Weight loss so slow!!

Options
I've been doing this over a week, being really good, and I've only lost 1.2 lbs!! I know this is a whole lifestyle change but I'm already cranky, and tired, and trying to walk more even though I'm SO tired.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    1.2 lbs in a week is great. Loosing more than 2 lbs/week may put strain on your system or cause your body to go into starvation mode unless you are obese to begin with. Looking at your goals you have less than 30lbs so 1.2 is great. Slow and steady wins the race.
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I hear you, I was SOOOO excited to be down 4 pounds week one, and then week 2, less than a pound. Don't fret, as the previous poster said slow and steady wins the race.
  • safiresp04
    Options
    You didn't pack on the extra weight in a week, so what makes you think it will come off in a week?
  • CAworkout
    CAworkout Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Keep it up!! Weight loss is not easy and losing too much too quickly isn't healthy or easy to maintain. It takes a lot of calories (I think about 7000) to lose one pound of fat so losing 1-2 pounds per week is great. And remember not to get discouraged by the number, espeically if you are working out. As you lose fat it's likely you're gaining muscle so keep in mind the changes you'll notice in how your clothes fit. I rarely weigh myself; I trust my jeans instead. Good luck!!
  • dogmeat
    dogmeat Posts: 83
    Options
    1 lb a week is a good pace, if you only have 30 lbs to get to your goal.

Too rapid weight loss is generally never just fat loss - most big decreases are water weight (which is irrelevant) combined with muscle mass loss (if your calorie deficit is too large).

You should avoid big deficits and large, quick losses like plague - they'll slow down your metabolism, basically permanently *, making future weight gain almost unavoidable.

* Lost muscle mass decreases metabolism, and the only way to speed it up again is to regain the muscle - which requires calorie surplus and much, much more work than losing it took.
  • sinman
    sinman Posts: 1
    Options
    I know how you feel. I was getting a little frustrated with my weight loss to, but then I remembered that it is not just about the scale. It is about how you feel inside. I feel so much better since I have started eating healthier. I know if I stick with it, the pounds will slowly creep away and I will have found the new me. Keep on eating healthy!!!!!!
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    How much did you expect to lose in that time?
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    WOW!!! just a week!!! This is a long row to hoe, so to speak!!! Get rid of that attitude now!!! Just think that you are making yourself healthy and getting that much closer to your goal with every positive change that you make in your life... The weight coming off is a REALLY GREAT SIDE EFFECT!!! :drinker:
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    1 lb a week is a good pace, if you only have 30 lbs to get to your goal.

Too rapid weight loss is generally never just fat loss - most big decreases are water weight (which is irrelevant) combined with muscle mass loss (if your calorie deficit is too large).

You should avoid big deficits and large, quick losses like plague - they'll slow down your metabolism, basically permanently *, making future weight gain almost unavoidable.

* Lost muscle mass decreases metabolism, and the only way to speed it up again is to regain the muscle - which requires calorie surplus and much, much more work than losing it took.

:laugh: :laugh: Then I must be doing it right :laugh: I don't lose more than 1.5 lb a week... that's with a 1270 calorie/day exercise 4-5x/week... BUT the inches are definitely coming off :drinker:
  • Lady_C_the_1st
    Options
    Keep it up!! Weight loss is not easy and losing too much too quickly isn't healthy or easy to maintain. It takes a lot of calories (I think about 7000) to lose one pound of fat so losing 1-2 pounds per week is great. And remember not to get discouraged by the number, espeically if you are working out. As you lose fat it's likely you're gaining muscle so keep in mind the changes you'll notice in how your clothes fit. I rarely weigh myself; I trust my jeans instead. Good luck!!

1lb of fat = 3500 calories. So you need to cut out 3500 calories per week to lose a lb. :noway:
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options

1lb of fat = 3500 calories. So you need to cut out 3500 calories per week to lose a lb. :noway:
    It's not as hard as you think. When you put in your goal and myfitnesspal tells you what your calorie goal should be per day to lose 1 lb a week, it's already taking into account the calorie deficit you need per day to reach that 3500 calories. And if you work out on top of that, then you can lose even more.
  • pocostef
    Options
    Thanks everybody! Basically I was hoping to lose about 2 pounds.
    I really like large plates of food, so I've been eating jumbles of raw veggies and loving it. However, when I see the calorie count on packaged foods when I start to cave, it's discouraging (e.g. Island Oat Bar at starbucks is about 350 cal.). Good thing I like the taste of veggies!!