Love the walking, hate the neighborhood

Options
Am I the only person who puts on her workout clothes, gets out there and feels mortified? I live in a small town but a big neighborhood and at least 20 cars every 5 minutes pass me. Also kids running around, mean children, lol. I feel like they stare at me and it freaks me out. I love the walking but I wish I was alone and felt comfortable doing it.

Replies

• ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I have issue with all of the dogs...they must get out or be let out during the day. It drives me nuts. When the schools let out I don't even try to walk because of all the soccer moms and high school craziness, but i feel your pain.
  • abredbenner
    abredbenner Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Pardon my French but F them. You are doing this for your health. I was recently running and this group of kids yelled "run chubby run". I wanted to go over and smack them in the face but it did not stop me from getting out there to run the next day. Put on some music and tune them right out.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    I have always felt like that, I have really bad anxiety though, and so I always feel like I am being watched! That is why I invested in a treadmill for home, LOVE having the option of hoping on whenever I want, and watching Charmed while I'm working out!
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    Pardon my French but F them. You are doing this for your health. I was recently running and this group of kids yelled "run chubby run". I wanted to go over and smack them in the face but it did not stop me from getting out there to run the next day. Put on some music and tune them right out.

For the life of me I do not see where they got Run "Chubby".... you are skinny!!!! Silly kids......
  • jawhwilson
    Options
    I agree. I just turn the music up on my ipod so I can't hear anyone. I just focus on the beat and walk with it. Also, someone on another posted and I just found that if you have ondemand with comcast there is a free walking show.
  • sdgreen17
    sdgreen17 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I live in a crappy neighborhood. Like, I got mugged in my driveway in 2004, crappy. I REFUSE to walk/jog by myself outside, but can't really afford to buy a treadmill, join a gym or um, MOVE. I thought maybe going to the local high school track would be an option, but they usually have some sport or band practicing there.

I've also been thinking about going to the mall early in the morning to walk.

I am up for ideas.
  • txcwgirl
    txcwgirl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I agree with abredbenner If you don't like them staring and the like, put on your favorite music and ignore them. Our problem in our neighborhood is no sidewalks. I don't like being in the street especially when I have my dogs with me or I'm out with headphones.

sdgreen17 - are there any parks near you or a better neighborhood close & Safe enough to go to? The mall is a great indoor place to walk you always see people doing that.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I live in a crappy neighborhood. Like, I got mugged in my driveway in 2004, crappy. I REFUSE to walk/jog by myself outside, but can't really afford to buy a treadmill, join a gym or um, MOVE. I thought maybe going to the local high school track would be an option, but they usually have some sport or band practicing there.

I've also been thinking about going to the mall early in the morning to walk.

I am up for ideas.

Drive to a 'nicer' neighborhood. No one will know you don't live there, they'll just assume you're out walking/running. Or look up a trail system. I know they have them where you live.

I live in a small town too. That means you can walk outside the town rather easily, and there is never any traffic.
  • r1chy
    r1chy Posts: 48
    Options
    I try to do silly little things such as..

Walk to the local shop
    Park further away fromt he entrance to the supermarket (although I dont always do this and the supermarket IS my local shop)

As for the kids....burn some more calories KICKING THIER *kitten*. lol only joking.
  • kingnatalie
    Options
    You may feel awkward, but they do not know you feel that way. Stay confident and stick to your program. Wear your i pod so you seem less - feel less conspicuous and enjoy yourself more. Dedicate yourself to your walk and music, pretty soon you won't even notice any of the "noise" around you.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    go to a park, track, or wherever is made for people who have the same goals as you
  • mamacassi
    mamacassi Posts: 131
    Options
    Rub chubby run? What jerks, honestly. That's what I feel like everyone is thinking when they stare at me, lol. And also that we have tons of kids and high schoolers, though I'm their age, which is confusing but still makes me nervous. I went out today and did 4 miles only because I'm exhausted but thanks everyone. I feel better.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    B/C I live by a HS I hear the same things from the teenagers, but now I just Hoot back at them because I have my ipod turned so loud all I hear is them saying something....but it isn't clear....so I just come off as the crazy lady that will mace you if you come near me....muhahaha