Replies

• lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Soy Misto!!!...with a little sprinkle of cinnamon:drinker:
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    They offer a skinny version of the Peppermint Mocha. 100 cals in a tall, 130 in a grande.

It's marvelous.
  • TuesdayLucero
    TuesdayLucero Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am a Starbucks junkie, but am also trying to loose weight. My favorite alternative is the Iced Coffee with a few pumps of the Gingerbread syrup, and then I add 3 Tbsp fat free half and half when I get to work, and a packet of Splenda/Equal. This tastes similar to an Iced Latte, but with half the calories, coming out to 110 calories.
  • Similar to many of you - nonfat cafe misto with one pump of pumpkin sauce. Or I make it at home with pumpkin flavored coffee- heat up either skim milk or almond milk and use my little milk frother to froth the milk and add to the coffee with some sweetener - sprinkle with some pumpkin pie spice!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    You can get any frappachino as a light coffee version and have them put one pump of flavor in it (only adds 33 calories).

You can also do the same with iced or regular hot coffee...
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Peppermint Mocha at home: 8 oz strong coffee, 1 Tbs unsweetened cocoa powder, 1-2 packets of Stevia or other sweetener, 1/3 cup skim milk or light soy milk, and 1 Tsp peppermint extract. This is also very good iced or blended with ice!

Sub the peppermint extract for vanilla extract and sub the skim milk for coconut milk for a tasty coconut mocha.

Each of these has about 50-60 calories depending on brand/type of milk

YUM!!!
  • HarleyQuinn_12
    HarleyQuinn_12 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    They offer a skinny version of the Peppermint Mocha. 100 cals in a tall, 130 in a grande.

It's marvelous.

ABSOLUTELY!!!
  • ccburn5
    ccburn5 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Just a tip from a former Starbucks employee, espresso actually has LESS caffeine then drip coffee. For the biggest caffeine jolt pick the lightest roast drip coffee. The longer the bean is roasted the more of the oils/caffeine to leech out. A lot of people assume the stronger the taste the strong the caffeine but it's actually the opposite :)

My fav coffee right now is a venti pike roast misto with 1 pump pumpkin spice and 1 pump white mocha!!

Really?!?! I have been a daily iced venti cafe americano for the last 6-7 months and assumed it was the other way around. That and with just a splash of half/half, its only about 40 calories or so. Thanks for sharing.
  • pitapocket
    pitapocket Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Copy cat recipes for seasonal drinks

Gingerbread Latte

Gingerbread Syrup
    2 cups water
    1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
    2 teaspoons ground ginger
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup fresh espresso
    8 ounces milk, steamed (with a little foam)

Garnish
    whipped cream
    ground nutmeg

Directions

1. Make the gingerbread syrup by combining the water, sugar, ginger, cinnamon, and vanilla in a medium saucepan. Be sure the pan is not too small or the mixture could easily bubble over.

2. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer the syrup uncovered for 15 minutes. Remove the syrup from the heat when it's done and slap a lid on it.

3. Make a double shot of espresso (1/2 cup) using an espresso machine. Use the machine to steam 8 ounces of milk, or heat up the milk in the microwave if your machine does not foam and steam milk.

4. Make your latte by first adding 1/2 cup espresso to a 16-ounce cup. Add 1/4 cup gingerbread syrup, followed by the steamed milk. Stir.

5. Top off the drink with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of nutmeg.

Makes 1 grande latte (16 ounces).

Pumpkin Spice Latte Recipe
    Ingredients:
    milk
    espresso
    Starbucks pumpkin spice syrup (recipe below)
    Directions:
    1. Add pumpkin spice syrup to the bottom of your mug.
    2. Steam your milk. Pour a little milk into your mug and stir to combine with syrup.
    3. Pull a shot or two (depending) and immediately add to your milk/syrup.
    4. Top with the rest of your steamed milk and froth. Stir together

Pumpkin Spice Syrup

Ingredients:
    1 1/2 cups water
    1 1/2 cups superfine sugar
    4 cinnamon sticks
    1/2 tsp ground cloves
    1/2 tsp ground ginger
    1 tsp ground nutmeg
    2 tablespoons pumpkin puree

Combine the water and sugar in a saucepan.
    Simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves.
    Add the spices and the pumpkin and continue to simmer for about 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Do not boil.
    Remove from heat and strain the syrup through cheesecloth, tea towel, or strainer. Depending on the type of strainer you use, you may need to strain the syrup twice.
    Allow the syrup to cool, then refrigerate the syrup in a tightly closed jar for up to a month.
  • LCBinGA
    LCBinGA Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Love this thread! Thanks for making it! Thanks for adding your fantastic tips to it!

I've turned to skipping the flavored creamers (usually high in calories) using the Vanilla Almond Milk, and you can use 1/2 cup for 45 calories!

Get an old salt/pepper shaker, put in 1 park granulated sugar (or substitute) and 2 parts powdered coco. Also try one with 1 part cinnimon, 1 part nutmeg, 1 part pumpkin spice. Another yum is granulated sugar or substitute and adding a little vanilla. with a fork mix it all in. Now you have vanilla sugar (need to be kept in zippy bag or sugar bowl doesn't work in shaker form (also good on tea).

Have you ever taken a peep (marshmellow formed goodness) and placed it in your mug and then pouring the coffee over it! whaaaa-laaa instant fun and treat!!

HOLIDAY RED CUPS are out at STARBUCK'S -- -- makes the experience all the better :bigsmile: cheers peeps!
  • Meikmeika
    Meikmeika Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I used to be an addict but stopped a couple years back. My usuals were soy latte/misto/cappucino or the iced versions. Most times when I order with syrup they're too sweet.

But I'm really interested in trying a pumpkin latte...
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Great thread...love Starbucks and have tried some of the calorie saving methods in-store and cost saving methods at home as well. Some great tips, thank you!!