Domican Republic Water and Food Questions

Options
inshapeCK
inshapeCK Posts: 3,941 Member
Ooops! Just found my typo above but can't change it under edit as the words in the topic can't be fixed. I do know how to spell Dominican!

Have any of you been to Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe Resort
or to Punta Cana
or to the Dominican Republic?

Another couple invited us to join them on a last minute vacation this month but we haven't decided if we are going to go or not.
For some reason, I thought there was a health or safety issue there but wasn't sure as we haven't been before so I looked up information on the computer.
I was concerned about possible health issues as I already have some internal problems and pain so am nervous and leery about going somewhere I haven't been, especially if there is potential I could have a problem with something wrecking havoc with my insides.

I found the following on http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g147293-s206/Punta-Cana:Dominican-Republic:Health.And.Safety.html

"Tourists should be aware that there is a risk of contracting sicknesses from the local food and water. But if you eat smart and drink smart you should be fine. Always use bottled water and watch the salads that you eat, as they may be washed in tap water. You are safer eating at the resort than in a restaurant should you decide to travel inland to any small village. Cooked food should always be safe, but must be well cooked. Be careful not to get water in your mouth when you shower, and make sure to brush your teeth and rinse your toothbrush with bottled water. Also at some of the hotels, it may smell like sewage near gardens or soil. It is NOT sewage, but it is the smell that come from the heat that contacts with the soil."

We have been to Jamaica, St. Lucia, and Bahamas and stayed at the Sandals Resorts within the last 10 years. Those islands didn't have tap water issues. I also spoke to someone who stayed at the resort next door in the Dominican Republic and he said they were fine except one night his wife had a salad and it looked like it was wet/had water on top and she had the runs that night.

Also wondering about shots and medicaton but since it is a last minute trip some may not be possible. I think I am up-to-tate with the hep. A & B shots. When we went to Jamaica my family doctor gave me a prescription for Dukoral to take before I went but I didn't take it as I was fine the last times we had gone and we were going back to the same resort. Someone else mentioned that they took the twinrex shots and medicine for cholera. Maybe people can share what they have taken and if it was helpful.

Anyway, since I am not as adventurous as others and my insides can give me pain and problems even when being within my own country I am just looking for some people to share any positive or negative experiences they had with the water and food and brushing their teeth and showering in the Dominican Republic. Thank you. Please be kind with your responses. I don't have anything against the Dominican Republic I am just looking for people's experiences since I haven't been there before and am always nervous travelling somewhere I have never been. Thanks.