Weighted Hula Hoops

Options
Does anyone else use weighted hoops? if so, how do you record your exercise on here? the only hooping I can see is the Wii fit hula hooping.

Also has anyone had any good results using weighted hoops? I had twins 3 years ago and although I am at my pre-pregnancy weight I am a different shape (boo!) and cannot shift the weight around my waist and stomach :-( I am hoping the weighted hoop will help tone this area!!!

Replies

• PrincessCraddock
    Options
    I just looked into this last night. I read online that on average you burn 200 calories with 30 minutes of using a weighted hula hoop. So that is what I went off of. I haven't been active with the hula hoop, but I'm changing that and hoping to see good results. Good luck! =)
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    How do you hula hoop? I have enough trouble getting the non weight ones to rotate... in fact, I CAN'T get them to rotate. A weighted one just sounds like trouble to me. *flinch*
  • 1sisrat
    1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM to see how many cal i burn when I use my weighted hula hoop. I burn about 75 cal/ 10 min if I'm doing moderate and 100 cal/10 min if I'm working it hard. I tend to work harder with good music on and to make my 6 month odl daughter laugh. I love hula hooping! I've gotten so that I don't mess up hardly at all in a 30 min session. I usually do it in conjunciton with a pilates DVD before hand.
  • PrincessCraddock
    Options
    How do you hula hoop? I have enough trouble getting the non weight ones to rotate... in fact, I CAN'T get them to rotate. A weighted one just sounds like trouble to me. *flinch*

The weighted ones are actually much easier to keep up. =)
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

Really? Hearing that makes me want to get one.

My favorite work outs are those inspired by childhood games.

Skipping.
    Running.
    Hula Hooping.
    Etc.
  • PrincessCraddock
    Options

Skipping.
    Running.
    Hula Hooping.
    Etc.

I bought mine on Amazon with a hula hoop DVD. I think I paid like $39 for it. It takes a little getting used to, and you will be sore at first. Depending on which kind you get, you might get bruised the first few times you use it. It will get easier with time though. I like to run, but it does not like me. My siatic nerve tends to start hurting after a little while of running. =(
  • bgrune131
    bgrune131 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I had a weighted hula hoop at one point...did the workout and everything...ended up with bruised hip bones the next day. Not just slightly, like purple bruised hip bones. Hurt like hell. Never did it again.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options

Skipping.
    Running.
    Hula Hooping.
    Etc.

Does that include Skip-it? If I still had one of those, I probably never would've gotten overweight!
  • lynnacuff
    Options
    need a hula hoop....my hipbones are mia
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I use a pogo stick with resistance bands
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I hula hoop about as well as I dance...

tumblr_lyq48dcNJs1rnuixro1_250.gif
    4gifwhitepeoplefriday.gif?1318992465
    jaydance.gif
    124635639038253mr.gif
  • Niki_Fawn
    Niki_Fawn Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It's normal to bruise with these. I bought one a few years ago was bruising the first few times but my core got stronger and grew a tolerance. No more bruising for me either. I sometimes hoop in front of my favorite TV Show and during my breaks in the office. It's a fun way to change things up. It's fun to watch my co workers attempt it. Some are pretty good at t actually. Others...not so much. haha
    I had a weighted hula hoop at one point...did the workout and everything...ended up with bruised hip bones the next day. Not just slightly, like purple bruised hip bones. Hurt like hell. Never did it again.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Be careful using too heavy of a hula hoop. You'll get all hulked up around the midsection and lose your thin feminine waist. I recommend using the lightest, cheapest hula hoop you can find. Good luck!
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I use a weighted hula hoop and do it while watching crap tv.
  • ShiraDarling
    ShiraDarling Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Be careful using too heavy of a hula hoop. You'll get all hulked up around the midsection and lose your thin feminine waist. I recommend using the lightest, cheapest hula hoop you can find. Good luck!

Not true at all. I use a weighted hula hoop and have for about 4 years now, I use the heaviest one you can buy and I have a small midsection, 27 inch waist. It won't make you bulky, it makes you tighter and therefore smaller. One thing I will say though, is a person shouldn't be using a weighted hula hoop for more than 15-20mins a day. It's the equivalent of being consistently punched in your midsection for 15-20 minutes.. so ya, not good to do for super long sessions. haha. Need to take care of those organs.
  • traceyjay1
    Options
    Hello! only just seen the replies to my post.... thank you for all replies :-) xx

I find using a weighted one soooo much easier than a normal one, I think the momentum in it helps it carry on swinging.

I too had loads of bruises round my hips. The first time I used it I got a bit hula happy and prob did it too long for a first go - next day OUCH! I had to wait a week before I could attempt it again, although i'm still getting a few little bruises it doesn't hurt so i'm toughing it out in the hope that it will work my waist as I find it so easy to do and a great exercise to do in front of the tv. It's good know that some of you have found it has tightened this area, I can only dream of a 27inch waist!!

I'm pleased to say my hula hooping is A LOT better than I dance haha :-)
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    You should totally get a hula hoop with lights as the make great videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPOn7iVktqQ
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    If by "regular" hula hoop you mean the light plastic ones sold for children, then yes, a weighted one is much easier to keep spinning! What adults need to start are LARGER diameter hoops than the ones sold for children. Larger, heavier hoops have more centrifugal force and can stay up while spinning slowly. It also helps to turn in the same direction as your hoop -- that allows you to spin the hoop even more slowly without losing it.

If you want to get into hoop dance, the best type of hoop to start with is not a weighted hoop, but a hoop made from irrigation tubing. Most people start with a hoop that is large enough that when you stand it on the ground in front of you, it is taller than your belly button.

As you get more proficient with hooping, you can move to smaller and lighter hoops, which have to be spun a lot faster to stay up. It remains an excellent workout!
  • seed_of_wonder
    seed_of_wonder Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    ive done it before, had a great time but went a little overboard and ended up doing it for 4 straight hours...
    this was the outcome
    Image-1.jpg

ha whoops
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Adding weights to hula hoops just ensures that i will bruise my toes AS I throw out my back trying desperately to get that stupid thing to go around more than once!! I SUCK at hula hoops.