Polar FT4

Options

Replies

• caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I have the FT4 as well and really like it, but I think it's hard to say if it's totally accurate. Compared to machines it can be off, but compared to sites that say what an average work out should be, it's fairly in line. If it's off, it's not off by any huge amount so it works for me.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT4. The only "issue" I've had with it is if it's cold out and I don't warm it up first (by wearing it for a bit) it takes awhile to find my HR or it thinks I don't have one lol I feel like the calories burned are right on for me but I don't eat all of my work out calories back anyways so if it's off a bit, it doesn't bother me
  • Sarah1023
    Sarah1023 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Timex is known to not work well for women. The algorithms are set up for men and over estimate women's burn. I have the FT4 and find it to be very accurate and it walks you right through the set up.
    Yeah, I noticed that after wearing it 2 times and considering you can't tell it your gender, no wonder!!
  • Sarah1023
    Options
    I have the FT4 as well and really like it, but I think it's hard to say if it's totally accurate. Compared to machines it can be off, but compared to sites that say what an average work out should be, it's fairly in line. If it's off, it's not off by any huge amount so it works for me.
    Ok, thanks!!!
  • Sarah1023
    Options
    I love my Polar FT4. The only "issue" I've had with it is if it's cold out and I don't warm it up first (by wearing it for a bit) it takes awhile to find my HR or it thinks I don't have one lol I feel like the calories burned are right on for me but I don't eat all of my work out calories back anyways so if it's off a bit, it doesn't bother me
    Yeah, ok, thanks! I will remember that tid bit about the cold!!
  • redtim22
    redtim22 Posts: 144
    Options
    I have the FT7 only thing about them that I dislike is you have to run the band under water for it to find your heart rate. Other then that works great! I tried going the cheap route with a GAIAM absolutely hated it. So I would recommend the Polar brand!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Polar FT4! I was riding my stationary bike and MFP would say I was burning 350 calories in 30 minutes. My bike computer would say 300 cals, so I went with that. I was 'burning' 600-700 cals for an hour ride per day according to my bike, not eating them back, and wondering why I wasn't losing faster than I was. I got the Polar HRM and it gives me a 177 cals for 30 minutes. OK, that explains it. I hated it at first because I was used to the higher numbers, but now my numbers are more accurate and I can see how increasing my HR by working harder is raising the burn numbers. Some other brands give higher burns, but for me, the Polar is VERY accurate and my weightloss is right on track with my calorie burns and eating level.

BTW, you can find them on Ebay for half what you will pay in a store. Just make sure it is a reputable seller.
  • Sarah1023
    Options
    I have the FT7 only thing about them that I dislike is you have to run the band under water for it to find your heart rate. Other then that works great! I tried going the cheap route with a GAIAM absolutely hated it. So I would recommend the Polar brand!
    The watch band or chest strap?
  • Sarah1023
    Options
    I LOVE my Polar FT4! I was riding my stationary bike and MFP would say I was burning 350 calories in 30 minutes. My bike computer would say 300 cals, so I went with that. I was 'burning' 600-700 cals for an hour ride per day according to my bike, not eating them back, and wondering why I wasn't losing faster than I was. I got the Polar HRM and it gives me a 177 cals for 30 minutes. OK, that explains it. I hated it at first because I was used to the higher numbers, but now my numbers are more accurate and I can see how increasing my HR by working harder is raising the burn numbers. Some other brands give higher burns, but for me, the Polar is VERY accurate and my weightloss is right on track with my calorie burns and eating level.

BTW, you can find them on Ebay for half what you will pay in a store. Just make sure it is a reputable seller.
    Okay, great advice!! Thanks so much!
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    i've had this polar for a while and i love it, for me i've found it to be extremely accurate and durable, i even wear the wrist portion as a watch to work everyday and have yet to find any issues. once in a while if i do something crazy, like dancing crab in the JM videos the HR will drop out for a second but thats because my fat/boobs move the strap lol.
  • redtim22
    redtim22 Posts: 144
    Options
    The watch band or chest strap?

Just the watch it was a touch screen but touch screen never worked.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I love my FT4. I've had it for almost a year and it's still working well. On a rare occasion it wont pick my heart rate signal. I just take the battery out of the chest strap to reset it. Works like a charm! Not sure if it's completely accurate, but I found out MFP had always estimated my calories a bit lower then the Polar. For basic functions like time & calories burned, this is a great HRM.
  • FinallyFindingLisa
    FinallyFindingLisa Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I run my chest strap under warm water (the instructions say to do this) prior to putting it on. I am sure that's to help the connectivity. I have been very happy with it. Other than swimming, the calorie burn seems to be pretty accurate.
    **I've had zero luck with it in the pool**
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I've had the FT4 for almost 2 years and have really enjoyed it,and found it accurate as far as we can trust the science and research that went into the algorithms programmed in there. But that's all we can do right?! It is better than trusting online calculators or machines that are usually programmed for the "average" male....

The only trouble I ever had is when I wore it in a swimming pool, they say you can, but a few of my friends and I all noticed the watch wouldn't pick up the transmitter very well in the pool. Also, yeah, during crazy dance or aerobic moves the chest strap may shift and then would not register a heart beat for a few moments....

All that said, I do love it and rely on it and lost all the weight I wanted to. And, the FT4 was part of that package!

Also, do know that the amount of calories the watch shows as burned DOES include your resting calories, not just the extra ones you burned during the workout. If you don't have alot to lose it would be important to only log the net cals burned in your diary, so to speak. If you have loads of weight to lose, then you have more wiggle room and no need to worry about accuracy - YET!

Good Luck on your journey!

edit for spelling!
  • SqueakGirl
    SqueakGirl Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Can I slightly hijack and ask....
    I would love to get one of the Polar FT4s too....
    I have a 7" wrist though, for those that own one, would you mind measuring the watch band?:flowerforyou:

I always have issues with watches or bracelets.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I love my FT4!!!!!!!!!! Its been accurate as far as the science goes, and I have found that mfp was really high on the calorie burned end. I did find out the hard way (it was during one of my 5ks) that if you don't wet the band, the burn is off by a lot. So i always run the chest strap under warm water.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I have a 7" wrist though, for those that own one, would you mind measuring the watch band?:flowerforyou:

Mine measures 9 1/2 inches from the end of the buckle to the end of the opposite strap. There are holes until almost the end. - hope that makes sense.
  • sweetd_cali
    sweetd_cali Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thanks for your input...so you feel the calories are more accurate? I had read a couple of reviews where some ppl were saying their calories burned seemed too high...I'm thinking maybe they just did not set it up appropriately. The timex that I just bought did the same, though, and I know I sat it up properly. So idk...

I heard the same thing from a couple people. I watch my heart rate ranges and they seem consistent between workouts and my total burn is pretty close to MFP measurements for different activities like circuit training, aerobics and walking my dog :)
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on what you want to achieve with your watch. I had a FT4 and it was awesome, but I wanted something that was a little more of a work-horse, so I got the FT40. I actually got this one specifically for what I wanted to achieve when using MFP to change my fitness and eating lifestyle. It worked wonders. But now, for example, I am into triathlon training and other activities. The FT4 and FT40 are not very useful for me. So, it really depends on what you want to be able to track. I do want to say that of all of the other brands I have tried, Polar is consistently the most accurate and reliable, but you definitely pay a premium for that (which I think is worth it).
    Agreed. You get what you pay for and I can witness that with the Timex I purchased. Although, I did find a lot of good reviews on it, so idk. I think for me, I'm into basic fitness, burning a lot of calories with beach body type programs and running...Thanks for your advice.

If you are into running AND calorie burning, i definitely recommend the FT40 then. It can tell when you are fat burning vs. aerobic fitness, which is extremely useful. It is obvious to tell when you are doing something like Beach Body vs. a run. It also tracks you average and max heart rate, which is very important for running. I also love the calories tracking plus the calorie fat %. I bought the FT40 for almost exactly what you are doing...except I was doing Cross Fit.
  • starspeckled
    starspeckled Posts: 313 Member
    Options

Mine measures 9 1/2 inches from the end of the buckle to the end of the opposite strap. There are holes until almost the end. - hope that makes sense.

I have the bronze one, and the inside of the strap while buckled on the largest possible hole looks like 8 inches :) I think you should be good! Plus, I find the watch very comfortable. I love my FT4, hate working out without it!