    I have NEVER seen any good side effects of coffee. Granted there are some bogus (in my opinion) studies that "show" coffee is good for you...but have you ever seen the results? From what I've seen when one doesn't get their coffee fixation..they get headaches, get irritable and they can't function without it. (not to mention it increases blood pressure, Does that even sound healthy? Granted I know a lot of people drink coffee, but still, its not good for you. Just like soda is not healthy nor good for you. Are you going to start telling us now that soda is better than water??
    You don't "see" the good side effects of coffee as they relate to lowered chances to contract diseases like type 2 diabetes and parkinson's disease.

Also; coffee doesn't raise your blood pressure.

It's hardly a "health drink", but it's not bad for you either. If you prefer to drink your coffee over plain water, there's nothing wrong with that.

Like I said...I'e never "seen" the good side effects...because to me...I don't believe they can be completely proven. However, I have seen the side effects of: jitters & uncontrollable shaking (even more so when coffee hasn't been consumed), headaches/migranes, fatigue. The doctors at the Mayo Clinic told my grandfather that he needed to cut back on his coffee intake because the caffeine was giving him increased blood pressure. Coffee is for sure, a physical dependant. Those that drink coffee regularly are dependent upon it. Its not a necessity, unlike water. It is a physical dependence.

But, in all honesty...its your health and you are doing what you feel right for your body. I don't think you'll do yourself much harm if you continue to drink your coffee. But, I do think that water, and pure water will health improve your help and hydration.

Edited in order to correct my spelling errors...it feels like a Monday!
  • cranberrycat
    Options
    Like I said, everything in moderation. Excessive coffee may be bad, but excessive water can be bad, too.
  • katenyc112
    Options
    well all bodily functions need water but 8 glasses is just recommended. Your body does need water but it's 8 give or take.
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Like I said, everything in moderation. Excessive coffee may be bad, but excessive water can be bad, too.

I'm not sure I've heard anything bad about drinking excessive water other than water intoxication. Since it isn't really water specific, is there something else you are referring to?
  • cranberrycat
    Options
    I'm not sure I've heard anything bad about drinking excessive water other than water intoxication. Since it isn't really water specific, is there something else you are referring to?

Water intoxication is what I was referring to . Sorry, I didn't include the quote that my prior post was directed at, otherwise it might have made more sense.
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    ...there is another myth out there that caffeine is a diuetic...

It's not a myth. It is a diuretic, just not a *omg I have to pee*. Caffeine has been studied extensively since it's such a widespread and effective stimulant.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/04/health/nutrition/04real.html?_r=2
    http://www.minddisorders.com/Br-Del/Caffeine-related-disorders.html

As far as 64 oz. of water. meh I drink what I'm comfortable with so I don't even bother measuring. I'm almost water exclusively.

There's plenty of people that don't drink enough and some that drink too much. Electrolytes, anyone?
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    ...there is another myth out there that caffeine is a diuetic...

It's not a myth. It is a diuretic, just not a *omg I have to pee*. Caffeine has been studied extensively since it's such a widespread and effective stimulant.

As far as 64 oz. of water. meh I drink what I'm comfortable with so I don't even bother measuring. I'm almost water exclusively.

There's plenty of people that don't drink enough and some that drink too much. Electrolytes, anyone?

Have you seen Idiocracy? That's what this reminded me of. "It has Electrolytes!"
  • cranberrycat
    Options

I really didn't plan on hijacking this thread with the caffeine debate, but I could point out even more references regarding the caffeine/diuretic myth.

Coffee has about the same diuretic effect that water does. You drink it, and it comes out.

i. Ballet S, et al (1969) Effect of coffee ingestion on catecholamine release. Met 18; 288-291
    ii. Dorfman LJ, Jarvik ME (1970) Comparative stimulant and diuretic actions of caffeine and theobromine in man. Clin Pharmacol Ther 11; 869-872
    iii. Massey L, Wise K (1984) The effect of dietary caffeine on urinary excretion of calcium, magnesium, sodium and potassium in healthy young females. Nutr Res 4; 43-50
    iv. Neuhäuser-Berthold M, et al (1997) Coffee consumption and total body water homeostasis as measured by fluid balance and bioelectrical impedance analysis. Ann Nutr Met 41; 29-36
    v. Passmore AP, et al (1987) Renal and cardiovascular effects of caffeine: a dose-response study. Clin Sci (London) 72; 749-756
    vi. Robertson D, et al (1978) Effects of caffeine on plasma rennin activity, catecholamines and blood pressure. NEJM 298; 181-186
    vii. Wemple R, et al (1997) Caffeine vs caffeine-free sports drink: effects on urine production at rest and during prolonged exercise. Int J Sports Med 18; 40-46
    viii. Colton T, et al (1968) The tolerance of coffee drinkers to caffeine. Clin Pharmacol Ther 9; 31-39
    ix. Denaro C, et al (1991) Effects of caffeine with repeated dosing. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 40; 273-278
    x. Goldstein A, et al (1969) Psychotropic effects of caffeine in man. IV. Quantitative and qualitative differences associated with habituation to coffee. Clin Pharmacol Ther 10; 489-497
    xi. Myers M, Reeves R (1991) The effect of caffeine on daytime ambulatory blood pressure. Am J Hypertens 4; 427-431
    xii. Robertson D, et al (1981) Tolerance to the humoral and hemodynamic effects of caffeine in man. J Clin Invest 67; 1111-1117
    xiii. Grandjean AC, et al (2000) The effect of caffeinated, non caffeinated, caloric and non-caloric beverages on hydration. JACN 19; 591-600
    xiv. Armstrong LE (2002) Caffeine, body fluid-electrolyte balance, and exercise performance. Int J Sport Nutr and Exer Met 12; 189-206