Ladies: Not pregnant but TOM is MIA...?

Options

Replies

• BelleHeart
    BelleHeart Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I think your body just needs time to adjust! Stress can also affect TOM.
  • xcgirl078
    xcgirl078 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    When I got really into calorie-counting and exercise, I lost mine for about 6 months. I had to start eating a lot more fat to get it to come back!!
  • bigsisterdice
    Options
    i would maybe comsider keeping a journal of your cycles

i didnt even think to suggest it, but this is probably the most helpful thing to do, and there are plenty of good apps out there specifically for it :) i personally use 'pink pad'
  • Sarahcuda
    Options
    i would maybe comsider keeping a journal of your cycles, you could even do that on here in your food diary just add a food item that is zero calories. Might I suggest Aunt Flo's zero calorie treats LOL?!

Hahaha that is such a genius idea!

If you have a smart phone there are a couple of good apps to keep track of the cycle (and weight)... the one I use is mycalendar.
  • sallysuze
    sallysuze Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    How late are you?
    Sometimes pg tests don't come up +ve until a few weeks later... you can indeed be pg even if the test is neg, as the test is based on hormones which don't reach the critical concentration until later in some women.

If you haven't had sex at any time in the previous month, and no swimmers got anywhere near you, then that is a different story.
  • lizblizz2012
    lizblizz2012 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    How late are you?
    Sometimes pg tests don't come up +ve until a few weeks later... you can indeed be pg even if the test is neg, as the test is based on hormones which don't reach the critical concentration until later in some women.

If you haven't had sex at any time in the previous month, and no swimmers got anywhere near you, then that is a different story.

Well.... I'm a newlywed.... sooo..... yeah enough said. I will test again if more time goes by and it still hasn't shown up. Thank you! I didn't know this. I just though the day you missed a period you could test. And officially I am 6 days late.
  • sallysuze
    Options
    6 days late???? and newly wed....????

Hmm if a negative test tomorrow with the first pee of the morning then if I was you I would take a trip to the dr and have a blood test to rule pg in or out.

(Personally I would say congrats... ;) )
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Mine goes weird when I make a change, whether it's a move, job change or most recently, half-marathon training. Just be patient and try again with the PG test in a week or two.
  • lizblizz2012
    Options
    6 days late???? and newly wed....????

Hmm if a negative test tomorrow with the first pee of the morning then if I was you I would take a trip to the dr and have a blood test to rule pg in or out.

(Personally I would say congrats... ;) )

Oh my, I'm nervous now lol. I though a negative test meant there was almost zero chance of pregnancy. I even bought the expensive name brand tests, not the dollar store kind. Here I thought the only other possibility was the diet change.
  • sallysuze
    Options
    :)
    If you are pg then after implantation your body starts producing hcg, a hormone. Implantation can be around 10 days after ovulation, but earlier or later in some women.
    Some women produce a lot of hcg, others not so much, and it can be different between pregnancies depending on a myriad of factors.
    A pg test analyses hcg. The tests are sensitive to a certain level, below which there may be hcg present but not enough to make a positive test. Over time more hcg will be produced, and eventually the pg test will be positive for every pg woman.
    So you can test 'too early'.

The blood tests at the drs are more sensitive than the pee on a sticks, so can pick up a pg earlier.

All will become clear in time :)
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    False negatives can be caused by a variety of factors. Some women don't produce enough hCG early on, especially if they conceived near the due date for their period, so the test won't pick it up. I read that something like 9 out of 15 negatives are false when done in the first couple weeks after conception.

Give it another week and test again. Remember to do the test first thing in the morning. If you can't wait that long, I'd see a doctor and get a blood test. If anything, they can resolve the issue with the late period. Even people who are always, always, always on time can have a late cycle once in a while, but they can help you rule out something else (if you aren't pregnant).

Good luck. :)
  • lizblizz2012
    Options
    Okay.... I know the first morning pee contains the most concentrated hCG.... but I thought it would show up in all pee (unless very diluted). Makes sense though.
  • sallysuze
    Options
    nope 1st pee of the day makes a huge difference.
    Be sure to update us, won't you :)
  • lizblizz2012
    Options
    nope 1st pee of the day makes a huge difference.
    Be sure to update us, won't you :)

I will. I will pee on the stick in the morning and promptly update :)
  • happythermia
    Options
    I've missed mine due to stress a couple of times. Just keep an eye on it, and if you keep missing it - go to the dr!

LOL in the meantime think of it as a vacation ;-)
  • lizblizz2012
    Options
    LOL in the meantime think of it as a vacation ;-)

Hahaha haven't looked at it that way
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I lost mine for 10 months and never got an explanation. The only thing thing the doctor really told me is that it was probably because of the dramatic lifestyle change.

Once I got it for more than a few hours, they put me on BC and now I get it for 2 days monthly.. At least for the past 3 months.

I know people are like... Why would you be mad?! But it's scary to not know what's going on with your body.

Try not to stress about it! That could keep it away even longer.

Good luck :)
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I've missed periods from stress before. I missed almost 3 months in a row in the months leading up to my undergraduate graduation and finals.

Try to make sure you're eating good healthy food and getting enough rest. It'll help tremendously.

Just to be 100% sure, you should get a pregnancy test done at the doctor's office (blood test). If you miss more than one, definitely go see a doctor to make sure you don't have something more serious going on.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Are you dropping weight really fast? That will stop Aunt Flow from visiting. Also, if you are working out vigorously, that will do it too. I would call the doc if it's more than 2 months late though. :wink:
  • small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I haven't had mine for 3 months. I'm definitely NOT pregnant. I'm due to see a doctor about it in a couple of weeks. Last time he said it could be a mix of stress + diet/exercise.