1200 calories?

Options
mfp told me to consume 1200 calories a day... is this safe?

Replies

• helloburger
    helloburger Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    what is your height?
  • squishypillow
    Options
    154cm
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    im 5'9 - 1.76m ... they told me 1200cals a day nd im a male ! rough as #### lol
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    my bad , i didnt put down that im male is it automatically assumed im female when calculating my calorie needs :P... yes it is safe , women can go as low as 1200 and still be perfectly healthy :)
  • meginki
    Options
    MFP put me on 1,210 a day to lose 1.5 a week (I'm around 170cm, 172).

Very much doable, but can sometimes be challenging!
  • serenalesley
    serenalesley Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm slightly taller than you and MFP tells me the same. However it ONLY tells me that when I tell it that I lead a sedentary lifestyle. If you're not burning any calories other than the ones that you use when sitting still, then 1200 per day is safe, yes.

HOWEVER, most days I DON'T sit on the sofa all day and unless you do, you're not sedentary either. The reason that I use this setting is because I have M.E. and there ARE a few days when I can't do much. However when I DO move, I make sure that MFP knows what I've done. I use a Fitbit to log this, however if you don't have an elecronic gadget that can tell MFP what you've done, you'll need to log it manually. You've walked for 10 minutes to the corner shop? Log it in the 'exercise' section. You've stood for 20 minutes chopping ingredients and stir-frying them? Log it. Logging movement will 'earn' you extra calories to eat.

Do this for a week or so. If you are logging more than a few things per day, then 'sedentary' is the wrong setting for you, in which case you should change it, which will give you more calories per day than 1200.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I felt rough on 1200 cals a day.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    you can eat a lot at 1200 a day if you eat the right things.
  • helloburger
    helloburger Posts: 243 Member
    Options

Totally agree, I eat lots of fruit and veggies that way I get full and they are low in calories for the quantity.

take a look at my diary and you can see what I eat on an average day
  • indigo_rose
    Options

Word! I'm 153 cm and on 1200 a day.. and I eat a fair bit.
  • serenalesley
    serenalesley Posts: 58 Member
    Options

Yep. Beansprouts or noodles in stir fries with mushroom, pepper etc., vegetables as the main part of your meal instead of chips, poultry instead of red meat, ryvita or tortilla instead of bread, regard cheese and other fatty snacks as an occasional treat, use sweeteners instead of sugar, choose natural cereals, use egg as the main part of your salad, etc.

Hope that helps. :)