fitbit

i need some advice about the fitbit- i am looking into getting one and I see that they have one that tracks movement during day for $60 and then for an additional $40 I can get one that tracks my sleeping patterns as well... anyone with fitbit- which one do u have? do u think it is worth it to spend the extra $40?

Looking forward to any feedback you might have!

Thanks so much!! :)

Replies

• ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    The 99$ one also tracks floors climbed, but the $60 one doesn't (I believe)
  • soobie
    soobie Posts: 69 Member
    I just got the 99 dollar one, it is called the fitbit one. I really like it. It measures sleep as well as stairs climbed. My mother in law has the fitbit zip and that works well for her, it is 59 dollars. I really like how it syncs with MFP and my iphone. I'm still trying to figure out the best way for them to work well together.
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 999 Member
    Personally nothing that device tells me is going to make me change how I sleep. I wore it a couple of times for sleep but I really didn't see the benefits.
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    My fit bit ultra was only $79 and it tracks both floors and sleep. I love the sleep function!
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    I went for the $99 one. (At that time they didn't have the $60 one)
    I was soooo excited to use the sleep feature. But honestly never really have used it lol ... So its turned out to be a waste for me to have that feature.
    (You can only hit the button the second your about to go to sleep, not while laying in bed reading, watching tv etc... bc of that, I eventually fall asleep and forget to hit the button lol)

But I am a fan of counting the floors, bc I have a 2 story house, so it's nice to see how many times a day I go up those things!!
  • I have a fitbit ultra(slightly older model than the new One) and I like being able to keep tabs on my sleep so that I have a pretty good idea of how much sleep I do or do not get. Plus it does a good job of helping me regulate how much I should eat with the calorie counter.
  • shonovo
    shonovo Posts: 104
    My fit bit ultra was only $79 and it tracks both floors and sleep. I love the sleep function!

are they still selling the ultra? i didnt see it on their website?
  • Verizon stores as well as A T&T stores(I think) have it.
  • alfpalmer
    alfpalmer Posts: 150 Member
    i have had one since they first came out almost 4 years ago - at that time there was only one model and it tracked sleep. It recently cracked and fitbit, who has THE most amazing customer support team ever, replaced it free... so now i have the one that tracks the stairs, and sleep, I really like the stair feature but i honestly don't give a flip about the sleep feature. I have horrible sleep habits, I know that and the fitbit does nothing to change that - only confirms it.
  • hollin40
    hollin40 Posts: 120 Member
    I have the Ultra and LOVE IT!!!! If you run or walk, it counts hills as sets of steps. Some days I go 25+ sets of stairs from all the hills. It's great!!!
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member

are they still selling the ultra? i didnt see it on their website?
    I got mine from Amazon.

I turn it on when I crawl into bed - with the TV on - and it still tells me how long it takes to fall asleep. I think it's the coolest thing! I don't use it to tell me how to sleep - I use it to tell me HOW I actually slept.
  • judykmmg
    judykmmg Posts: 56 Member
    I have the Fitbit One. I also love the sleep feature. It tells if I wake up at night - which I don't very often. I am a hard sleeper! If you forget to set it, you can input the times. When I put the time in and it tells me it took 0 min to fall asleep, I input a sooner time - until it has only taken me 20 minutes to fall asleep. There is an edit feature on the sleep log. But it depends on if you want that or not. For me, I'm glad I spent the extra. In fact, I had the Ultra and bought the One because it syncs wirelessly with my iPhone. I haven't regretted it either.
  • shonovo
    thanks guys!!!
  • CLD79
    CLD79 Posts: 53 Member
    I have used both. I prefer the cheaper one because as long as I know when I went to bed and when I wake up I can manually plug it in to track sleep. The tracking floors feature is ok, but it can get messed up when driving. Plus the cheaper one holds up a little better with water, so I don't have to worry about sweat or rain messing it up. Just my opinion.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    What happens if you wake up in the middle of the night to have sex?

J/k

But, how does it know you sleep? How does it work for strength training? How does it compare to your HRM if you go running or biking? I just don't get how it works? My understanding is that's it is just a pedometer.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    It is really an accurate pedometer. Ok for exercise if your running but really for general activity. A lot if people use that and a HRM for exercise. I think the old ultra is being sold cheay in some places cthis however isn't so water resistant and doesn't link directly with a phone (note only the iPhone 4S, 5 and ipad 3)

I agree about the sleep feature - interesting for a night but then what!! Just tracks your movement at night- not really your sleep.

The Zip is the biggest if all three though - may show if you wear it on your bra!
  • jaz050465
    There's also the new STRIIV Play!!
  • jaz050465
    and the Bodybug/ Body media fit
  • shonovo
    thanks! does anyone know if there is a monthly subscription to pay for the online resources?
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    thanks! does anyone know if there is a monthly subscription to pay for the online resources?

Really good question.

Other than the $99 or $59, are there any other fees at all? Anything?

Also, does it link via Wifi, or only bluetooth via one of the designated technologies?