Got fondled by my spotter today doing squats...

Options
13»

Replies

• pants77
    pants77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Bro,
    How much are you doing?

Heavy squatting is the most dangerous exercise in the gym. In many cases, you may need up to 3 spotters assisting.

Have you tried the "Smith Machine"? These racks are the most functional for safely developing strength and size in your thighs.

If you are doing deep squats and having a spotter right in back of you.... lets just say that it is very dangerous and you have more to worry about than being fondled.:laugh:

I don't believe this, personally, but I've heard a lot of people say that the Smith machine is for ladies and/or effeminate men who aren't serious about lifting, because serious people would just use a bar and the Smith machine is cheating and for sissy girls and girly men.

Like I said, I don't believe any of it, but there is definitely a stigma attached to the Smith machine and people who care about the opinions of the other people at the gym might well be scared away from the Smith machine for this reason. I do agree that there are some stabilizer muscles that don't get worked as well on the Smith machine but it's still perfectly fine for 99.9% of people.

Plus, the squat cage is always full and the Smith machine is always open.

And if you're just using a bar and plates and you're in a squat cage, you don't need a spotter as long as you set the cage arms properly. So I don't get that. Personally I'd never squat without the cage, that's how legs and spines and pelvises and shoulder blades and collarbones get broken.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I'm appalled that people are making jokes about this. I'm so sorry that happened to you. I think you should report him!
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Last time I had a spotter while doing squats...

It was "air" squats, toes against the wall. If I felt I was losing balance, I would grab the corner of the wall.
    Then it came out that my trainer's wife was cheating on him, he confided that it'd been 2 years since they'd been intimate, and started making mild innuendos. By that point, I was starting my own divorce process, was seeing my SomeOneSpecial regularly, and I absolutely did not want to hook up with my trainer (even though he gave me a sweet deal - $100/mo for 2x/wk training).
    The last time he came to my place for a personal training session (part of why I chose him - and always kid supervised) he crossed a line. I was doing these wall-toe squats and he decided to spot me for the first time. Hands on my hips, fingers in my bone indentation, him dictating how far down I was(not) dipping, he lost count...
    Within a week we had moved the sessions to the gym he worked out of. A month to a month and a half later, he'd moved the sessions to his apartment complex. I went maybe 3 times, then chose to discontinue.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Bro,
    How much are you doing?

Heavy squatting is the most dangerous exercise in the gym. In many cases, you may need up to 3 spotters assisting.

Have you tried the "Smith Machine"? These racks are the most functional for safely developing strength and size in your thighs.

If you are doing deep squats and having a spotter right in back of you.... lets just say that it is very dangerous and you have more to worry about than being fondled.:laugh:

This is a joke, right? You're not really advocating the Smith machine, right?
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Bro,
    How much are you doing?

I don't believe this, personally, but I've heard a lot of people say that the Smith machine is for ladies and/or effeminate men who aren't serious about lifting, because serious people would just use a bar and the Smith machine is cheating and for sissy girls and girly men.

Like I said, I don't believe any of it, but there is definitely a stigma attached to the Smith machine and people who care about the opinions of the other people at the gym might well be scared away from the Smith machine for this reason. I do agree that there are some stabilizer muscles that don't get worked as well on the Smith machine but it's still perfectly fine for 99.9% of people.

And if you're just using a bar and plates and you're in a squat cage, you don't need a spotter as long as you set the cage arms properly. So I don't get that. Personally I'd never squat without the cage, that's how legs and spines and pelvises and shoulder blades and collarbones get broken.

There's a reason the Smith Machine is always empty. It's because it's useless and potentially harmful. Whatever you think you can lift on the Smith, you likely can't do half of that with an Olympic bar. Not only does the Smith stabilize for you, but it also forces you into unnatural and harmful positions. If you can lift the empty bar with one finger -- think about it -- you aren't the source of the power. Also, the Smith bar is 25-35 lbs and hydraulic, depending on the version of the machine. The Oly bar is 45 lbs. and you have to BALANCE IT. The Jones (3D Smith) machines, still force your movement into 2 planes and don't allow the natural arc which would occur if you were lifting with proper posture. Smith = joint injuries and foolish people who think they can lift a lot, but can't.

Oh wait -- The Smith Machine is good for pull-ups.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Bro,
    How much are you doing?

This is a joke, right? You're not really advocating the Smith machine, right?

A Smith Machine isn't ideal, but a squat cage with proper safety bars would be better if he doesn't have 3 spotters. One spotter isn't adequate if you're lifting dangerously heavy weight.
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    hearing everyone say the proper spotting technique is basically spooning standing up... makes me glad my hubs doesn't squat!! LOL

Does he even lift?

Ya, he's in there every am with me. but he's not as motivated as me right now. When we met he was pretty ripped, but also pretty lean. Now he's in a comfortable place. He could use to loose a bit of stomach (by his own admittace) but not ready to push for it. Y'all dudes can pull off a belly a lot longer than us girls can w/out it looking awful (btw, that's totally unfair LOL).
  • karrielynn80
    Options
    Bro,
    How much are you doing?

There's a reason the Smith Machine is always empty. It's because it's useless and potentially harmful. Whatever you think you can lift on the Smith, you likely can't do half of that with an Olympic bar. Not only does the Smith stabilize for you, but it also forces you into unnatural and harmful positions. If you can lift the empty bar with one finger -- think about it -- you aren't the source of the power. Also, the Smith bar is 25-35 lbs and hydraulic, depending on the version of the machine. The Oly bar is 45 lbs. and you have to BALANCE IT. The Jones (3D Smith) machines, still force your movement into 2 planes and don't allow the natural arc which would occur if you were lifting with proper posture. Smith = joint injuries and foolish people who think they can lift a lot, but can't.

Oh wait -- The Smith Machine is good for pull-ups.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you here. While i use the racks. I started on the smith & heard all the negative talk about the smith machine... everything you mentioned above & then some.... so i moved to the rack, b/c i didn't want to be sacraficing potentially higher weight for potential injuries. I could almost dbl squat in the racks what I was squatting on the smith. and the racks to cause you to stabalize yourself more - however, for beginners who are barely squatting (like me & most ppl who begin squatting) they are not throwing up Massive amts of weight.

I think it's a perfectly legit machine to start with if you need that sense of security.

That being said - that's just my opinion & i'm not looking to get into a debate. I think there is a lot of negative talk about machines vs free weight & while almost every logical person would advocate the free weights, sometimes it's just not plausable. I personally do a mix of machines & free weights. I may not be reaching 150% potential on the machines, but at least im not risking injury b/c i don't have a spotter.

**btw, our smith machine is almost as busy as our squat rack - not just for squatting tho.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I find racking and unracking weight to be very awkward on a smith, particularly with the weight I do.

I use one when I'm too lazy to go to my main gym and my gym in my neighborhood just has dumbells up to a certain weight or the smith machine and no freeweight barbells.

I find it kills the negative portion of exercises.

You can do some interesting things on it though, like bench press explosions with lighter weight where you actually throw the bar upwards. I wouldn't exactly advice that with freeweights.
  • karrielynn80
    Options
    I find racking and unracking weight to be very awkward on a smith, particularly with the weight I do.

I use one when I'm too lazy to go to my main gym and my gym in my neighborhood just has dumbells up to a certain weight or the smith machine and no freeweight barbells.

I find it kills the negative portion of exercises.

You can do some interesting things on it though, like bench press explosions with lighter weight where you actually throw the bar upwards. I wouldn't exactly advice that with freeweights.

I noticed someone doing bench press with it last wk & plan to start using it for this purpose myself this week - i switched to a machine for benching once i got to where i needed a spotter :( ... it's amazing the ideas you get that you wouldn't even think of when you keep your eyes open.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    correctly spotting for squats is basically like spooning standing up.
    Spooning you say? hmm..i might spend more time in the squat rack if i can get some one to spot me hehe
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Next time try donkey calf raises, those aren't as gay

doks.jpg

This picture makes me want to explode with laughter. I think I may save it.
  • Bucky83
    Bucky83 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    spot.jpg
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    hilarious thread, but the most hilarious part is the people who are taking the smith machine/3 spotter post seriously :laugh:

now i want to sit down and listen to each of you recount me a tale of what your life has been like without humor.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Next time try donkey calf raises, those aren't as gay

doks.jpg

Dude i see this all over tnation too lol. Creeps me out.

How about a modified version? Switch some "straddling rider" to "face-up planking" and you've killed 2 birds with one stone!