Alcohol Calories don't count?

Options

Replies

• like_milk
    like_milk Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Had William the Conqueror not died in an accident I'm sure his alcohol diet would see him live, well, slender and a picture of perfect health, even today...
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    That was a great article, thanks for posting! I looked at a few of the research articles that were referenced and there is alot of great info there. I think we should still count the calories but not worry about it IF our diets are made up of good nutritionally dense foods (ie, not processed garbage).

:drinker:
  • snafuing1
    snafuing1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I went from 175 lbs to where I am now (~147 lbs) mostly not counting calories from alcohol (as long as it was just straight liquor, I count wine/beer). Didn't seem to affect my weight loss. That was a year ago. I still drink like the 24 year old grad student that I am. I think the trick is to eat high protein, and lift weights to keep your testosterone levels up.
  • amydee714
    amydee714 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I thought the theory behind it was interesting as well. Not sure how acurate it is! lol, but it is interesting to think about.

Someone else (IRL) gave this example (which actually kinda made me laugh):

He held up a Kleenex and said "Everything is made up of calories. This Kleenex has calories; however, if I eat this I will not gain any weight because my body cannot process the calories in this Kleenex. It won't be good for me, especially if I eat a lot of them, but the point is that no matter how many I eat I will not gain wait from the calories in this Kleenex."

Interesting, albeit, completely ridiculous theory!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Welp, looks like it's gonna be a liquid lunch for me today.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    This is called the William the Conqueror diet, it's legit and has been around since the 11th century, look it up!

How'd that end for ole Billy the Conqueror?

I think he eventually died.

I think that's a pretty obvious assumption at this point.
  • LilMissImperfect
    Options
    I gotta say part of the reason im as heavy as i am is because of liquor! When I first joined a gym my trainer and my dietitian had my keep a journal of everything i ate, drank, and their portions. After three weeks we looked over everything together, lo and behold 3/4 of my calorie intake came from alcohol (used to be quite the party-goer).
  • dawndw
    dawndw Posts: 203
    Options
    :noway:
  • Owsla135
    Owsla135 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    "A man drinks like that and don't eat, he's gonna die"
  • Serenstar75
    Serenstar75 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body processes things differently. I think the key is to figure out how your own body works and eat in a way that supports your weight loss. I lost 60 lbs in 2010 and was able to maintain the loss quite well eating whatever I wanted - as long as it didn't include wheat. I could eat butter, cream, cheese, corn, rice, etc. in whatever portions I felt like eating without gaining. But, as soon as I started eating wheat again on a regular basis, my weight just skyrocketed. I've gained almost 20 lbs in the last 2 months (4 weeks of which I was traveling) and the culprit for me is the wheat. I know it and I don't know what I was thinking ... like the results would be different for me this time. lol So, I'm back to the low fat and wheat-free diet until the weight comes off again - when I can add more fats back into my diet.

How do you cut wheat? I'm not meaning just eating gluten free style foods, but how do you know which things exactly to cut and did you cut anything else too? I'm really thinking of doing this. I don't know that I eat much wheat though, so I want to sort it out
  • kshiraakshara
    kshiraakshara Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    They count. All of the weight I'm trying to lose came when I started drinking more, and I pretty much only drink straight vodka (not cocktails).
  • AngelaKoder
    Options
    I like this one!

I once saw on everybody loves raymond robert was drinking wine. He said "I should work out... but you know what? Drinking makes you happy with your body the way it is"

Obviously not a good mantra to live by but it cracke dme up.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    As my alcoholic mom drank more she got thinner and thinner, but that was because she stopped eating unless she was with me or my sister. Most of her calories were coming from alcohol.

For people who aren't alcoholics, I think drinking can be a different kind of minefield - a fattening minefield. If I have more than one drink I start to think "oh, pizza. Great idea, I'll just eat ALL OF IT."
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options

I have heard before that it's not the alcohol that's the problem, it's the mixers.

So, I should drink my rum straight? No coke or chai?
  • lallaloolly
    lallaloolly Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    They count. Whatever reason they aren't affecting him (yet), I would not assume they won't affect you.
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    <snip>
    One of the great things about alcoholism is how you start replacing food calories with alcohol calories, which still ARE calories, they just don't have any nutrition to them. Oh, wait, no, that's one of the bad things. Drink enough and you stop absorbing nutrients even when you do eat food.

Wow - now I finally know why my severely alcoholic brother, who eats maybe twice a week, weighs over 300 pounds.
  • athens1000
    athens1000 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Everything you put in your body counts!
    This guy is going to realize how much they count in a few years, if not sooner. Life has a funny way of sneaking up on ya!

Not to mention the damage he is doing to his heart, liver and so on....

Nice theory.. I wonder if he thinks somehow wasting his entire paycheck on booze is actually making him richer.
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    My ex was (before he died) an alcholic. He drank every day and worked a full time job. No one knew. He drank for breakfast, and snuck away at lunch. He did not eat dinner. He never ate...except Sunday Mornings until the liquar store opened he gorged himself, He was skinny as a rail and he died at 42 from liver failure. But hey, he was skinny. Maybe your friend is on the same secret diet. Do you see him eat each day?
  • jrojeck
    jrojeck Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Bahahaha! Wouldn't that be awesome if that were the truth? I could party so much more. What can I say? It's more fun when you're drunk but there are consequences.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    mindblown.jpg