Starting to realise why Im overweight

Options
Today, we had a special lunch at work and there was a buffet with sandwiches, mini cakes, crisps and a few other nibbles. Normally at this things I go a little mad and keep needing more sandwiches. I was very impressed with myself as normally I would have eaten 2/3 times the amount. However when I checked on my app, I ate over 700 calories! It was only as I logged each item, I realised just how much I had eaten (2 Small sandwiches/2 small rolls), apple juice, orange juice, 2 mini roles (which I foolishly thought looked tiny) and 6 mini sausage rolls (165 calories!!!!) Now at the time I did not feel like it was a big lunch (I didn't even take any crisps). Now I definitely know better. I have now gone over my calories by 300 which I am not happy about however on a positive note, I didn't go crazy and I ate less than I have! This made me think it's no wonder I got so big if I was eating two/three three times this much, Thankfully we only have this once in 6 months but years ago we used to have them all the time and I was a lot bigger then.

Replies

• Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    That is where a lot of people fall....

you don't consider the little bits that you eat that slowly....slowly creep into big totals.

I used to grab a bit of my hubbys candy, or a few chips etc., eventually added up......its not pretty.
  • Marinayes
    Marinayes Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Also, the apple juice and orange juice are KILLERS! I am always shocked how many calories are in them and they never fill me up. Water is your best friend. You might have saved over 200 calories drinking water instead of juice.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Knowledge is power!

I don't think I could ever get a calorie count of all the bites, licks, nibbles, swallows, and "just one mores" that I've had over the past couple of decades, but I bet it would add up to a lot because my body weight sure did!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    yup i have to say the food diary has been a real eye opener for me as well. congratulations on recognizing it and wanting to do something about it. :) you're on the right track now!
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Logging every bite has made all the difference for me.

And I quickly learned that I am better off logging meals before I eat them, so I can figure out how much of each thing to eat, and how to balance the whole day.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Self-awareness is the key, this is the main thing that MFP has given me. Just realising how many calories was in what you ate this time will help you make better choices next time. Don't beat yourself up too mcuh, you didn't do too badly and you've learned an important lesson for next time