3months post partum, breastfeeding. Need help with food

Options
Hi all!! I m exclusively breastfeeding my 3 month old LO. I started with turbo jam 2 days back. can you help me how many carbs or proteins i need to eat daily to lose weight. i need to lose 20 lbs :(..

I have tried adding breastfeeding -500 to counter. but in befit mom they say the same calorie to lose weight as shown in fitness pal without adding -500.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    whats your height, age and weight? We need more information before we can help with calories.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Nursing helps a lot for weight loss, but it does take a while as your little one eats more and more as they get bigger. We used to tell people 6 months for that 20 pounds to come off. You don't need a lot of extra calories to nurse, but you do need LOTS of fluids. A baby drinks around 42 oz of milk a day - and you need to drink that plus what you need. Things like brewer's yeast in smoothies will help your milk, add protein, and give you lots of vitamins and liquids.

Why don't you try setting your calories to maintenance, logging your exercise, and eating it back. If you're really using 500 calories a day, you will lose at that rate. If you aren't after a week or so, you can cut back a little.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on breastfeeding your baby :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I used to be a counsellor, and at that time (30 years ago) it was said that basically a wholemeal cheese sandwich and an apple would give you enough "extra" to ensure you were OK to feed the baby. Not sure what current thinking is. Your body lays on extra fat assuming you will breastfeed, so as you breastfeed the weight should come off if you eat a sensible diet - you don't need to eat for two.

Definitely drink plenty of water. And enjoy the moments with your baby - mine are grown adults now, those precious baby moments go so quickly. :smile:
  • slimtoneneetz
    slimtoneneetz Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My weight is 71.5 kg and height 164 cm
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Base on your stats, workout routine and breast feeding, i would have you around 2100 calories daily. I would also put your macro's around 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats. This should provide your body with adequate nutrition to lose weight and still get enough calories. If you feel tired at any point, you can add another 200 calories as I use 300 as the breast feeding calorie need.