How do I split up my calories for meals?

Options
MFP set my goals to 1200 kcal and 165 g of carbs a day - Well, I hardly do anything so that seems alright.

But I'm having a really hard time staying within the goal (especially considering the carbs) without being hungry all the time.

I get up at 5 AM, then arrive at work around 7 AM and have my first meal - Oatmeal (I need to be full for a long time)

I eat an apple or a (half) cucumber at around 1:30 PM (not that many calories, not many carbs)

Then I eat my "warm" meal at around 5 PM when I get home (usually rice with vegetables and maybe a sauce)

(On weekends it's the same breakfast, then my rice-vegetable-meal as lunch and either vegetables, fruit or a salad for dinner.)

That's basically it, I hardly snack anymore but I still can't stay under my goals! And even now I'm hungry between breakfast and lunch and especially between lunch and dinner - And don't get me started on the evenings when I stay up late! It's horrible.

-> How do you split your calories for the day? Am I supposed to be hungry that much? :(

(Oh and I'm actually losing weight. It's a really, really slow process - About 0.5 lb via week - but I'm losing. It just doesn't really make me feel better. :P)

Replies

• sillybeachgirl
    Options
    You should probably eat a little more, try the 1lb/week you shouldn't be hungry all the time. Also try and choose foods that will keep you fuller longer...whole grains and dairy/nuts, and load up on vegetables. I get hungry a lot too, and so I know what you mean, I started bringing snacks that are low in calorie but still filling. Celery and natural peanuts butter, light cheese, lot's of vegetables, I made a soup with a ton of vegetables and then blended it so it's dense but still very low in calories. Google foods to keep you fuller longer. Also fitness magazines give lot's of good tips on what foods to eat to that is filling, Women's Health is my favorite. Also as you eat less, you won't need to eat as much as the weeks go by. But also talk to your doctor, they know best :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Only an apple or half a cucumber for lunch? You need some protein! More protein will help carry you through the day.

Also, are you exercising? Do you eat back calories burned through exercise? It may also be that 1200 calories just isn't enough. I tried it for awhile and it was too low for me.

For what it's worth, I'm set at 1800 calories a day (I'm 44, 5'8", about 137lbs) and the fat is coming off. Sometimes I go over 1800, sometimes I'm under, but I always net at least my BMR, which is around 1400.

Check out this topic - very helpful information there: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    i eat ~1200 calories per day but i feel like i am constantly eating

perhaps your portions are too large?
    if some oatmeal, a cucumber, and some veggies with rice are eating up 1200 calories, then your portions must be really big?

i try to eat protein in the morning to fill me up for longer (a protein shake, some greek yogurt, etc.)
    i bring some low cal snacks like grapes or cucumbers or other fruit and veggies
    but also some snacks with real substance - peanut butter, almonds, etc.

I post a lot of my low-cal snack ideas on my food blog here: symphonyofeats.tumblr.com
    if you want some SUPER simple ideas, you can check it out.

Other things I eat are higher calorie but i
    (a) make as much as I can from scratch so that I can control how many "extra" calories go into it (oils, whole fat milk, etc can be replaced with lower calorie alternatives if you are making things yourself)
    and (b) control my portion sizes. If i know I want to leave 400 calories for dinner and I choose something bad at lunch (I'll use pizza as an example), I will make sure I am still under 800 after I eat my pizza - if that means only eating one piece and then snacking on some almonds instead of eating a second piece, then so be it!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I live on 1350 for maintenance without eating exercise back. My day is usually a 35 calorie low fat yogurt about 7 am, 2 crustless quiches ( really 2 eggs) at about 9 am for 145 calories, an apple about 10:30, crap in a box (Lean Cuisine, etc) at noon for under 300, 2 cups almond milk blended with ice and a shot of chocolate around 4 pm, 3 oz of lean meat and tons of veggies about 6 pm, a cup or two of grapes or another almond milk blend around 9 pm.

The food you listed is definitely lacking in protein which really helps to keep you satiated. If I have oatmeal for breakfast I'm hungry in an hour.
  • carlydevi
    carlydevi Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot! I guess I'll add protein and eat smaller portions. Maybe my portions are really huge, I just never noticed it before. :/
  • Tamisha15
    Tamisha15 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this weight loss thing so I am no expert but I have learned alot so far in regards to the science of dieting or having a lifestyle change. I hope you don't mind but I peeped at your diary and it looks like you almost eat the same things everyday. You may wanna try changing it up and added a variety of other fruits and veggies. Also, there are lots of other options out there besides oatmeal (which I can't stand, eeww).

Hopefully, you and your body will feel a lot better with a little change.
  • muamontreal
    muamontreal Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Only an apple or half a cucumber for lunch? You need some protein! More protein will help carry you through the day.

Also, are you exercising? Do you eat back calories burned through exercise? It may also be that 1200 calories just isn't enough. I tried it for awhile and it was too low for me.

For what it's worth, I'm set at 1800 calories a day (I'm 44, 5'8", about 137lbs) and the fat is coming off. Sometimes I go over 1800, sometimes I'm under, but I always net at least my BMR, which is around 1400.

Check out this topic - very helpful information there: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

THIS !

I am 38 , 5'4 , I exercise 5 times a week (30 min only) and I am allowed 1500 without counting my work out calories .... Just check the roadmap, it's so usefull ! I loose 1 lbs a week ....

Hope this help !

xxx
  • gemmalouise85
    gemmalouise85 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Me personally not saying i'm right/wrong etc
    I worked out that in mornig im that busy im not tha hungry so I have a yogurt/fruit quite low cal (100-200)
    Then at lunch i'm pickish but not 'hungry' so have a salad or cereal just to satisy me (200-300 cals)
    then for tea i usually have around 500-600
    or more depending if I wanna leave few extra for snacks etc
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    It seems like you're eating so little so I don't understand how you're not staying below 1,200 cals. If bfast is oatmeal, that's around 150 cals max? Then an apple or half cucumber, that's about 80 calories or less. So is your dinner 1,000 calories? Doesn't make sense to me.

I am on 1400 cals. I usually do:
    Breakfast: Low Sugar oatmeal and coffee - 140 cals
    Snack: Medium banana - 110
    Lunch: Mostly protein and veggies, some fruit and other carbs - 300 to 350
    Snack: Greek yogurt and sometimes a fiber one bar - 280
    Dinner: Lean meat and veggies - 400

That brings me to 1280, and then I'll have a snack after dinner if still hungry, or sometimes I'll have a bigger breakfast.

If you focus on getting lots of protein and veggies, you'll find that you can eat a lot more and keep hunger away while still staying under your cals.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand how that is adding up to 1200 cals.

I eat oatmeal in the morning and it's never over 300 cals, and that's a good portion. Cucumber and veggies are very low in cals and an apple is 100 at most, so that must mean you are eating a huge amount of rice?

Either way there's no protein in your diet which is known to be filling, and there's no need to only eat half a cucumber or an apple for lunch, I'd be nibbling my own fingers by dinnertime.

Why don't you try making soups? Homemade soups can be very filling and very low in cals.

I also think you should look up your TDEE and work at 20% below that. You have to think; this needs to be a lifestyle change, not a diet. If you are struggling now, you won't stick to this for the rest of your life.
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Usually 3 meals-300 calories each
    3 snacks-100 calories each
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    im happy for you to see my diary its open. it suits me i feel fine im fitter than ive been for years.
  • dahkneeka
    dahkneeka Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I used to be always hungry too.

In my opinion, 1200 cals is pretty low. If you calculate your BMR & TDEE.. eat no less then your BMR and about 15% less then your TDEE. You can find some online calculators.

Your BMR is how many calories your body burns if you stay in bed and dont move. It's what your organs need to function well. Your TDEE is how many calories you burn doing your regular daily activity. Finding a balance somewhere between should keep the hunger away. I dont know your stats, but can almost guanratee you will have many more calories to play with.

When I am hungry, I always opt for something warm. Tea usually helps (must be tricking the mind)

Also, make sure you are getting lots of liquids (water mostly)
  • committowalk
    committowalk Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    If you want to be able to eat more, try adding exercise. That allows you to consume more calories and still stay at the same net intake. MFP gives me 1500 calories but I usually go over by 100-250, so I just make sure I get in a walk 5 days a week and use my elliptical 3x a week. That keeps me at my weekly goal.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    MFP set my goals to 1200 kcal and 165 g of carbs a day - Well, I hardly do anything so that seems alright.

But I'm having a really hard time staying within the goal (especially considering the carbs) without being hungry all the time.

I get up at 5 AM, then arrive at work around 7 AM and have my first meal - Oatmeal (I need to be full for a long time)

I eat an apple or a (half) cucumber at around 1:30 PM (not that many calories, not many carbs)

Then I eat my "warm" meal at around 5 PM when I get home (usually rice with vegetables and maybe a sauce)

(On weekends it's the same breakfast, then my rice-vegetable-meal as lunch and either vegetables, fruit or a salad for dinner.)

That's basically it, I hardly snack anymore but I still can't stay under my goals! And even now I'm hungry between breakfast and lunch and especially between lunch and dinner - And don't get me started on the evenings when I stay up late! It's horrible.

-> How do you split your calories for the day? Am I supposed to be hungry that much? :(

(Oh and I'm actually losing weight. It's a really, really slow process - About 0.5 lb via week - but I'm losing. It just doesn't really make me feel better. :P)

No one here can tell you how many calories to eat or when, but you can just keep experimenting and see what works for you. I know for me I had to feel some hunger to lose weight. For me it's all about a calorie budget. I had less of a budget available when I was losing weight, more to spend now that I'm maintaining and all the tools I used for weight loss come into play for the rest of my life maintaining.

When you have accumulated excess fat, you have accumulated a debt. It is hard to pay off the debt (you have less calories to spend). If you are sitting next to someone your same gender and height and they are not overweight and you are, they get to eat more than you (have more calories to spend) because they are debt free. You have less calories to spend because you are paying off your debt.

Being on a calorie deficit is hard. You can't do this journey on will power alone. You must set up your environment for success. Have a team around you in your real life, not just online. Get trigger foods out of the house. It will take some sacrifice and it's not easy. You might have to say no to some social events sometimes.

Too many changes at once can be hard on some people. I've always eaten healthy so it easy for me to simply eat less. Eating at a calorie deficit is hard on people; even a small deficit puts your body in a state of flux with hormones and such. Everyone is different. Some people can handle a deeper calorie deficit than others, this is not right or wrong, it just is. Stress in your life affects your hunger hormones; lack of sleep, fatigue, job stress, family stress, financial stress, etc. Add in emotional eating issues and it gets even more complicated. Most people can only handle so much change/stress at once, they try to do too much and fail. Sometimes it might be a better strategy to eat at maintenance and make some small changes first, it really depends on how much stress you are taking in at the moment.

There is no mystery to weight loss, everyone thinks something is wrong, their metabolism is broken, they have low thyroid, they have menopause or whatever issue, they are as unique as a snowflake, whatever. I thought a lot of these things once too but once the doctor helped resolve the health issues for me I learned there is still no magic pill. Most people eat more than they need to and are not at good at estimating calories as they think they are. Most people have a lower BMR than they think they do. The only way to know for sure is to go to a lab and have it tested. It doesn't seem fair to have to eat less and feel a little hunger. It's hard to face the truth of it, very hard. It's not fun. It's drudgery at times. But if you learn to enjoy your smaller amounts of food (necessary to lose weight, since the reason we got fat in the first place was eating too much whether we knew it or not), and rejoice in your victories it can be done.

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.

To say eat more is wrong.

To say eat less is wrong.

To find the exact calories needed for YOU to be in a healthy sustainable calorie deficit is the right answer. Wait, if you need to adjust by 100 do it, wait, adjust, wait, adjust, wait. The tortoise wins this race.

All that matters is calories. A healthy balanced diet within a calorie budget for a deficit that is right for YOU is all that matters for weight loss. Don't make it complicated.

Also people play mental accounting games with calories just like with finances. Make steps to make sure you are making accurate measurements. Packaged foods can have MORE than they say but not less (they get in trouble if less so they would rather error with MORE).

If you typically intake sodium at a certain rate your body adjusts, but if you make a sudden change then you will see a spike.

Exercise is for making your lean body mass pretty (especially lifting weights) for when the fat is gone. Losing fat with no muscle is ugly and cardio alone will not make you pretty. You cannot out exercise too many calories.
    What is the exact number of calories for you?

We’ve been trying to figure out an exact NUMBER of calories that everyone should be eating, without recognizing that everyone is slightly different. In truth, the calories aren’t the end game. Your body is. So the EXACT amount of Calories that are right for you is the EXACT amount that will allow you to maintain your ideal bodyweight no matter what some calculator or chart says.

In other words, an online calculator might tell you that you need to eat 2,500 calories
    per day to maintain your ideal bodyweight. But the only way to know for sure if this is
    the right amount for you is to test it out. If you gain weight or can’t lose weight eating
    that much, then you know you need to eat less to lose weight no matter how many
    calculators and text books say otherwise.

This doesn’t mean your metabolism is broken, it just means the estimate of your needs
    was just a bit off.

-John Barban (The Body Centric Calorie Guide from the Venus Index and Adonis Index Manuals)

The good thing is you don't have to worry about the starvation mode myth if you are fat. Only skinny people have to worry about starvation mode. It does not mean you have the capability to eat at a large calorie deficit if you have emotional eating disorders or other issues going on, but at least you don't have to be afraid of it anymore.

The Theory of Fat Availability:
    •There is a set amount of fat that can be released from a fat cell.
    •The more fat you have, the more fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •The less fat you have, the less fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •Towards the end of a transformation, when body fat is extremely low you
    may not have enough fat to handle a large caloric deficit anymore.

At the extreme low end, when your body fat cannot ‘keep up’ with the energy deficit
    you've imposed on your body, the energy MUST come from SOMEWHERE. This is
    when you are at risk of losing lean body mass during dieting (commonly referred to
    as ‘starvation mode’). This happens at extremely low levels of body fat, under 6% in
    men and 12% in women [Friedl K.E. J Appl Phsiol, 1994].

-Brad Pilon and John Barban (from The Reverse Taper Diet in The Adonis Index and Venus Index manuals)
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Up your calories to 1500. Change your macros to 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein. 65% carbs is to much.. you need protein to maintain lean muscle mass, and if you can lose eating 1500-1800 cals a day, why not.

I eat 1500 - 1800 cals and still lose 2 lbs a week. Currently I weigh 155. I started at 220 (i think) back in December. I ate 1200 for a while and realized I didn't have to. I exercise 3 days a week hard for 45 minutes to an hour and try to move a lot. That's it.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Also,

Lifting weights is KEY. I recently had my DXA scan done and at 51.5 years of age I have the bone density of a super athletic 30 year old. That is a direct result of lifting for over 30 years. Now if that is not scientific proof that lifting weights keeps you younger I don't know what is! Also I believe it is why most people think I look much younger than I really am.

Start lifting now, lift heavy and change it up often, find a lot of weight routines with free weights, make it fun, embrace it, make it part of your life. Only 3 days a week is all it would take. Crank up your tunes and learn to love it, because your body will love it and it will make your quality of life better in many ways, especially when you get older like me.

Because of this I don't have to worry about osteoporosis. If you wait until you are older and your bones start to deteriorate it's a bit too late, you can't get back what you lost, and you can only start a resistance routine that will prevent further damage.

If you are female you don't have the hormones to get big naturally. I lift heavy and I'm still really tiny. My lean body mass is only 104 lbs and that is fairly heavy for a 5'1" female, and quite a bit of this is due to my having very dense bones from 30 years of lifting, not all muscle, and I'm still quite tiny.

My muscles really are not that big, but they show a lot of definition because I'm quite lean. If I gained some fat then I would have a softer more toned look (which is OKAY too!). Then if I gained more fat I would look bulky and hefty like I did most of my life until last year. YOU CAN HAVE WHATEVER YOU WANT. Lean and ripped, soft and toned, or hefty, it all depends on how much fat you leave on your body. Calories are the only thing that changes fat. Exercise is for changing or maintaining your lean body mass only. Lifting weights will give you the best bang for your buck for shaping your body. I finally changed my shape by putting lifting first and cardio 2nd. You cannot out exercise too many calories.

Best of luck to you! Bobbie
  • DaveMurphy6
    DaveMurphy6 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Its common for us to mistake thirst for hunger.....When you feel hunger try drinking something first to see if that helps..if not then eat...lot of good ideas here
  • heathercicle
    heathercicle Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I took a peek at your diary. It looks like you're having a larger lunch and no dinner (recently, anyway). I would recommend halving your portions and saving the other half for another meal or snack. For example, in my loose translation, you're having 350 calories in rice. Eat half of it at lunch then half at dinner. Your vegetables seem to have a lot of calories so I would suggest switching to fresh vegetables that you can make from scratch and control what calories are included. Also, it looks like your oatmeal portion is probably larger than you need. Try cutting back on portions, which I saw you recognized in an earlier response. If you have trouble, measure out your portions based on packaging suggestions (unless it's fresh veggies!).

Anyway, I hope this all helps!

P.S. Google Translate FTW.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    If you need some "inexpensive" calories, try mixing protein powder with water and adding ice (mix well in a blender). You have about 100-150 calories, 20+g of protein, and the ice not only hydrates but keeps me full and the protein helps, too. My favorite kind of protein powder (taste wise) is Nature's Plus Blueberries & Cream (http://www.vitacost.com/natures-plus-spiru-tein-shake-blueberries-and-cream?csrc=GPF-PA-097467458482&ci_sku=097467458482&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}&gclid=CJfKyOTEuLMCFaOaPAodrjQA8Q). Add in a handful of blueberries and/or a banana and it's like desert - YUM!