Lunchtime running with no shower!

Options
BerryH
BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
Hi running buddies. Though I'm fairly hardy with running outdoors in the cold, dark or bad weather, any two or more sends me scuttling indoors! Until now I've been turning to the gym "dreadmill" to keep the miles coming when the worst hits, but I've just resigned my membership as it's too expensive.

The park near me isn't open until sun-up and the pavements are poorly lit and very uneven - I've nearly come a cropper more than once. The ideal solution for me would be to run from the office at lunchtime. There's a lovely route down by the Thames, it's a bit warmer than morning or evenings and, most importantly, it's not pitch dark.

The only problem is I work in a primitive Victorian office, the likes of which haven't been seen since Scrooge and Marley Ltd. We don't have a fridge or a kettle, let alone a shower!

How gross would it be if I did a half-hour run and cleaned up with baby wipes and deodorant? Have any of you had to do similar? Did you lose any friends?

Inquiring minds need to know! Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Sounds like that's everyone else's problem.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Depends on how sweaty you get.

After my run yesterday, my ponytail was dripping down the back of my neck. And it was pretty chilly, about 35F. I'm just gross like that, so it wouldn't be an option for me. I'm destroyed after a run.

:sad: <-- That's sweat and heavy breathing, not tears and crying.
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I used to do this- in my old job a couple of us used to walk around the race course (I was a lot less fit then, and more overweight) and I would come back bright red and covered in sweat. I used to keep a small hand towel, some wet wipes and deoderant at work. I never thought that I smelled and no one ever complained about the fact that I wasn't showering after the walk.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time since my only time to exercise is lunch time.
  • Jessies_journey
    Jessies_journey Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    That's me almost every day. I change completely - I use lots of wipes, deodorant, body spray and a hair dryer to get my hair back to semi-normal. :) It's my only time to do it and really don't care that I look pretty before lunch - and not so much after lunch. My co-workers are used to it by now so no wierd looks :)
  • BerryH
    Options
    I do tend to go bright purple and hair-drippy, whatever the weather (I've been known to develop haircicles), but I don't think I'll smell too bad if I manage to wipe down and deodorise my stinkiest bits - I've survived two weeks camping with less!

So as long as my colleagues can put up with my "glow" and a bit of afternoon fan-hogging I'm good to go.

Thanks everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I've done that before. It's only really bad in the summertime. When the weather is cooler you shouldn't sweat too much at all.
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I do this every day, since my lunch hour is the most convenient time for me to work out. Works for me!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Google "fresh bath". They are wipes that are intended to simulate a shower and big enough to use on your whole body once. Just use them as you're changing clothes. They sell them at outdoor recreational sports stores (REI, EMS, etc)

These were life-savers (or more like dignity-savers?) for me hiking for a week in Iceland with no showers available.

Edit: I also make sure to put on extra deodorant right before my run and it seems to help
  • amytag
    amytag Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I've found that those showering wipes do help out quite a bit, along with the spray-on hair refresher (I use Dry Clean Only by Sebastian). I'm not a heavy sweater in temps below 60, plus I run/jog in a tshirt and cropped leggings, so it takes me a while to actually warm up. I'll be doing this more often myself now that it's dark by the time I get home. I hate treadmills, but my normal running route is a gravel and dirt trail and running in the dark would be hazardous for my clumsy self.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I WANT to say go for it...I really, really do. But my boss goes for a walk/jog for 30-60 minutes during her lunch hour, and then she sits in meetings with the rest of us. It is unbearable. And we can't say a thing b/c a) she's losing so much weight, and we're proud of her! b) she's our boss. Her hygiene is not a conversation topic.

Just...if you do, be careful. Be SURE you're not overwhelming others in a small space. Hope you find something that works!!
  • BerryH
    Options
    Ooh thanks, hadn't heard of those Fresh Bath wipes before secretlobster. They sell those and similar Nathan Power Shower wipes at adventure shops. I shall try and report back!

Good call about the hair refresher amytag, I do have dry shampoo I seldom use I could keep in my drawer.

I'd hope I don't offend like your boss, soehlerking, I do have the kind of good friends at work I can ask if I smell and get an honest response!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I've done that before. It's only really bad in the summertime. When the weather is cooler you shouldn't sweat too much at all.

This, unless you choose to run a tempo or something at lunch. An easy effort run when it's below 50 should have you barely breaking a sweat.
  • Dragonfly1996
    Dragonfly1996 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    A very well written entertaining post as usual BH!!! I think you could get away with this during the winter. There must be some wash wipes you could purchase that may work better than baby wipes. I would look at somewhere like Cotswolds or Blacks as something like this would be available for trekking trip where showering isn't an option. Good deodorant & a nice body spray, touch up the make up & hair up (or straighteners) should have you looking fab (& glowing) again!!! I say go for it & see how you get on!!! Don't forget to update us - good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I was wondering this too. We have a shower, I just don't want to use it though. It's icky. Ickier than not showering, trust me.
  • secretlobster
    Options
    Ooh thanks, hadn't heard of those Fresh Bath wipes before secretlobster. They sell those and similar Nathan Power Shower wipes at adventure shops. I shall try and report back!

They work REALLY well, have a neutral scent, and don't leave you feeling sticky like baby wipes or moisturizing wipes. I'm actually going to pick some up so I can start running on my lunch breaks myself. Love the idea for hair refresher too! Gotta try that!
  • Cathleen77
    Cathleen77 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I go to spin class every noon hour, and I always come back to work without showering. I just clean myself off with babywipes, change my clothes and fix my hair, and I'm good to go!! Do it!! Who really cares. Those that do, are the ones who probably envy you for having the discipline to go to the gym :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I don't have the luxury of a shower at the office and haven't lost any clients as a result of riding my bike to work, fortunately I have a discrete place to hang my riding gear to dry out before the ride home......I bring a hand towel and do a quick wipe down and deodorant application, so far so good.

So, do you have to bring your own coal in winter?
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Bring a wash rag and a small towel with you and do a wash-up in the ladies room sink. We do have a shower in my building but it didn't work for a while so I did a washup in the sink. It worked fine!
  • secretlobster
    Options
    Who really cares. Those that do, are the ones who probably envy you for having the discipline to go to the gym :)

I'm pretty sure smelling someone's BO in a meeting doesn't mean you're envious of them