Protein shakes??!!

Options
It seems that everywhere I look these days people are opting for protein shakes. What is up with that?! Are they really that good and are the health benefits really better than fresh natural food?

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Clever advertising, and it's easier to throw money at a quick fix than balance your diet with food
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are ideal for a few reasons. They go down easier for the person that doesn't like eating breakfast, or has little time to even make breakfast. My protein shakes can easily be 300+ cals when I do it smoothie-style and therefore considered a small meal. It's a really good way to boost your protein intake for the day. It's also a good option for vegetarians.
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    It's easy to either love or dismiss them. I use organic whey protein to supplement my diet. I eat about 70% raw food and add whey protein to my green smoothies to make sure I'm getting enough protein. It's a protein choice, same as eggs, chicken, fish or beef without the hormones or heavy metals.

In other words, it has its uses.

Hollycat:flowerforyou:
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I bought a huge thing of protein powder, made like 3 protein shakes that I had to choke down, then decided I like spending my calories on real food way better! I definitely understand the benefits and really, I wanted to be a protein shake girl, but it just didn't work out that way.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    The number one thing to look for in a supplement is that it is what you're looking for to supplement your real food, to hit your nutritional targets.
    The fact remains that the vast majority of users (including users outside this site) have no idea what they need, or what they are getting.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Clever advertising, and it's easier to throw money at a quick fix than balance your diet with food

In terms of price per gram, whey is one of the cheapest sources of protein.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I just have one whey protein shake per day which is for breakfast. Beats oldhabits of scoffing 4 slices of white toast bread smothered with margerine. It also seems to give me a boost for the day and fills me till lunchtime.
  • ktzmom
    ktzmom Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I use a protein shake in the morning to replace breakfast, I'm usually not that hungry first thing. I also use a protein shake as a snack. I don't think they're better or more nutritious than regular food, but they're easy (if they're pre-made) and convenient. It's certainly not because they're cheaper! :)
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    I have one or two of the GNC 25 Lean Shakes a day. Usually right before or after a hard run or workout. Helps my muscles rebuild and on early mornings when I can't make breakfast they are a great alternative. I couldn't tell you if it helps weight loss at all to be honest, I just know it keeps me eating when I need to and gives me lean protein when I need it to help recovery
  • jumperchick
    Options
    i was drinking the special k protein shakes once or twice a day. they tasted good and made me full for a while, but i didnt seem to lose any weight and im not really sure how good they are for you. i honestly dont know much about that kinda thing, so im interested to hear more responses !
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Personally speaking, I find that real foods keep me more satisfied. And, because any protein shake I've ever tasted is sweet, it just makes me want to eat more sweets.....sets me up for failure.

For my money and health, I want real foods high in good dietary fats and proteins.

Great Question!
  • DarthH8
    DarthH8 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    It's like taking a vitamin for your muscles. Shouldn't need it.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    It's like taking a vitamin for your muscles. Shouldn't need it.

huh?
  • goofyblonde
    goofyblonde Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I use protein shakes before and after a workout. It's supposed to help your muscles repair themselves faster so you are less sore the next day.

I don't really use them as a meal replacement, unless I know I'm having a high calorie breakfast or dinner. If I try to add a shake to that, then I go over on my count.

And as for taste... I use a whey protein isolate that I mix with milk so I also get the casein protein. Mixing with milk helps it taste better (the extra protein in a plus too), but you can do just plain water to cut out the added calories.
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    My son is wanting to build muscle .. and of course - he's got to take in a LOT more calories. He uses the protein shakes to supplement his protein only .. not as a replacement for a meal.

He's got a super high metabolism and really has hard time downing 4000 calories a day .. but he does. It's just not all protein, obviously .. although it's a lot .. so he's working on gaining weight and getting enough protein in him for the muscles to build ..not burn off calories he can't afford to burn off when he goes to train/work out.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I take one as a snack most days to try and increase my calorie count and ensure I am getting enough protein. I'll put the dry powder in my shaker bottle, and add water after a work out at the gym. Or add milk if I'm at home, and need some more carbs too. I doubt it is better than *real* food, but it is convenient and allows me to target what might otherwise be a hole in my macros for the day.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    wasting $.
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I like Myofusion Probiotic mostly just to boost my protein for the day plus it tastes sooo good.
  • cemets2873
    Options
    Ultimately I think whole foods - fruits and vegetables are best. But most people don't take the time, nor spend the money to take in all their bodies need. I think this is the benefit of a protein/meal replacement shake. There are many good products out there. I personally utilize Shakeology, a completely natural whole food shake with several super food ingredients.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I use protein shakes as a big part of eating back my exercise calories. I don't use them on days I don't work out.
    This allows me to create a habit of "normal" eating for every day and add the calories and protein only when I need them.