joggers/ runners - What do you do this time of year?

Options
I went out on my little jog this morning at 6am it was nice, frosty and only 1 degree, the first path i went down was fine but when i turned into the next street it was very slippery under foot, i kept going but at a slightly slower pace so not to hurt myself.

Im new to all this jogging stuff so my question is how do you deal with this weather and the slippery paths?

Replies

• iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I take it you don't live in Florida where it was 68 this morning...But on days it is too cold to run(50F), I go to the gym.
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Lift weights, glare angrily at the treadmill, and await springtime
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Thankfully I have my treadmill. Also, I've agreed to meet up with a couple friends a few times a month to run on the indoor track at our soccer facility.
  • trainlikekatniss
    Options
    I go to the gym.
  • MeganMac17
    MeganMac17 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Good Lord, that's cold! Where do you guys live?!?! Here in Chicago, it is in the 30s-40s F these days. I've bundled up a couple times to head out, but mostly just go indoors and use the treadmill. Not that exciting, but I try to change it up and do some interval training.

Good luck to you , and stay warm!
  • miche_smash
    miche_smash Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym and run on the treadmill. Running in the cold sounds miserable to me but I haven't really tried it...
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I just started running and I've been giving this a lot of thought, I guess I'll be using the treadmill. I have a race every month so I will be doing some outside running.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I take it you don't live in Florida where it was 68 this morning...But on days it is too cold to run(50F), I go to the gym.

Seriously?:huh: Too cold to run at 50F? It was 33 on my run this morning and I was SWEATING!
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Good Lord, that's cold! Where do you guys live?!?! Here in Chicago, it is in the 30s-40s F these days. I've bundled up a couple times to head out, but mostly just go indoors and use the treadmill. Not that exciting, but I try to change it up and do some interval training.

Good luck to you , and stay warm!

I think they're talking Celcius....so 1 degree C is 33 degrees F.
  • RunnerBlonde808
    RunnerBlonde808 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I will run outside until it gets down to the teens. Simply bundle up and get going. But,,,if there is ice out of any kind, I prefer to keep it indoors. The treadmill or indoor track is usually where I end up in the winter.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I deal with the hazards. I say run outside but be safe about it. Run in the grass or on the side (thinking it's gravel) of the road for some extra grip. Mostly, just pay attention. Have fun. Nice dedication to keep running in the cold though.
  • Time2Thrive
    Time2Thrive Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Yaktraxs, https://www.yaktrax.com/, have been a definite help to ensure not losing it during my run. Otherwise the only other thing I have is a neck warmer that way I can pull it up for breathing when the temps are too low.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I've never run outside in winter before... I think I'm just going to run inside since I'll likely slip and break my face.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I was supposed to participate in a 5 k yesterday, but it was cancelled. The city was covered in a layer of ice. And today it's cold and windy. Tomorrow we are expecting an inch of snow over that ice. Living where I do, inside running is often my only option!
  • Jen2ssaint
    Options
    I just bundle up an head on out. I only resort to the treadmill if it is icy/slippery outside. I actually prefer to running in the cold weather. The 30's & 40's are my favorite!
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    I have running spikes for the ice...I slow down my pace a little and dress warmer. I really cannot stand the treadmill but will use it if I have to.
  • BuckeyeBlubber
    Options
    I'd rather run in the cold. Running in humidity is like breathing peanut butter for me.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Yaktrax and dress appropriately, this site has never failed me: http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/whattowear/0,7152,s6-240-325-330-0-0-0-0-0,00.html

You can run in almost any temps, cold weather doesn't cause long term damage to your respiratory system. Layer up appropriately, take time to do a good warm up with walking and stretching and you should probably be fine. I was running in MT in about 25 degree F weather last winter and it felt pretty good.
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

Seriously?:huh: Too cold to run at 50F? It was 33 on my run this morning and I was SWEATING!
    LOL..I am a native Floridian and though I have live in a lot of cold states, I have been back home for the past 12 years and my blood has become thin again, so anything lower than 50 is considered bone chilling...lol.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    42 this morning... put on a hat and keep running :smile: