Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

EXTRA SKIN

leelu
leelu Posts: 136 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I have a lot of weight to loose and I am pretty determined to do it so I think its going to come off. but I am really worried about stories I have heard about baggy skin (I am 36 years old and have been overwieight all my life)

Are there things I can do at the begining of the journey to help this not be a problem at the end?

Replies

• KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    I think the biggest thing you can do is lose the weight at a slow healthy rate to give your skin a chance to rebound. You may still get some baggy skin but it shouldn't be too bad. And hey extra skin is better than being overweight right?
  • I'm only 18 and I have baggy skin and strech marks already. But the way I see it, I would pick baggy skin over being large anyday! Don't worry too much about it becasue you can hide it, tone it and I hear eventually it will get better. Also if you get the strech marks use aloe, vit. D, or maybe try cocoa butter. Not sure what one works best but I have been trying them out and hopefully I see results soon!

GOOD LUCK!!! You will do great! :)
  • burner
    burner Posts: 72 Member
    Look at pregnancy skin products...similar thing innit? stretch marks n all that?

saying that - I'm a bloke - what do i know... :tongue:
  • leelu
    leelu Posts: 136 Member
    Look at pregnancy skin products...similar thing innit? stretch marks n all that?

saying that - I'm a bloke - what do i know... :tongue:

if its about pregnancy quite possibly more than me .... i am not the maternal type in any way
  • I am 23, i lost 60ish pounds when i was 17/18 years old, now i have extra skin around my belly button area. and i also have a lot of stretch marks. I would suggest making sure you do weights! i knew nothing about strength training so i didnt do any! it would of helped prevent the extra skin on my belly and arms. Also i lost weight too fast(i was 17 and 220 lbs so it was fairly easy to lose weight with little effort besides healthy eating and exercise). i would def. choose the extra skin over being 220 lbs again though ;-) Good luck!!! just remember strength training for toning and don't lose too fast!
  • la4et
    la4et Posts: 134 Member
    I have very saggy skin on my biceps and thighs especially. I am doing all I can but I think it will take a long time. I lost 67 over 10 months, the right way, but the skin is still there- yuck!
  • I'm only 18 and I have baggy skin and strech marks already. But the way I see it, I would pick baggy skin over being large anyday!

I completely agree with Alexa!! I am 21 and I've had stretch marks since puberty - when I started getting fat. The way I see it, especially with my belly/hip stretch marks, is that I was going to end up getting them when I eventually had a baby anyway. (I do want a family down the road) so at least I can't blame the kid. :]

I tried all the lotions and creams and my stretch marks are just white now.. They NEVER go away without surgery or laser treatments because a stretch mark is essentially where the collagen and elastin in your skin have separated (and you can't re-connect them with creams).. I was devastated to learn that..

My arms were former "floatie arms" and so I do have a hint of the granny "bingo wings" unless I flex my tricep. But still, I would rather have the loose skin and some muscle definition than a bunch of FLAB.
  • When I started to lose weight I was affraid of sagging skin and all that too. I have lost a good deal of weight but really have minimal sagging. My problem area is my upper arms where there is a little but I am working on that. I lost weight slowly and incorperated weight lifting or strengthtraining into my workouts along with walking for cardio. I lost weight but was toning at the same time. Also DRINK YOUR WATER! It is very good for the skin and helps it maintain elasticity. As for stretch marks if you have em or are prone to them there is not much you can do. I use cocoa butter which helps smooths them and makes them less visible. I look at it this way: So I may have stretchmarks and some sagging, who cares? I am healthy active and proud of what I have accomplished and noone can take that away. Hope this helps GOOD LUCK!
This discussion has been closed.