Elipticals

Options
How accurate are they? I usually do 30 minute cardio and burn quite a few calories. It varies depending on how hard I push myself. The least amount I've burned is 365 and the most is 437. I enter weight and age. I just want to know how close it is to telling me how much I actually burn. Thanks!

Replies

• KimberlyKurtz
    Options
    I have one and the calories on my eliptical vs when I enter it on this site are always way off. some else on here said shape.com has a calorie counter thats more accurate I've been using that number.
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    The calories a person burns varies. It depends on age, weight, heart rate, and intensity. I've done some research and have come to the conclusion that the only way to accurately count calories is with a good heart monitor. I have ordered a Polar F7 (as that is what people on MFP has recommended).
  • greeneyes82
    greeneyes82 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I agree since I use the elliptical a lot & it burns more calories than running on a treadmill for the same amount of time! I'm thinking about buying a heart rate monitor to see if I can get a better, more accurate reading.
  • Kritter22
    Options
    I use my eliptical daily and yes it is very different from what is on here for amount of time vs. calories burned. But my eliptical also has different programs and with each program with the same amount time I burn different amount of calories. It also depends on how much resistance I put on, The more resistants the more calories I burn. I believe mine to be pretty accurate!! I sure hope so:(!!!!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    If I go by distance instead of time it actually tracks pretty closely to what I burn on a treadmill.
  • Missy_B
    Missy_B Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hmm, well I went to shape.com and entered time and weight and it is way off from what i regularly burn. The problem is, it doesnt give you the chance to enter what level of intensity you workout. Yeah if I did 30 minutes on the eliptical at a 15 level intensity, I'm not going to burn as much as I would at a level 30. I'll have to get the heart rate monitor and see how that works. Thanks for ya'lls input!!!