Fitbit vs Polar hrm

Options
2»

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I have both as well. The Fitbit has a clip and it has never fallen off during exercise or normal activities. I have the Polar FT60 HRM that I wear during workouts. It is not intended to wear all day long. I think that Polar does make one that does that though. You do have to wear a chest band too. Definitely not as convenient as the FitBit.
    Now for the real issue: calorie burn reporting. I feel the the Polar is far more accurate than the assumed results that the FitBit technology of tiny environmental sensors produce. For example, the Fitbit reports 215 calories for a fast walk/jog while the Polar reports 454 calories.
    I would love to hear if anyone has more info on the discrepancy.

What model is good for all day activity?

HRMs by nature aren't capable of giving accurate all day activity estimates. There's really no tool out there that you can use for this. Honestly though it's not a bad thing because the truth is there's no reason to take it to THAT level of obsessiveness. You can use MFP's built in ranges of "sedentary" "Lightly active" etc... and leave it at that.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I have both as well. The Fitbit has a clip and it has never fallen off during exercise or normal activities. I have the Polar FT60 HRM that I wear during workouts. It is not intended to wear all day long. I think that Polar does make one that does that though. You do have to wear a chest band too. Definitely not as convenient as the FitBit.
    Now for the real issue: calorie burn reporting. I feel the the Polar is far more accurate than the assumed results that the FitBit technology of tiny environmental sensors produce. For example, the Fitbit reports 215 calories for a fast walk/jog while the Polar reports 454 calories.
    I would love to hear if anyone has more info on the discrepancy.

That's what I thought. Was just interested when someone suggested it.
    What model is good for all day activity?

HRMs by nature aren't capable of giving accurate all day activity estimates. There's really no tool out there that you can use for this. Honestly though it's not a bad thing because the truth is there's no reason to take it to THAT level of obsessiveness. You can use MFP's built in ranges of "sedentary" "Lightly active" etc... and leave it at that.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    If your gym machines give you a fairly reliable calorie reading then I'd go for the FitBit if I were you. It's something you'll get day long use out of, you get to use their website and see it sync with your profile here and you'll generally feel you're getting more value from your gift because for the most part your HRM would live in your gym bag. If it's motivation to do more you are after then the FitBit is the toy for you.

I've recently bought a cheap HRM which transmits directly to the gym machines but I feel the watch gives way too high a calorie reading so I'm sticking with the gym machine readings which are now more accurate because the chestband is giving it a constant reading of my heartrate without having to grip the sensors anymore.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    They're two completely different tools for two completely different purposes. The Fitbit is an all day tool for estimating calories burned for people who spend all day on their feet, and because it's based on a pedometer, can only accurately be used to measure forms of exercise that revolve around taking steps. Walking, running, stair climbing, etc... The HRM, on the other hand, actually measures your vitals. It can't effectively be used to calculate calories burned during strength training (except for when it's based exclusively on compound lifts with no isolation training), but for every other form of legitimate exercise, it's good.

Basically you have to ask yourself what you're looking for: Something that measures all day calorie burn via a pedometer (doesn't track your vitals, only steps taken and converts that), or something to measure calorie burn during exercise.

Personally I'd take the HRM and simply factor daily activity into my daily calorie requirements like MFP recommends.

This. I have both - I love both and wouldn't give up either one, but they are for two completely different purposes.