What do you or don't you count as exercise?

Options

Replies

• n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Don't track anything exercise related. I use a number based on multiple online counters and my activity/exercise level, and just eat that average or thereabouts every day.
  • chelle_fri
    chelle_fri Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I don't count my daily routine- work, light house cleaning, babysitting etc. Anything beyond that I count, but i'll only eat back "true exercise" calories like runs, insanity, yoga etc.
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    Ditto, people who count cleaning and mowing the lawn totally crack me up!

Wear your HRM and come mow my lawn with my push mower and see if that still cracks you up as a calorie burn not worthy of logging.
  • pipeman1012
    Options
    My typical workout consist of 14 miles on the exercise bike, 100 jumping jacks, and 20 squats. The only thin I count is the bike. Truthfully I don't know how to count the jumping jacks or squats. BTW, I started out with just the bike and have been adding things as I go along, to mix it up a little. I never eat my exercise calories back.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I don't count quick dog walks when I'm just taking him out to relieve himself (we live in a condo), but if we are walking a distance (at least half a mile), then I usually count it. We go very slowly, so not like it burns many calories, but some days that's all the exercise I count. Don't log housecleaning or the walking around I do at work.
  • jsheehan46
    jsheehan46 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    So the reason we count is because weight loss for the most part comes down to simple math. When cutting weight (fat) we want to burn more than we consume - pretty much that simple.

We all burn calories living and MFP takes into account different base level based on your overall activity level when you set it up.....someone driving to work everyday and sitting at a desk would burn less than the same sized person that mowed lawns for a living. So IMHO routine everyday tasks like cleaning are taken into account in your BMR....excercise is something we purposly do to change one side of the equation.

So you can count whatever you want, but if your "math" is not adding up (results) to what the equations says it should you are either not counting enough in your consumption or over counting your burn.....if you are getting the results that the math says you should then you are counting what you should.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I think it will depend on what you entered in your activity level. If you said your lightly active because you walk your dogs everyday then you shouldn't count that again. If you are set to sedentary, then you would enter it since it's not included alreaady in your calorie allowance.

This.

I would get some sort of activity tracker that syncs with MFP and let it decide how active you are.
  • lallaloolly
    lallaloolly Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    i have a desk job, so i count the things that raise my heart rate for a sustained period (i.e. daily walk with my dog), including housework. i wasn't convinced on the housework, so i decided to wear my heart rate monitor while doing it a few weekends in a row, and i burn a CRAZY high amount of calories.
  • tigerlinly
    tigerlinly Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Based on what the person told you, I think you need a new nutritionist. Using their logic, if you ran an hour every day, that would count as an every day activity.

They don't need a new nutritionist. Just don't count anything you do normally during the day that isn't performed for the purpose of getting exercise.

i agree yes i log it when i walk the dog for my mom not because it is something i do all the time (or should do all the time) but its because we are both in need of the excersice and should do it more often then we do
  • marissa4354
    Options
    I think it will depend on what you entered in your activity level. If you said your lightly active because you walk your dogs everyday then you shouldn't count that again. If you are set to sedentary, then you would enter it since it's not included alreaady in your calorie allowance.

^^^^THIS!
  • wanda9501
    Options
    This is always a huge debate.
    Do whatever YOU want. Screw everyone else. lol

I don't log my general daily cleaning, but I do log it if I bust my *kitten* scrubbing my 5 bdrm/ 2 story home for an hour or 2. I've worn my HRM doing it, and burn more than I do during my P90X workouts. SO I feel like I should count that. And personally I don't give a s**t what other people think of MY exercise :)
    :tongue:

I'm the same way. Cleaning the kitchen after dinner...no! Saturday morning, top to bottom cleaning yes, I count that !!
  • kristamarie91
    kristamarie91 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Well it really depends on how she calculated your calories and how active you are during the day. She might have meant since she calculated your calories with stuff you do everyday then don't count those things because they are already accounted for in your caloric intake. But if she calculated you at Sedentary (which I prefer because then I know how many calories I actually burned, v.s. an estimate) then I would log those calories burned. It just depends on how you want to do it and how she calculated it.
  • TazzytheMotivator
    TazzytheMotivator Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I do not count cleaning, and never eat back my exercise calories. It takes 3,500 calories to gain or lose a pound. I count running , jogging, jazz exercise, treadmill, walking at the track ect ,,,
  • kmarie0614
    kmarie0614 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    This is always a huge debate.
    Do whatever YOU want. Screw everyone else. lol

I don't log my general daily cleaning, but I do log it if I bust my *kitten* scrubbing my 5 bdrm/ 2 story home for an hour or 2. I've worn my HRM doing it, and burn more than I do during my P90X workouts. SO I feel like I should count that. And personally I don't give a s**t what other people think of MY exercise :)
    :tongue:

And THIS is WHY i <3 you! Well said!
  • Neequie
    Options
    If you walk your dog every day it wouldn't count as exercise IF you have adjusted properly in your profile how active you are. In the begiining when you set up MFP it asked how active you are...sedentary, moderate etc., and I believe it defines each. If not, you can look it up on Livestrong.com (another great site/tool to use when you can't find answers here!!) I had help setting up my profile from a medical professional, but otherwise UGH! You can also go back and change at any time if your lifestyle or work changes on here. If I don't know/am unsure of the answer I will help you find it. I personally only count the things I don't do in my every day life. I chase a very active child a lot of the day, do laundry, garden, etc., on various days, but don't count any of it. It's just BONUS if you ask me!! I don't eat back my calories either as I have approx. 50 pounds more to lose. For me, I have stopped looking at working out as a chore, more of a stress and pain reliever and sleep aid. It has helped me immensly over the past year and now I consider it my ME time! I also joined a gym..Planet Fitness. I can't say enough good things about them! I got the black card membership that entitles you to full use of the facilities...meaning tanning (*aaaahhh!!) working out in the movie room (in the dark) and massage chairs!! NO I don't work for them!! LOL!! I hope my answer helped!!
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I pretty much do what your nutritionist said as far as counting vs. not counting.

For example: INSANITY video in the morning = definitely counted! Pulling a wagon with both of my kids in it for our walk into town = something I normally do, not counted.

I was already walking into town with the kids frequently before trying to lose weight and that wasn't making any dent. As for eating back my calories, it depends - I sometimes eat back some of them, but never all of them.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    If I break a sweat, it gets counted :happy:

Do what works for you ...... and best of luck with your weight loss !
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    When I go shopping, after I come home, I log it as 'gentle walking' or something like that. It DOES count, to me, as I am sedentary as a sloth. Any activity where I am upright and ambulating is counted as exercise. But that's just me.
  • spangey13
    Options
    Based on what the person told you, I think you need a new nutritionist. Using their logic, if you ran an hour every day, that would count as an every day activity.

So I run my dog for between 40-50 minutes every day. But that is an every day activity so it doesn't count. Does that mean that if I eat chocolate every day, then that is also an every day activity and therefore should not be counted?
  • spangey13
    Options
    If you walk your dog every day it wouldn't count as exercise IF you have adjusted properly in your profile how active you are. In the begiining when you set up MFP it asked how active you are...sedentary, moderate etc., and I believe it defines each. If not, you can look it up on Livestrong.com (another great site/tool to use when you can't find answers here!!) I had help setting up my profile from a medical professional, but otherwise UGH! You can also go back and change at any time if your lifestyle or work changes on here. If I don't know/am unsure of the answer I will help you find it. I personally only count the things I don't do in my every day life. I chase a very active child a lot of the day, do laundry, garden, etc., on various days, but don't count any of it. It's just BONUS if you ask me!! I don't eat back my calories either as I have approx. 50 pounds more to lose. For me, I have stopped looking at working out as a chore, more of a stress and pain reliever and sleep aid. It has helped me immensly over the past year and now I consider it my ME time! I also joined a gym..Planet Fitness. I can't say enough good things about them! I got the black card membership that entitles you to full use of the facilities...meaning tanning (*aaaahhh!!) working out in the movie room (in the dark) and massage chairs!! NO I don't work for them!! LOL!! I hope my answer helped!!

I'd be moving in if that was my gym.