EXTREMELY ANNOYED

Options
Just need to rant....

My husband who isn't even TRYING to lose weight, lost 9 pounds in a WEEK. He doesn't count his calories and he doesn't exercise. (in fact, I always give him a hard time for not logging onto MFP regularly) I count and log every last ounce of food that goes into my mouth and workout like crazy and it has taken me a month to lose 10 lbs. WTF?!

Although I am proud of both of us for losing weight, I find this very disheartening.

Replies

• klybarger
    klybarger Posts: 214
    Options
    Just need to rant....

My husband who isn't even TRYING to lose weight, lost 9 pounds in a WEEK. He doesn't count his calories and he doesn't exercise. (in fact, I always give him a hard time for not logging onto MFP regularly) I count and log every last ounce of food that goes into my mouth and workout like crazy and it has taken me a month to lose 10 lbs. WTF?!

Although I am proud of both of us for losing weight, I find this very disheartening.

Yes but we'll see who meets goal and keeps it off! :)
  • fooja
    fooja Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    go figure!!!!! it seems that guys lose weight quicker/more easily sometimes in my opinion. and it may be cuz its just the first 10 lbs or so, he may have a harder time in the future. sorry to hear that!! keep up the good work, and congrats on the 10lbs lost!!
  • Panda8Angel8Faith
    Panda8Angel8Faith Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I share your aggrivation. My husband does the same thing. i think a large part of this is the fact that the woman's body is so much more different than a man's, but that is just my theory. Another point would be to remember that you are trying to learn a different lifestyle and eventually, he will also. You are trying to become more healthy and that might just be rubbing off on him
    Aside from that, I think you are doing a great job!
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    I hear ya, my husband only weighs 170pds, and eats constantly!!!!! Here I am eating a grapefruit, and hes over there shoving oreos in his mouth, this is after eating a whole pizza, or steak, or whatever. Totally frustrating!!!!
  • racermom
    Options
    Feel your pain! DO NOT COMPARE YOURSELF TO HIM!!!! Revel in your own success. Men's metabolisms are just different than ours. I have been on a 8 month weight loss journey. 49 pounds to date. MY HUBBY; on the other hand; started Atkins 6 weeks ago and has already lost 22 pounds! I TOTALLY get your frustration, however you are doing a GREAT JOB to have lost 10 pounds in one month. My last 30 days have only been a meager 1.5 pounds. Stick to it, you will both be happier and look amazing! Congrats on your success! :flowerforyou:
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    Just need to rant....

Yah same thing with my boyfriend! He's not even trying at all and he just lost it. NOT FAIR
  • dogmeat
    dogmeat Posts: 83
    Options
    Well, if its any consolation, his 9lbs didn't come from fat tissue. No one loses 9lbs of fat in a week.

Even small changes in diet (intentional or unintentional) and some other occurrences can produce huge differences on the scale, more so for us males than females.

When I switch from eating like an idiot (normal mode) to being sort of semi-concious about what kind of crap I eat, I usually drop 5-10lbs during the first week. This is likely a result of water weight loss due to decreased sodium content.

Real, proper fat loss takes more time, and, for some, effort.

I'm the laziest person I know, and I rather skip a piece of chocolate cake at work than try to figure out how to mark it down. It's much easier to mark down a banana than a home made baked goody, so I'll just go with the damn banana. Like most men I know, I don't have cravings for anything, so the whole process of losing weight CAN be easier for us.
  • bkeeldo
    bkeeldo Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    10 pounds in a month is great! You can't compare yourself to your husband or to anyone else for that matter. Everyone has different metabolisms and different daily schedules (which can throw off workout times or how long you work out for). I would love to lose 10 pounds in a month but I know that it isn't going to happen. Nice job again on 10 pounds!
  • DaveyGravy
    DaveyGravy Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'll have you know some of us men have to work very hard for their weight loss!! ;)
  • sdirks
    sdirks Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Just need to rant....

Yah same thing with my boyfriend! He's not even trying at all and he just lost it. NOT FAIR

Same for me! I've lost 16lbs so far. My fiancee started a month after me, doesn't count calories, and is down 35lbs+.:angry:

Unfortunately, that's just the way it is. Women's bodies try to maintain a layer of fat in the midsection to protect our ovaries--and our children, should we get pregnant. Men can lose absolutely unfair amounts of weight thanks to that stupid hunter/gatherer metabolism. Just remember that a couple of those pesky "un-lose-able pounds" are on your chest and hips--the parts men love the most! That always helps me get over myself. :happy:
  • bambi5014
    Options
    Thanks all! I appreciate the comments. And actually, he has lost 13 pounds total. 4 of which he lost last week. I know the weight comes off fast at first, especially that water weight, but still! GRRRRR. He is an entire foot taller than me (I am 5'2" and he is 6'2") and his BMI is at 38% and mine is still stuck at 40%... that may have something to do with it also. He is eating healthier and has switched to drinking diet sodas, rather than regular, and us as a whole... our entire family, is eating healthier as a result. I am cooking meals with turkey, chicken, and pork, rather than heavy red meats and fats. SO, I shouldn't say he isn't doing anything at all, even still he doesn't exercise and sits on his behind most of the day. I am proud of both of us and if anything, this just makes me work even harder and be more competitive, which is a good thing.
  • DaveyGravy
    Options
    Sounds like you are becoming a very healthy family, always great to see! As long as each of you are losing your excess weight, it doesn't need to be a competition or anything.
  • sdirks
    sdirks Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Good for you, Bambi! Whatever keeps you motivated.

And you're right. It's a lifestyle change. When one family member says, "I think I want pizza tonight," it takes a whole chorus of "no you don't!" and "it's so bad for you!" to sway them--and hopefully help them find a healthy and tasty alternative.

Changing your eating habits is so much easier when you do it together! MFP isn't going to give me a dirty look when it catches me standing in front of the open freezer with a spoon in my hand.
  • princessmevq20
    Options
    MAAM WHOS MS ANGTRY PANTS LIKE ONE OF THE POSTS SAYS LETS SEE WHO GETS OFF AND KEEPS IT OFF AND THE WAY OUR BOYS EAT N DRINK THEYLL PUT IT RIGHT BACK ON IN ONE NIGHT OUT....#1203 MAKES ME SICK HIS DATS HIS UNIFORM AND ALL HIS CLOTHES ALWAYS FIT HIM AND THE SAME AND HERE WE ARE HAVING TO BUY SUMTHNG ALL DA TO TIME WE GO OUT./...WHO CARES DONT LOOK AT IT AS BEING ANNOYED LOOK AT YOU LOSING WEIGHT AND YOUR ANNOYING HIM LOL
  • melanieann48111
    Options
    Just need to rant....

My husband lost 9 pounds in 2 weeks using MFP....we started the same time and I have lost 3. He is no where near as strict as I am about calorie counting AND he doesn't drink a DROP of water. MEN!
  • DaveyGravy
    Options

My husband lost 9 pounds in 2 weeks using MFP....we started the same time and I have lost 3. He is no where near as strict as I am about calorie counting AND he doesn't drink a DROP of water. MEN!

Is your husband larger than you? Does he have a manual job? Do more exercise? There's lots of factors that could make him lose weight faster than just being a man. Seems around here people think it's easy for men to just lose weight. It really is not.

Especially as i'm getting closer to my goal it's becoming so difficult to lose anything! Maybe it'll happen to him too ;)
  • melanieann48111
    Options

Is your husband larger than you? Does he have a manual job? Do more exercise? There's lots of factors that could make him lose weight faster than just being a man. Seems around here people think it's easy for men to just lose weight. It really is not.

Especially as i'm getting closer to my goal it's becoming so difficult to lose anything! Maybe it'll happen to him too ;)

Hubs is 6'0 and 215 lbs...I'm 5'3" and 153 lbs. He sits at a desk or behind th ewheel of a car most days. He doesn't exercise unless I do. :) He even admits that it's much easier for him to lose than me. It's a gift, I guess. It just seems easier for you guys...most of the time we women are just poking fun. We love you guys! But women do seem to hold on to body fat longer than men.
  • DaveyGravy
    Options
    Hehe maybe it IS a gift! I found the first 50-60lbs fairly easy to lose but then the next 50 took a load more effort and a far stricter fitness and food regime! Everybody is different i suppose, he might never find it hard! Good luck, and I hope that you catch him up!! ;-)
  • katenyc112
    Options
    it's not a theory. men do usually lose weight faster. a womans body has more fat than a mans. it's rly annoying and it's the same thing with my parents. My mom would diet for 3 months and lose maybe a pound and my dad would diet for 2 weeks and lose 10.
  • DaveyGravy
    Options
    Yeah I was losing rapidly at first, then had to fight for and earn every lb I lost for the last 50 or so lbs. It gets tougher for men after a while!