Thinking of trying Stevia. Anyone like it?

Options

Replies

• daryabella
    Options
    Loved it, but had to stop it. It completely stopped My cycles - and the wife of a friend also had issues where it threw her off her normal day count on her cycles.

both of of us stopped it, and My cycle came back in less than 9 days, and hers went back to normal almost immediately.

Mine were messed up for 4 months - I believe hers were about the same.

If you can tolerate it and doesn't affect you (appears only only affect a small minority of us) then go for it. If you notice it having an adverse affect in this way, just keep this in mind so you don't make yourself crazy trying to figure out the cause.

Good luck - and enjoy!

Is that true? I hadn't gotten mine in a couple months but figured it was just because of dance. Wow, had no idea stevia might be the cause...
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I use it in my coffee. I used to use splenda, but I ended up being nauseous ever day with it. With stevia, I don't have a problem at all :)
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    It's the only sweetener I use....It's the best one!
  • glahlstedt
    glahlstedt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I use stevia in my coffee. I have pre-diabetes, and my nutritionist advised that it is the only natural suger substitute out there on the market. Try it!!!!,
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Stevia also has flavored drops
  • schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Loved it, but had to stop it. It completely stopped My cycles - and the wife of a friend also had issues where it threw her off her normal day count on her cycles.

both of of us stopped it, and My cycle came back in less than 9 days, and hers went back to normal almost immediately.

Mine were messed up for 4 months - I believe hers were about the same.

If you can tolerate it and doesn't affect you (appears only only affect a small minority of us) then go for it. If you notice it having an adverse affect in this way, just keep this in mind so you don't make yourself crazy trying to figure out the cause.

Good luck - and enjoy!

Is that true? I hadn't gotten mine in a couple months but figured it was just because of dance. Wow, had no idea stevia might be the cause...

absolutely true. I don't know what percentage of people it happens too. I was doing some research and happened across a couple of sources that pointed to Stevia being used in the tribal areas as a form of birth control. is it true? no idea. Usually rumors have SOME bit of fact in them, and I figured it wouldn't hurt to stop the stuff and see if it made a difference.

is it possible that it was a concidence? anything is possible. but it wasn't only me that had that experience. the Point is, it's such an easy thing to test. If you stop taking it for a month or 2, and all of a sudden things go to normal, how many coincidences does it take for it to mean something.

Anyhow - give it a try. it's the easiest test you can do and it won't hurt to give it up for 1-2 months. If it does make a difference - let me know :) GOOD LUCK!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I think it tastes disgusting.
    All brands are nasty as hell. Most are laced with Maltodextrose as a filler, so you're defeating the purpose.
  • skrakalaka
    skrakalaka Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I think it tastes disgusting.

Yes
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    It has a bitter aftertaste to me and I've tried the poweder and the liquid. But try it, it might work for you.
  • praxisproject
    praxisproject Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Stevia in liquid form is usually more pure, but check the label. All powdered versions use some kind of filler, some are worse than others. Anything that's "spoon for spoon" will have the most filler (just like Splenda) as the filler is what makes it fluffy.

I have liquid drops and powdered Natvia in little serving packets. I like Natvia and stevia in cold things, but I'm not a fan of stevia when it's hot, seems more bitter or weird tasting.

The ways stevia sweetness is extracted from the plant are usually far from natural, so just keep that in mind when thinking of it as a natural substance. You can grow your own, but many don't like the taste.
  • freckles_cmj
    freckles_cmj Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I use truvia in the packets. It took a bit of getting used to as it did taste a bit different than what I used to use, but I like it a lot better than equal or splenda now.
  • phillips0911
    Options
    I've never had straight stevia. I noticed I was using a lot of splenda (coffee, baked goods. anything I wanted sweet) So, I decided to try Truvia today. I bought targets store brand because its like $2 for 40 packet box. It's pretty good. I did notice an after-taste, but it's not bad. I went the cheaper route incase I hated it. :)
  • vaavale
    vaavale Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    At the moment I am growing the plant outside. Going to dry some and powder it just to see what it tastes like will let you know.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I use the Meijer (local store) brand stevia in packets. I don't use it much in plain yogurt and unsweetened applesauce mostly. I like it. I haven't tried any of the other brands.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I adore Truvia (I use it in baking, straight from the packets, not the baking variety mixed with sugar) and use it to put on heated fruits and cold strawberries. But I've heard some criticisms of Truvia about not being good enough stevia or stevia enough.
  • Michellelmt
    Michellelmt Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I love Stevia...I keep the packets in my purse :love:
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I use powder, I buy the little packets for like my coffee or tea and I buy a big ol' bag of stevia in the raw for my baking. I love love love the stuff!
  • breeZrizi
    breeZrizi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    tried the packets the other day

LOVE THEM

they taste so much better than splenda
  • CaptChad75
    Options
    We use stevia pretty regularly. Especially when we cook or bake for the kids. If you use Stevia in the raw (found in every grocery store in the sugar isle) it is easy because it is is one for one replacement for sugar. You have to be careful on all the stevias because some of them are GMO (genetically modified)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I've only used the granulated/powder kind, not the liquid. I like it. :drinker: