Exercise Before Breakfast?

Options
I read somewhere that exercise before eating helps boost your metabolism, especially before breakfast. Has anyone else heard this, and does anyone know if it is true?

Replies

• Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Its not really true.

Just do your exercise when ever you feel best.
  • KMiche82
    KMiche82 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have seen studies where you need to fuel your body before you exercise so that you can burn what you need to.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is true. I also don't think you necessarily need to eat before you workout. It really depends on the type of workout. I always workout first thing in the morning, before I eat. My weight loss was good and I was able to stick with it. When I tried to workout in the evenings, I would inevitably begin to miss workouts.

I think the most important part of picking a time to workout is picking a time you will stick with.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Its not really true.

Just do your exercise when ever you feel best.

Yep. Eat when you feel best too.

Crazy concept I know, but it honestly works.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    if you're just comparing it to not exercising at all, then yes, it does. If it's compared to exercising at other times in the day, I don't buy it. Besides, most studies that provide significant results are done on athletes - like professionally competitive athletes, not just in shape people. Last I checked, Average Joe was just supposed to get moving any old way and time that could become a habit - doing it at all seemed to be the biggest hurdle, the rest is chump change if anything.

Definitely find what works for you, but also keep in mind what you eat, when, can make a difference in how your workouts feel. My training partner and I can only work out in the evenings together because of scheduling issues, but I used to be a strictly morning runner. Running together motivated me to figure out how to get over it by adjusting what I ate, and when. Now I can happily run as far as I want to with a few hours notice and proper planning.

So if you're mentally more jazzed about a morning run than you are physically feeling up for it, play with your diet some. I find a swig of OJ before I pull on the shoes is just enough to start things up without weighing me down.

One more thought - my nutritionist seems pretty convinced that working in activity or exercise multiple times a day, even for just a few minutes at a time, will boost one's base metabolic rate the most. Like if you're going to walk for an hour a day, you could do it all in one go, or you could divide it up into 6 times 10 minute walks spaced throughout the day. The latter will boost your base metabolic rate more, according to her. I've not read the studies, and logical is not the same as factual, but it seems like a reasonable idea to me. I'm not going to go for 6 times 10 minute runs, so I have no personal experience or intention of trying it out myself, but it might be easier for some people who can't find big chunks of time or who participate in activities that can be divvied up easier.
  • bdart
    bdart Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When I first started to lose weight i'd just get up at 5am in the dead of winter (very cold in Barrie) and go for a 5K to start my day.. nothing before aside from a glass of water and maybe a quick granola bar I had to get out before my wife was out the door for work...not much choice.

Havent ran in a while due to injury, doing other things now... but I have two small boys 4 and 2.. they dont always allow for you to do your workouts when YOU want to get it in, so it's more get it in when you can... and the fact that that you're doing a workout at all is great.

I will say though, after lots of experimenting with early am, late night.. either way, try and get at least a little bit of fuel into you even if it's a bar or gel packs like the "clif" products.. here are examples, i've used all kinds of brands... i use the gels before and during runs...

http://www.clifbar.com/food/products/