• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I bet that guy was full of win

lol!
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I was talking to a personal trainer about strong lifts. He hadn't heard of it before but was talking to me about functional training. Does anyone know anything about that??? What is the difference?

One of the most well known and respected programs and he hasn't heard of it. Special!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I want whatever is going to burn fat more efficiently and whatever is going to allow me to do it by myself, as I can't afford a trainer 3 a week. Basically, I just need someone to tell me - this is what you need to do, and I'll do it. My hope was that I could pay for a trainer a few times to get the form down and learn how to do things properly, and then go on my own. Is this realistic? I basically know zilch about strength training. I do a lot of cardio, but know that I need to start incorporating weights, i just truly have no clue how to go about it.

Strong Lifts is a good canned (that's not a duragotry term) work out program and you won't go wrong there.

You can also go get "New Rules for Lifting (for Women)" at the library. I don't agree with some of his takes on cardio. BUT, if you're trying to find your way around a weight room. It's a good starting place.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

:wink:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I want whatever is going to burn fat more efficiently and whatever is going to allow me to do it by myself, as I can't afford a trainer 3 a week. Basically, I just need someone to tell me - this is what you need to do, and I'll do it. My hope was that I could pay for a trainer a few times to get the form down and learn how to do things properly, and then go on my own. Is this realistic?

This is a little unrealistic, only because trainers do *not* want to teach you how to *not* use them. They have more job security if they just tell you what to do and watch you do it. If they taught you a plan that allowed you to stop using them, that's bad for their employment prospects, huh?

The Strong Lifts program has a free iPhone app and it is very easy to gather info on MFP boards from friendly people who are willing to help. That's what I did when I wanted to begin lifting. There's no reason you have to use a trainer, and in my experience, they are tight-lipped when it comes to actually teaching you how to be independant from them.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I want whatever is going to burn fat more efficiently and whatever is going to allow me to do it by myself, as I can't afford a trainer 3 a week. Basically, I just need someone to tell me - this is what you need to do, and I'll do it. My hope was that I could pay for a trainer a few times to get the form down and learn how to do things properly, and then go on my own. Is this realistic? I basically know zilch about strength training. I do a lot of cardio, but know that I need to start incorporating weights, i just truly have no clue how to go about it.

Strong Lifts is a good canned (that's not a duragotry term) work out program and you won't go wrong there.

You can also go get "New Rules for Lifting (for Women)" at the library. I don't agree with some of his takes on cardio. BUT, if you're trying to find your way around a weight room. It's a good starting place.

There is also a lot of great information in that book. I recently finished reading it. I also do not entirely agree with him on cardio and will not be taking the diet advice either. But I learned a lot from it about weight training.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    My strength traing has helped me become more functional in life.

WTf is functional training, grocery bag squats? Tupperware OHP?

You know what? I noticed this myself just yesterday when I came home with the groceries. Also, this was discussed in New Rules of Lifting for Women. The author talked about how strength training is beneficial to everyday life and how we should choose exercise that improves our lives, not just to get big biceps or whatever.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Be clear from the start of what you want. If you want them to teach you a program then you need to tell them that. Some trainers like to constantly mix it up. They'll be looking to give you a balanced work out but make it different each time. This will make it difficult for you to follow. Instead after they get you going, set up a once a month appt. with them. That way they have the incentive that you'll keep coming back. After a couple months you probably won't need them or you can change it to a 3 month check in or something.

The most important thing is to be clear of what you want. FWIW the trainers in my gym don't know what strong lifts is either and it's very disappointing.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Not sure what he was full of, but he always seemed determined.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    So this determined guy...is he full of win now because of his own accord, or did someone push him to his new heights?