Crane Heart Rate Monitor (Aldi)

2»

Replies

• tyglily
    tyglily Posts: 1 Member
    I wanted to respond to the original question. I've been ecstatic thinking I was burning 1500 cal, yes, I'm an idiot. The main setting were on metric. Not sure how everything is going to change now, or what standard unit "sp" is. If you look at ur watch under calories and it says dl, ur using metric too. But I LOVE THIS WATCH ! WISH I could find another one to buy for my sister!;/
  • LaLaLovely76
    LaLaLovely76 Posts: 73 Member
    Thanks, but the gym machine was receiving the same heart rate - right or wrong - so that can't be it.

I have this one as well and I was leery of the readings as well. I did a comparison of the same machine at the Y and the crane is always 200-300 more calories burned than the other readings.....
  • LaLaLovely76
    LaLaLovely76 Posts: 73 Member
    Hello! I just purchased this from Aldi and using it now in fact and used it last night. It seems to work just fine, heart rate wise however the calories burned have got to be some kind of joke! it's giving me twice the amount of the machines and MFP, I mean, it would be great if true but just from the time I slept until now with sleeping and working over 10 hours of not any serious physical activity and it's telling me i've burned 776.05 cals!!! Then there is Fat which says 223.88, not sure what that is. Basically, i'm not going to follow the cals and wait to get a better HRM like next year when I can afford it or maybe Black Friday! Also, I REALLY want a FitBit, those seem to work really well from what I've heard.

This was my thoughts. I got it on discount for $12.99 so I can't really be too upset..I really want the Polar FT4. I'm just sooo leery of those calories burned....
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    So the programming Must be wrong. Do you enter the same weight age etc on the HRM watch, as you do on the machine?

This!^

Calorie burns depend upon many factors: height, weight, age, gender, and exertion level (and more). HRMs compare your resting heart rate against your heart rate while working out to estimate the exertion level.
  • Destynee13
    Destynee13 Posts: 7 Member
    The calories burned is actually pretty accurate. I was told at my gym that they machines are not That accurate and the rather the low end then someone working out and think they are burning to much. Also.. this goes by your heart rate that which is measuring you constantly. Everyone works at different levels. I loooove this watch! I use the chest band .
  • pcdoctor01
    pcdoctor01 Posts: 389 Member
    Me too!

I loooove this watch! I use the chest band .
  • Just got it. Question tho . .. is there a app that will sync and log my efforts?
  • I have just bought this watch and have lost the instructions. I think I've set my max heart rate too low (150) and that's why its telling me that I"m burning so many cals more than the gym equipment. I need to change it to about 170, but I can't find the instructions and a Google search is not getting anything. Could someone who has this watch please scan and email me the page for changing max heart rate? nysremeathotmaildotcom Thanks!
  • emceerands
    emceerands Posts: 1 Member
    When you're all referring to the calories burned and thinking it seems too high, as one said, the hrm said she burned 1500 in a day.. realistically, that around spot on for sedentary activity. You want to see that hit at least 2000 in a day since you should be eating 1200-1500 calories a day minimum. It's not just monitoring the excess burned, it's monitoring it all, less the consumption of food.
  • I like this heart rate monitor. I'm wondering if I can connect it with myfitnessPal iPhone app.
  • TeaBea
    edited October 2014
    emceerands wrote: »
    When you're all referring to the calories burned and thinking it seems too high, as one said, the hrm said she burned 1500 in a day.. realistically, that around spot on for sedentary activity. You want to see that hit at least 2000 in a day since you should be eating 1200-1500 calories a day minimum. It's not just monitoring the excess burned, it's monitoring it all, less the consumption of food.

No...HRMs are for designed for steady state cardio....not to be worn all day.

To get an idea of TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) or manitenance.....lots of on-line calculators give a decent estimate.... Scoobysworkshop.com, iifym.com, etc.

Activity trackers (no heart rate component) are designed to worn all day....these are FitBits and the like.
  • TeaBea
    mmadden30 wrote: »
    Just got it. Question tho . .. is there a app that will sync and log my efforts?

No syncs for heart rate monitors. After your workout, log the number of minutes & plug in calories.

If you have an activity tracker......that will sync to MFP. Here's the list.......

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps?app_category=activity_trackers