Jumping Jacks

Options
This might not seem like much to many of you, but for me, it's a lot! I am lazy. I hate exercise and I hate manual labor. I work at a desk all day long, and commute 3 hours a day. And I'm enrolled in school, four classes. I'm on my butt, a lot. But I KNOW that my body needs activity and more than just walking to and from the car. Problem is I have so little spare time, and when I do, I'm exhausted. I recently got back on track with my eating habits and logging my food, and I want to have some exercise too. I know that it makes me feel better and is good all the way around. I've been thinking of what I could do that I could fit into my daily schedule, without eating up the little free time I do have (did I mention I'm also a soccer mom?). So I had the idea to start doing jumping jacks whenever I go to the bathroom at work. It didn't seem like much at first, I could only do about 10 at a time. But I started up a "Jumping Jack Competition" with my fellow workers, there are three of us. There's no prize for winning, just the motivation :) It has helped a LOT! I started out barely getting 50 a day though, cause I was out of shape. Now I am up to doing 40-50 each bathroom trip ( I use the handicap stall and do them in there, lol)

I guess my point is that I am happy for myself that despite my lazy tendencies, and my limited time, I've found a way to get some physical activity in. I feel so much better during the day! Instead of feeling so tired and fatigued during the day, now I feel energized and am able to make it through without nodding off at my desk. I did 300 last Friday!!! I couldn't have imagined myself doing 300 jumping jacks in one day a month ago.

I'm not sure really how many calories I am burning, but I know that doing this is better than what i was doing before - nothing! Maybe this will motivate someone who is trying to figure out how to fit some extra activity into their day. And I'm also open for any more creative ideas that I can get to find ways to increase my activity.

Replies

• geekpryncess
    geekpryncess Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    *the funny thing about doing this is, it's totally caused me to re-evaluate how I dress for work - no more heals! I learned that during the first couple of weeks. Wearing heels makes it hard for me to do my jumping jacks, and I don't want to take my shoes off in the bathroom. So, I put my vanity aside (I love wearing heals, they make me feel sexy!) and told myself it's a small sacrifice, because in the long run I will be even sexier when I am 60 lbs lighter!!
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Do what you gotta do but the important thing is to do it. Have you considered upping the intensity? Pushups, pullups, squats, lunges? Lots of body weight exercises can be done with little to no equipment. If your doing 50 jumping jacks at a time your probably ready to do something more.

Don't underestimate the value of walking. Walk on your breaks and your lunches if you can.
  • Beth24793
    Beth24793 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat,Ii feel like I have no motivation to exercise.. maybe I should try your technique :))

Feel free to add me too :D
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Wait - you're not using the "I don't have time" excuse to simply not do anything? :bigsmile:

I used to be in the same sort of boat - so I made sure I parked in the furthest parking spot I could find, just to add a little more walking to my day. Also, if there are multiple restrooms you can use, use the ones that are furthest away and/or upstairs and use those.

Also - like T1mH mentioned - try some different exercises, such as the occasional set of pushups or squats or some other bodyweight exercise.
  • geekpryncess
    Options
    I do some wall pushups sometimes too, and I'm going to look for my resistance band and find some things I can do with it. As far as walking, that is what I used to do for exercise on my last weight loss journey, but my schedule now doesn't allow much time for it. Since I go to school on Tues and Thursday, I work a short day with no lunch. So to try to make up my time as much as possible, on M-W-F I only take a 15m lunch. By the time I get home it's dark out. Saturday and Sunday it's errands, grocery shopping, cleaning house, laundry, spend time with my son, and homework. So little time to just devote straight to exercise only. If I exercise, I have to make it happen in such a way that I am killing two birds with one stone. Effective use of my time! I do have a Gazelle at home and on the rare occasion that I actually watch tv, I try to do 10-15mins on it. But I like to actually be sitting on the couch with my son too, because that's about the only one on one time we get. We did take short walks when it was warmer and light outside, but that's not possible now, it's around 7:30pm when I get home on M-W-F. and 9:30 on T-Th.
  • apnovack
    Options
    You go girl! Love the honesty and the progress you've made!

I'm motiviated to do a few jumping jacks in the bathroom :bigsmile:
  • geekpryncess
    Options
    My hope is to soon have the energy, willpower, and motivation to do at least a 30m workout on Saturday and Sunday, my off days. I'm not there yet, but I think I will be soon. I have to find something that is fun, and sustainable for me.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest wall pushups. You can increase intensity gradually by placing your feet farther from the wall.

Also try doing the "invisible chair" with your back against the wall.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Thats fantastic. and your motivating others

Another one, when you're waiting for the microwave/ kettle
    stand on one leg with your eyes closed- good for core/ balance/ propreoception

or one legged squats.
    or bench pushps.

Everone at work thinks i'm a bit nuts (well actually alot)

but they've all seen me lose stacks of weight.
  • geekpryncess
    Options
    Oh yea! I forgot about that...I do arm circles when I'm waiting for the microwave. I do 10 small both ways (front and backward) and then 10 large. (so 40 total) The sitting invisible chair is a good idea that I hadn't thought of. I will try that one later today!